Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hollow phased sound when engaging FX loop..

SongofSouth

Hi, I have my Eventide H9 connected to send/return 1 on Helix. If I choose to use "FXloop 1" I get this subtle phasey sound. When bypass Helix FXloop the sound gets solid and thick again. This hollow sound is present even if I bypass my  external effect so It has something to do with Helix. This is prominent when I put the effect on a separate path "beside the orignal tone", as the Line6 folk decribe to do when using delays..

On the other hand, If I choose to use  one SEND and one RETURN separatly, this phenomena do not occure.

Why cant I just use the FXloop and save one step in the block? What is the difference between these two options, FXloop and the SEND/RETURN?

Please help Best regards, Micke/Sweden.

Eeeh ok, And what shall I do to get rid of it?

Micke.

You either need to either have the mix parameter on the Helix's FX loop set to 100% or you need to have "kill dry" setting turned on in the H9. It depends on what you're trying to do with the H9 as to which way you want to do it. If you want it to be a serial effect, just set the mix to 100%. If you want to set up a parallel effect, you'd go with the dry kill option.

Hi , Thanks for answering!

Well I have tried both things, Kill Dry and when setting Helix MIX to 100% there is to much of H9 and the original guitartone is a little bit lost. When setting to, round 50% Mix it is more like it but the hollow/flanger sound is there until I just disengage/bypass the FXloop.

But why is this not a problem when using separate Send/Return? What is the difference?

Sorry..Micke.

Well, the send block has the dry thru parameter, which is kind of like the mix parameter on the FX loop, but it's default is 0.0dB, meaning that you're always getting a 100% dry signal through the send block. I believe the equivalent setting on the FX loop is the mix at 50%.