Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

would you recommend DT50 combo?

chrisblythenz

I've seen a good deal on a second hand DT50 probably a 2014 model.

I've read a lot of reviews from 2011ish that diss the DT50 quite a lot.  Lots of poor sound issues, hums, volume loss and so on.  Some people have also found the integration with the HD500 poor.

I was wondering if these were teething troubles and the recent amps and firmware are all good.  I see the DT range has been whittled down, and the Firehawk 1500 looks interesting.

Any comments?

Chris

I've read a lot of reviews from 2011ish that diss the DT50 quite a lot.  Lots of poor sound issues, hums, volume loss and so on.  Some people have also found the integration with the HD500 poor.

I was wondering if these were teething troubles and the recent amps and firmware are all good.  I see the DT range has been whittled down, and the Firehawk 1500 looks interesting.

Any comments?

Chris

There's really only one way to find out and that's to take the plunge. Just like swimming, don't dip your feet just jump.

So many different experiences out there and each one is special, lol.

Any comments?

Chris

I have both DT50 and DT25.  I play the DT25, and am saving my DT50-112 for a future where I need more volume. The 2 amps are amazingly similar sonically.  I recommend the HD500 (or HD300/400) to unleash the potential in these amps.  Without it, some are using MIDI to configure the 2 channels (with the latest firmware), but with it you don't just have 2 amazingly configurable channels, you have hundreds.  Poor integration?  No, it's excellent integration.  I'm guessing that the gripes are about the volume level disparities between the different amp models, which in my opinion is a very poor design choice by Line 6 common to both the HDs and the DTs.

The main flaw in the DT50, which the DT25 doesn't have, is a very loud noise floor.  It puts out a lot of hiss, particularly in voice III.  This was driving me crazy in my basement, but I never even noticed it when playing in a band, even between songs.  Right now folks are giving it away, but I'm predicting the DT50 will be highly sought-after in a few years because it's got more power. 

I'm fairly certain that the last DT50 to come off the assembly line wasn't any different than the first, except firmware and fuses (which are easily upgraded).  My advice:  If you have an HD pedal, you will love the DT.  If you aren't afraid to play with MIDI, you still might love the DT.  If you play alone in a small room, don't get the DT50, get the DT25.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do not buy! They are junk!  I had nothing but problems with my DT-25 that is less than 2 yrs old. Purchased it new from GC.  My amp was well maintained and not abused.  I would play may be 2 hrs a week on avg with it. Line 6 can not make tube analog gear. That's why you do not see the next version of the DT amp series being made. They know it too.

If you are broke like me I suggest trying out some of the 80's Yamaha and Peavey amps. They are solid state amps and mine are both 100 watts with one 12" speaker and take to the HD500X quite nicely. I paid $80 for the Peavey "silver stripe" Bandit (looks new) and $150 for the Yamaha G100-112. The secret weapon is a 

Eminence Delta Pro-12A 12" Cast Frame Driver, though a PA speaker a lot of guitarists love them. I have a cheap way of having two 100 watt amps to run in stereo now.