Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spdif versus 1/4" volume

kreator1972

• 2 months later...

?!?

The S/PDIF output of my Helix is about 12 dB lower than the 1/4" outputs, and I'd like to raise the volume. Is this possible?

The S/PDIF output of the Helix seems to be much lower than HD500 or X3Live S/PDIF outputs.

?!?

The S/PDIF output of my Helix is about 12 dB lower than the 1/4" outputs, and I'd like to raise the volume. Is this possible?

The S/PDIF output of the Helix seems to be much lower than HD500 or X3Live S/PDIF outputs.

Yeah mine too much lower than the 1/4"

But i cant use my 1/4" as it creates a ground loop that is so annoying..

Thinking of getting a balanced cable or the Art cleanbox to get rid of the hum and crackle that comes out when i hook the Helix up using the 1/4"

I have also noticed the spdif being lower in volume, or is it?

The reason I question this is everything I plug a 1/4 analog signal into has some sort of gain, level, opamp, etc. The spdif is a digital signal fed directly to the system bypassing that gain stage. A -18 to -12 db signal seems reasonable, as it gives the Helix tons of internal overhead before clipping. They advertise a -123db noise floor, still over 100 db of SNR.

(I realize some amp, effect models may affect that.)

I am just thinking out loud and taking an uneducated guess. ?

Maybe a line 6 expert can chime in and explain a valid reason.

Is it too loud.. is it too quiet?

Fido083 is on track.

SPDIF is not loud or quiet.  It is simply a digital signal.  The 1/4 in jacks and XLR and SEND outs produce a real signal that has "volume" or amplitude of the waveform.  You can set the level of these to mic level, line level or instrument level (depending which you are using.)

It is up to you to set up the device that you are plugging plug these into to adjust the level of your XLRs or Jacks, (select wether it's mic or line - turn up the gain knob on the device etc) to match the SPDIF level produced in that device if you need to have them match for some reason.

If the device you are using has no input gain controls (which I find hard to believe) - you could even split the output path in the Helix and adjust the "level" control on either the XLR, or jacks.

Does that help?