Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix rack and 4x12

Peckanina

I've used the power amp section of a traditional amp into a few different 2x12s and 4x12s with varying results. I just run Helix into the power amp return of the amp.  Ive done it with Fenders, a PRS Archon and with the EVH 5153.  They generally excel at what you'd expect them to - Fenders handled clean and low gain sounds nicely but sounded awful with tons of gain.  I think the physical speakers and the power amps handle similar sounds better, even if they are modeled.  

In all of the set ups I've tried so far, using full amp models, instead of pre-amp only, sounded better to me (I know it should be the other way).  In some cases adding in a cabinet block helped out too (despite it being coloration on top of the physical speaker)

Soon, I'll start playing around with Helix into engl's 810/20 power amp and into a few different 2x12s I'll try to post my thoughts on it later.  I use the Helix floorboard, but it would sound/respond exactly the same with the rack.

I've used the power amp section of a traditional amp into a few different 2x12s and 4x12s with varying results. I just run Helix into the power amp return of the amp.  Ive done it with Fenders, a PRS Archon and with the EVH 5153.  They generally excel at what you'd expect them to - Fenders handled clean and low gain sounds nicely but sounded awful with tons of gain.  I think the physical speakers and the power amps handle similar sounds better, even if they are modeled.  

In all of the set ups I've tried so far, using full amp models, instead of pre-amp only, sounded better to me (I know it should be the other way).  In some cases adding in a cabinet block helped out too (despite it being coloration on top of the physical speaker)

Soon, I'll start playing around with Helix into engl's 810/20 power amp and into a few different 2x12s I'll try to post my thoughts on it later.  I use the Helix floorboard, but it would sound/respond exactly the same with the rack.

I'm going to guess the engl 810 is a 20+20 watt?

Drooling over here. I think my engl is called a 920 and at 50+50 it will blast me out of my 10x20 music room when I click off my patch to a factory setting with louder volume.

Be nice to hear how your engl does. Other than being loud as heck, my engl sounds real nice on 4x12 cabs with helix floor model.

Would love to have a 20watt engl power amp.

Yeah im running the Helix Rack into a 300 watt Crown power amp, and into my 4x12 Orange cab. I have a few things im not impressed with but im still learning. Instead of looking at "amp modeling" as "using" a different amp or head i really just chalk it up to what sounds good. This things does SO much and i havent even STARTED toying with it.

Let me know how the Engl's work out for you.

Yeah im running the Helix Rack into a 300 watt Crown power amp, and into my 4x12 Orange cab. I have a few things im not impressed with but im still learning. Instead of looking at "amp modeling" as "using" a different amp or head I really just chalk it up to what sounds good. This things does SO much and i havent even STARTED toying with it.

Let me know how the Engl's work out for you.

What are you unimpressed with so far with that set up?

I know you can run the crown power amps into guitar cabs, but I've had better luck with guitar specific power amps so far when going into a guitar cab.  I think the "clean" or "transparent" style power amps lend themselves more to an FR/FR set up.  You might get more out of it running  it into a passive full range speaker.

Those Orange cabs are so good, and well made too.  That's my front runner for a 2x12 - Just gotta sell off the closet-sitting 4x12.

What are you unimpressed with so far with that set up?

I know you can run the crown power amps into guitar cabs, but I've had better luck with guitar specific power amps so far when going into a guitar cab.  I think the "clean" or "transparent" style power amps lend themselves more to an FR/FR set up.  You might get more out of it running  it into a passive full range speaker.

Those Orange cabs are so good, and well made too.  That's my front runner for a 2x12 - Just gotta sell off the closet-sitting 4x12.

Really just the volume level honestly.  I have an old Spider HD75 thats REAL loud surprisingly, and with 300 watts into the helix the volume level is low. Not sure if its how i have it set up, or my settings within my presets, but i feel i have to crank everything. Im still learning things with it everyday and every time i use it. Dont get me wrong i LOVE the set up. Its just the volume issue at this point. Im sure im missing something.

My setup is 300watt and it is super loud. I have the power amp volume all the way up and my helix volume never goes over 1/3 of the way up. This is with the whole band (metal music) drums and all.

May I ask what power amp your using? I don't have my power amp volume cranked all the way up. Like i said i am learning new things with it all the time so maybe that is something ill try. Currently i have mine running bridged and not stereo also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe check the Helix's Global output setting. Is it set to "mic" or "line" output? I think it should be set to "line".

Mine is set to Instrument at the moment if im not mistaken. When i get home ill have a look see. Gonna try a few suggestions from above as well.