Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression pedal doesn't switch to WAH

Blackstar1

I'm concerned because I can't get the expression pedal to switch to WAH. Is there supposed to be a tactile confirmation besides the indicator lights going from VOL illuminated to WAH ? What could be preventing it from toggling between VOL and WAH ? Someone suggested pressing firmly on the toe end of the pedal but it just makes contact but VOL remains lit. Does it require more than firm hand pressure to switch it from VOL to WAH ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah you need to use your foot and put some serious pressure on it, it will ease up over time though

True. You practically have to stand on it!

Out of the box mine was ridiculously difficult to operate so I carefully filed down the rubber bump stops by a couple of millimetres. The switching works perfect now with just the right amount of effort.

Great idea! I'm getting a file outta my toolbox right now!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Out of the box mine was ridiculously difficult to operate so I carefully filed down the rubber bump stops by a couple of millimetres. The switching works perfect now with just the right amount of effort.

I'm the same. Mine requires a hell of a force to work the switch. Had to put nearly all my weight on it standing up and I'm 82.5kg .

I started to file the rubber stops down but I decided to turn the problem upside down.

Instead of filing the rubber stops down I built the switch up. Same effect in the end.

I made a little flat disc of plastic from an old membership card.

There's a cut-out in the case where the switch shows through.

I dropped the disc in that hole and put some reinforced tape on there to hold it in place. A dab of contact glue would work as well.

If the switch ever eases and requires less force on it then the disc can easily be removed or replaced with a thinner one.

Conversely if one layer of plastic/credit card doesn't ease it enough then try two layers.

• 1 month later...

Ive had this very same issue since day 1 of having my FHFX. Never been able to switch on the Wah when pressing down. Pretty crazy they dont test this out to make sure it works or adjust the sensitivity before sending them out of the factory.

I just made this little video to show the mod.
I might as well share it. Others will be having the same trouble.

I called it a membrane switch but this membrane is to a normal membrane switch as Rhino hide is to skin... :P

Hope that helps

Koz

P.S.
Dome switch is probably a more accurate description. Going by the mechanical resistance of the thing.
Haven't peeked inside yet ... ( If it ain't broke, don't fix it" innit )
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yup I just completed this mod today and it helps a LOT to be able to switch the Wah ON/OFF. It also helps if you had issues trying to calibrate your volume pedal and couldnt get past step 2 in the process because you couldnt activate/press/turn on the toe switch that is required.  Takes 10 mins most. Hardest part is cutting the little piece of plastic to the correct size. I was lucky and got it right the first time. Used an old Amazon plastic gift card and cut it into a square the right width and then snipped at 45 degree angles on each corner to make an approximate octagon. A perfect circle would have been pretty hard to do. covered it with tape and it works great. Much easier to activate the switch now.

You can also back the nut off that controls the foot pedal tension. From the factory, mine was WAY too tight and the pedal made a god-awful squeaking noise because of it. I have it set now that it is almost completely loose, just enough tension so it stays in the position my foot left it.

• 9 months later...

So I was setting up my Kemper set up for tonight's gig. I work in performance mode and was setting up wahs and pitch control functions for certain songs. I figured that since I was using performance mode, I when I stores each rig, it would also store weather the expression pedal was in wah function or pitch function. But it appears that is a global system function and I have to choose between wah, pitch, etc Does that mean I have to get another another expression pedal or is there a work around to use it for both

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, gerdani said:

So I was setting up my Kemper set up for tonight's gig. I work in performance mode and was setting up wahs and pitch control functions for certain songs. I figured that since I was using performance mode, I when I stores each rig, it would also store weather the expression pedal was in wah function or pitch function. But it appears that is a global system function and I have to choose between wah, pitch, etc Does that mean I have to get another another expression pedal or is there a work around to use it for both

Okay you lost me at "Kemper." 

We're talking about the Firehawk FX right?  You use that sucker with a Kemper?!

Because with the Firehawk all you do to switch is step on the toe switch. That's it. No extra special settings required, and it toggles back and forth.

I can't in my right mind though imagining using one with a Kemper. What can it do that the Kemper can't?