Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as recording interface in ProTools

chillbillyscott

I'm trying to use my Helix as a recording interface to my MacBook Pro running ProTools.  I'm having problems trying to see the different USB in's and out's in Pro Tools.  I am connected via USB.  I would love to be able to use the Helix for recording, re-amping, vocal recording and monitoring....any ideas?  Thanks.....

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Im having the same issue on Windows 7 Protools 11, I can edit patches via USB with the app so I figured the driver is ok- but in and outs do not show. I can switch to the Helix driver in the playback engine but still nothing shows.

Strange .....

This is a pro tools question... go to I/O's and click the default button under each tab, then you will see them and be able to assign them to tracks, I think there is a template for the re-amping with Helix. (in the Helix presets)

some one else posted this before:

These instructions are from page 46 of the Line6 manual from the section "DI Recording and Re-amplification". There is an illustration which I could not cut and paste that shows how to connect the Helix to your DAW and studio monitors:

Re-amping Through Helix
If your DAW software provides options for routing individual audio tracks to outputs other than just the main Helix USB Out 1/2, then you can use these steps for re-amping a dry recorded DI track back through Helix.
1. In your DAW software, set the DI track's Output setting to a Helix stereo USB Out other than USB Out 1/2. For this example we'll use Helix USB Out 3/4.
2. Create a new stereo track in your DAW project and set this track's Input and Output both to USB 1/2 - Let's name this track "Re-amped." Arm the track for recording.

NOTE: In some DAW software it may be necessary to also activate the software monitoring feature on this "re-amped" track to monitor the Helix-processed signal when playing back your project. See your software's documentation

3. On Helix, select the Input block and set it to receive from the same USB stereo pair (USB In 3/4) and keep the Output block set to "Multi." Load your choice of amps and effects on the current Helix preset.
4. Now play your DAW project and you'll hear the DI track "re-amped" through your Helix! Adjust the DI track's volume slider to make sure the signal feeding into Helix is not too hot. Tweak your Helix amp & effects as desired while listening with the playback of your project mix.
5. Once you have your re-amplified guitar tone they way you like it, Solo both the DI and re-amped tracks, rewind to the start of the project and hit the DAW Record button, allowing it to capture the signal into the new re-amped track in real-time.
Allow the DI track to play to the end, stop recording and you've created your new re-amped guitar track!

TIP: Note that you still have your original Guitar DI track, and you can repeat this process to create additional re-amped tracks with different Helix settings, add plug-ins, blend with your original guitar track and more.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried that already as it happens but all I can see is more inputs which I don't have. My mbox is the mini and only has 2. Nothing labelled USB is listed. When I have Helix as the playback engine, im still getting sound in and out of protools via the mbox,  I'm not sure at this point whether its Protools or the Helix. I've no reason to think the Helix might be the problem as I can update it via their app without problems.

Is ChilBillyScot Scott still having trouble?

So frustrating

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried that already as it happens but all I can see is more inputs which I don't have. My mbox is the mini and only has 2. Nothing labelled USB is listed. When I have Helix as the playback engine, im still getting sound in and out of protools via the mbox,  I'm not sure at this point whether its Protools or the Helix. I've no reason to think the Helix might be the problem as I can update it via their app without problems.

Is ChilBillyScot Scott still having trouble?

So frustrating

I don't think you can run both interfaces at the same time in PT unless one goes through the others digital connection and then you are limited to the two digital channels for it... unless they (Avid) changed some thing. You could call Avid support but you have to pay for it unless you just bought PT

Try unplugging the Mbox and try the I/O thing again and I'll bet it works...

Yeah i've done that, still doesn't show, I might take it right off and then re install the Helix driver but im losing hope

Avid support might be your only hope... it always has worked for me PT11 win7, PT12 Win 7, pt12.5 win 10....   maybe try another cable just to rule that out...

• 1 year later...

Trying to record multiple guitar tracks using helix and pro tools and a fairly good Lenovo running windows 10. If I use the ASIO helix as the playback engine, I can record a track, but I cannot hear that track when I try to record the second guitar track?

are you using headphones or monitors?  When I record with Helix as interface I plug monitors into helix. 

Should work just as interface