Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best setup using a POD HD 500x with a Fender Mustang III V2

ldgante

Hi all,

I currently own a POD HD 500x and a Fender Mustang III V2. I was wondering if anyone here in the forum have use these 2 together. I need and advise to be able to get the best result. Should I use the 4 cable method? also what settings should I set the amp to get the best out of my POD HD pedal board.

Thank you 

I used a Mustang IV for several years before moving over to a POD and FRFR rig.  Other than just using the POD as an extended effects board, I'm not sure you're going to be very happy integrating the two.  The Mustang is pretty much a stand alone modeling system as is the POD (minus the output amp/cabinet).  But it's not clear how you want to use these two together.

You could use the Mustang as a pure output amp for the POD, but the Mustang isn't really all that great as a pure amp and it's speaker arrangement kind of depends on amp and cabinet modeling to achieve it's sound.  With a 4 cable method I suppose you could augment the effects chain of the Mustang although the Mustang III has many of the same effects as the POD.  Ultimately you have to decide which of these units is going to do the amp/speaker modeling and manually coordinating patches between the POD and Mustang to switch it on the fly seems awfully complex for any small benefit you might gain.

I'm not discrediting the Mustang at all.  Mine served me well for several years and we still use a Mustang III in our band for the rhythm guitar player, but I find it hard to imagine any significant benefit in trying to integrate the two.

I used a Mustang IV for several years before moving over to a POD and FRFR rig. Other than just using the POD as an extended effects board, I'm not sure you're going to be very happy integrating the two. The Mustang is pretty much a stand alone modeling system as is the POD (minus the output amp/cabinet). But it's not clear how you want to use these two together.

You could use the Mustang as a pure output amp for the POD, but the Mustang isn't really all that great as a pure amp and it's speaker arrangement kind of depends on amp and cabinet modeling to achieve it's sound. With a 4 cable method I suppose you could augment the effects chain of the Mustang although the Mustang III has many of the same effects as the POD. Ultimately you have to decide which of these units is going to do the amp/speaker modeling and manually coordinating patches between the POD and Mustang to switch it on the fly seems awfully complex for any small benefit you might gain.

I'm not discrediting the Mustang at all. Mine served me well for several years and we still use a Mustang III in our band for the rhythm guitar player, but I find it hard to imagine any significant benefit in trying to integrate the two.

+1...

Nothing is impossible if you poke at it long enough, but generally speaking, modeler+modeler=redundant mess.

I think with the kind of budget you have you'd be hard pressed to find a better value than the Alto TS212 speaker priced around $300.  I haven't used them, but several people here have and are quite happy with them.

Bear in mind that this is completely different style of arrangement than your typical guitar amp, but it's really the best way, in my opinion, to take advantage of the POD's capabilities.  I'd encourage you to read through a number of the threads on here regarding FRFR setups to get an idea of how to set this type of system up to get the most out of it.  I myself made this same type of transition (using a Yamaha DXR12) and can't imagine going back to a traditional setup now.  Once you get it setup right you'll be blown away by the clarity and articulation of your patches.

• Upvote 1

Once you get it setup right you'll be blown away by the clarity and articulation of your patches.

Absolutely...

To the OP, just be prepared to be a little confused at first. An FRFR set-up requires a different mindset, and there will probably be a few counterintuitive things that you'll need to wrap your head around initially. Some of the amp models are very bass-heavy, and you will likely find that you will need to roll off the low end significantly, in addition to using the low-cut filter in either the global EQ, or cab parameters....especially when playing at stage volume. Some of my patches have the bass set at or near zero, which is generally not something you'd ever do with a traditional guitar amp. FRFR is a different beast.

• Upvote 1

To expound just a bit on what cruisinon2 said, it all makes much more sense if you think of an FRFR setup as if it's a direct-in studio recording setup than a live performance setup. Sudio playback speakers are just like the modern crop of live speakers and are meant to provide full range coverage to be able to effectively play back all of the instruments and voices in an efficient and effective manner.  So what you have to do is confine that response to generally the same response characteristics you would get out of a guitar amp, which is a MUCH, MUCH simpler playback system.

