Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 59 won't connect to workbench HD

I've downloaded the WORKBENCH HD software, connected the DVI cable to the guitar and computer, connected a guitar cable to the guitar and turned the guitar on, but Workbench and the Computer won't connect. Do I need the workbench interface? Do I need to connect to an amp as well? I just want to update my JTV59. Any help?

A VDI cable has RJ-45 type connectors on both ends. This will not work if connected to an Ethernet port on your computer. You need to use the Workbench hardware interface, which converts an RJ-45 connection from your JTV to a USB connection to your computer.

Alternatively you can use a POD Hd500X or ProX device as the workbench interface.

... And yes, you do need to connect the guitar output to an amp or multiFX device. Workbench HD does not produce audio; your JTV guitar does that.

• Upvote 1

For those that have searched to this thread something you have to always do is make sure you have the battery charged and in your variax as well as an audio jack plugged in, otherwise the guitar will not use the battery and it WILL NOT use usb power.

Does not matter if you plug the audio jack into an amp, it just has to be fully inserted into the guitar. 

Then the variax will talk over vdi-to-usb to your software.  

I always forget the need to insert 1/4" cable and have a temporary panic :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all - I am still troubleshooting this problem and believe I've taken all the proper steps:  Variax JTV-59 battery charged, using Variax-supplied USB interface, 1/4" audio cable plugged into the guitar, both green lights on (on USB interface), volume knob up, and Line6 Monkey see both USB interface and Variax just fine.  But Workbench HD will not connect.  

I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 on a 3-year old MacBook Pro.  The Variax is brand new.  I cannot install older Workbench on this OS.

Help??

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I may have found the answer. My setup is practically the same as DNHurwitz18, with a Mac Pro running Mavericks. Been scratching my head why Workbench wouldn't see the JTV, until I restarted (again!) and started Workbench as the first application. And voila, there is was. 

Tested and fiddled around a bit more and discovered that now that WB was seeing the guitar, Monkey couldn't! So apparently only ONE application can connect to the guitar at the same time.

Closed WB and started Monkey and yes, it was visible there.

Hope this helps anyone wondering about Workbench and the JTV.

• Upvote 1