Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why is there a "Master" in the preamp-block ?

tagmusenmagnus1

I cant get my head around why the preamp-blocks both have Gain, Ch.Vol and Master parameters. 

Does anyone know ? 

I would say the more options you have to control the gain at different stages, the better.

I know it can be tricky to really identify the difference it makes in some circumstances, but I like it that way.

But on a sidenote I'd love to see a meter level for the output to control the global gain difference between patches.

Well, technically the master volume control is in the preamp section of an amp... I know many guitarists tend to think of it as power amp volume, but it's really the final volume control on the preamp before hitting the power amp. It controls how hard the preamp is hitting the power amp. Yes, I can see how this control and the channel volume control might be seen as somewhat redundant, although I believe in the Helix, that there is some power amp sag built into the pre models. It doesn't necessarily reflect reality, but it makes them more usable with a real power amp. I remember Sean Halley mentioning this in a comment he made over on the The Gear Page, I believe.

So what's the signal flow? Is the Master before the Channel Volume or after? It would make sense to me if it is before the Channel Volume. Otherwise, what's doing what?

The best way to think of the channel volume parameter is simply as a level parameter for that particular block. Adjusting this doesn't change the tone of the block. It just raises or lowers the volume. It's not a modeled amp parameter. The master volume has some effect on the tone coming from the block. How much depends on the specific model.

The best way to think of the channel volume parameter is simply as a level parameter for that particular block. Adjusting this doesn't change the tone of the block. It just raises or lowers the volume. It's not a modeled amp parameter. The master volume has some effect on the tone coming from the block. How much depends on the specific model.

Ah. Just as I'd suspected.

I asked because of the way the OP had written it in his post. The word order made it look like the Master Volume determined the block's output.

Thanks for the clarification.

To avoid confusion, they should really call It Block Level or Output Level not Channel Volume. That would just make things a lot easier to understand. Nomenclature, Line 6, nomenclature!

I sort of agree, although, I think the reason they've left it "channel volume" is simply because that's the terminology they've used on all the PODs and on pretty much all the modeling amps as well. I guess there's always some tension for companies with wanting to make a new product feel familiar for their repeat customers but also making it understandable to the new.

I sort of agree, although, I think the reason they've left it "channel volume" is simply because that's the terminology they've used on all the PODs and on pretty much all the modeling amps as well. I guess there's always some tension for companies with wanting to make a new product feel familiar for their repeat customers but also making it understandable to the new.

Yes. Clarity versus Tradition. My vote will always be for clarity.

Yes. Clarity versus Tradition. My vote will always be for clarity.

I have to agree, "Block Vol" would have been much better. "Ch Vol" makes it seem like the overall volume for the preset or something, when actually it is only the overall volume for the amp block. Also, IMHO, the "Master" volume should have been on the first page of parameters so it could be adjusted in tandem with the "Drive" parameter, more like a real amp. "Ch Vol" adjustments could be made as needed after the blend of "Master" to "Drive" is dialed in. Overall volume for the preset would then be adjusted from the "Output" block which just makes more sense to me.

Lastly, in the next version of the Helix I would consider a dedicated knob for the "Output" block volume as this is perhaps the adjustment you most need to get to quickly in live playing situations and it would be handy while programming presets as well. I guess it could be argued however that the expression pedal is a better way to quickly adjust volume, especially during a gig.

I have an Idea in Ideascale for moving the "Master" volume to the first page of the amp parameters.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Put-Master-volume-on-the-same-page-as-the-Drive-in-amp-model/788502-23508

• Upvote 1