What's counter-intuitive is that you spend good money on a speaker with a wide response range, only to limit it's wide response range.  Were the cabinet models included in the POD more accurate you probably wouldn't have to do that.  But unfortunately the cabinet models are the same models regardless of whether you take your output into an amp or into an FRFR speaker.  So it will be up to you to make up the difference.  Fortunately the POD provides a number of ways you can approach this, and many of the speakers have correcting logic that can help as well.

I myself heavily depend on the Global EQ of the POD to make the lion's share of my corrections which involves setting the low cut frequency to around 120hz and the high cut frequency to around 6.5 khz.  That doesn't address every possible situation, but for me and the tones I'm typically going for with the guitars I use, it works pretty well.  It does allow me to use the tone controls on my amp models in a fashion that's relatively consistent with what I'd use on a normal amp.  But I do pretty much include a studio EQ as the last effect in my chain on most patches to fine tweak some frequencies as well as a final overall gain if I need it to normalize the volume between different patches.

But bear in mind this works for ME, but your specific FRFR speaker, the type of music you play and the guitars you use can make a significant difference, so you may have to tweak and experiment with some of the various other settings or EQ effects to find what ultimately fits for you.  It may seem like a lot more work, and it is at least in getting things setup initially, but just because you're cutting out segments of frequency response, doesn't mean you're cutting out any of the efficiency and effectiveness in the response of the frequencies you are using...which is SIGNIFICANTLY better response than you'll find in any guitar amp.  Thus the clarity, articulation, and total control you can express over those frequencies in producing your sound is a generation beyond what you've been used to.  Well worth the effort in my book because the live sound I'm getting from my guitar on stage is exactly what I'd be looking for in a final mix in the studio.  Studio quality sound in a live environment..that's the target.

• Upvote 1

So long as you have the mustang on the latest firmware you should get some very usable sounds out of it by plugging the pod into the fx return on the mustang. With the latest firmware you can move the fx loop in the mustang to "post" this will bypass all of the modelling and tone stack of the mustang, meaning that it won't colour the sound much.

I ran a mustang that way for a year or so before eventually giving in to temptation and getting a FRFR setup

Hey Mcbedfall

I've just tested what you wrote with my mustang 3 v2. The looper mode sounds more coloured than using normal mode + studio pre amp, no cab.

I usually put some music to play to notice that. If it sounds too weird I imagine the "colour" or something is affecting the tone. That's what happened with the settings you described.

And the volume drop.

If you have a chance to test it, and confirm it, it would be nice

So, I will keep my settings as usual but maybe put this as 2nd way of settings, not my main though

Anyone has an opinion on this?

I can't test it I no longer have the mustang

Are you sure you have the mustang loop set to post?

When you play your guitar and turn the wheel on the mustang to cycle patches you should hear a short dropout in sound each time you change a patch but no difference in tone regardless of what amp is set on the mustang.

Is that the case?

• 4 years later...

Hi! I´ve just discovered that pressing TAP button while you Power On Mustang III v.2, all Mustang effects are bypassed, so you can get real POD HD500x Sound through your amp. The only active function is Master Volume. Hope this is useful for you!

19 hours ago, Demodex said:

effects are bypassed, so you can get real POD HD500x Sound through your amp.

well, no, not exactly. 

it may be bypassing certain tone changing features. but you are still playing through a Fender guitar amp, Fender guitar speaker, and a Fender guitar cab. 

It won't sound like a 2001 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo or Ampeg B-15NF Portaflex. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, pianoguyy said:

well, no, not exactly. 

it may be bypassing certain tone changing features. but you are still playing through a Fender guitar amp, Fender guitar speaker, and a Fender guitar cab. 

It won't sound like a 2001 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo or Ampeg B-15NF Portaflex. 

The Mustang speakers,power amp and  cabinets work wonderfully. I have been through three generations of Mustang. Just do not use redundant modeling..it's not rocket science.

Can't work too wonderfully if you've gone through 3 of them already. 

But, aside from that - I am not saying that it does not work. Nor am I saying that you can't design patches around your system to make it sound good.  

I am saying that if you were to put that same patch on an actual 'flat' system, you would hear the difference.