Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

GK3 divided pickup on Standard

pattarom

Hi, anyone have tryied to install a Roland GK3 Pickup on Variax Standard?

I've just buy a Gr55 with GK3 pickup, but when I try to install the pickup I've discovered that it doesn't fit (there isn't enough space between strings and pickguard).

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Michele

• 2 weeks later...

I own 4 gtrs w GK3's. Had to disassemble tailpieces, dremel, file down and chrome paint to get one to fit, sit level and align w strings. Was un-nerving. Measure v carefully and extra care handling transducer. Accidentally bent one and lost tracking of one string. Hire a pro if you can afford it. Or be slow, devise a plan, and turn off cell phone. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

post-2333491-0-47755200-1459041259_thumb.jpg

Installed a GK3 pickup on mine. It will fit if you screw it directly to body (left side of GK3 using the clear spacer) and pickguard (right side) as is, meaning without the use of double sided tape or spacers.

• 7 months later...

I have one of the original Variax guitars (500) and I put a GK3 on it.  Use it with a Roland GR-33.  Just have to be careful about distance between strings and gk3 pup.  The Roland allows for some tweaking if the distance isn't just right; note SOME tweaking. I've been thinking about getting a Standard and adding a gk3; just haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on that decision.  The 500 doesn't have pickups so the installation was easier than I imagine would be with the Standard with pickups.  I might let the dealer tech do the gk3 install along with the setup on the Standard next time around.