Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help wiring the effects loop properly

MarcintheCloud

Hi folks, 

I bought an Orange tube amp to have something 'tubey' to mess around with. The dry sound is great but would like to add some delay/reverb and the option to put a tube screamer model in the front. 

My goal is to 'preserve' the Orange's pre amp so that it's gain, volume, and tone shape knobs all work. I currently have my firehawk wired to the Orange using the 4 cable method: http://guitargearfinder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/4-cable-method-hd500x.jpg 

My issue is that now it is as if the pre amp is completely bypassed on the Orange (the volum, gain, tone shape etc is ignored). As a result, it's like the power amp is on full volume and from the Firehawk, I had to turn down the guitar/master output down to basically nothing. 

On the firehawk side, I have the 'amp' and 'cab' models to none. Is there something else I need to do? Or is there a better way to wire the firehawk to the amp? Again, my goal is to keep the knobs on the Orange amp working and just add a bit of delay, reverb, and boost in the front. 

Thanks for any help/suggestions! 

Best,

Marc 

But did you turn on the FX loop on the remote app? The Firehawk sees the orange as a device in the fx loop chain. Also, if you are running the newest firmware, you should move the FX loop (like a device) in front of the "amp" in the app's signal chain and make sure it is turned on. Play with those amp out and line out little buttons near the jacks on back of the FH. You may need to change your output.

Jim

Thanks! I do have the amps on the Firehawk turned off. Is it normal for the oranges amp controls to be completely disabled then? It doesn't sound like I'm getting the oranges pre amp as the gain and tone shaping knobs are all bypassed still.

I have the OR15, all the controls are before the FX return in the circuit. So it would appear you are routed straight into the power amp. As above, activate the FX loop and adjust the loop levels in the app.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,I manage to connect the four cable method and it works fine,and I'm using the amp distortion plus effects from the FH,one of my amps is laney IRT Studio,can I use the FH to switch the channels from Laney ,instead of using the original amp foot switch, and how can I set the FH loop in app ,so it gives me the option to use it as a channel selected