Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suggestions to all of my HD500x Brethren

shredjsx

I got irritated too with my HD500x

But I trust in Line 6 so I did this

One thing I love over my old X3 is having multiple banks bank sets...

It sounds like you are a tone head like me

So I'm gonna make a suggestion...

Do what I finally did...

Take one full bank set and just set each one up with all of the amps, no effects...

Then play with the amp, cabs and mic settings...

Get basic good tones then add in effects...

I did set up a basic effects line to work with including a volume pedal, a noise gate in front of the amp, a graphic eq set to flat to boost signal on lower volume amps, and a noise gate after...

And just play with the amps....

Then transfer tones/amps to your other set list banks to add and tweek effects...

It really opens up so much, gives you an idea on what wonderful things this unit can do without coloring your tone with effect first....

Gets you to understand your amps better...

Get the upgrade package amps too...

I found that I ended up using Amps that I normally wouldn't even consider...

I KNOW it was because we tend to default to the amps we know...

I found myself using the Engl, and Bogner patches over the Soldono and JCM 800 and 2204 I would normally use...

Also I used to HATE distortion pedals, I want sounds out of my amp...

After I set up basic amp patches, I tried the effects into each one and found that the Roland Jazz amp and the Bassman sound great with different distortion and drive pedals in front...

I would also suggest getting a Line 6 L3t or L2t.... And the smart cable to attach the unit....

The options I have now, and versatility is incredible....

Don't give up, it's there...

Every time I go into guitar enter and like an amp I'm playing through, I come home and get that tone out of my HD500x...

The global EQ is also a life saver if you have a tone you love but have to play at lower volumes...

Or do a quick cut or boost of a frequency without wanting to mess up your patches...

I might eventually post all of my basic amps on the custom tone...

It was a lot of work

But well worth it

Would you guys like me to post my basic amp setups?

• Upvote 1

I guess this might be convenient as far as quickly grabbing a basic amp setup.  But I know for myself no matter what the amp I tend to have to play a bit with EQ and basic amp settings to get what I want depending on the guitar I intend to use with the patch.  Personally I don't add any effects to a new patch I'm creating until I'm satisfied with the basic sound.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure if this would really be much of a time saver for me.  Especially since there's probably a number of amp models I doubt I'd ever use.

I guess this might be convenient as far as quickly grabbing a basic amp setup.  But I know for myself no matter what the amp I tend to have to play a bit with EQ and basic amp settings to get what I want depending on the guitar I intend to use with the patch.  Personally I don't add any effects to a new patch I'm creating until I'm satisfied with the basic sound.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure if this would really be much of a time saver for me.  Especially since there's probably a number of amp models I doubt I'd ever use.

True for me at first, but I found that I now use amps I never would have even considered before....

I'll get it setup and load my basic patches over the next couple of days and let you guys know as soon as I do

I got irritated too with my HD500x

But I trust in Line 6 so I did this

One thing I love over my old X3 is having multiple banks bank sets...

It sounds like you are a tone head like me

So I'm gonna make a suggestion...

Do what I finally did...

Take one full bank set and just set each one up with all of the amps, no effects...

Then play with the amp, cabs and mic settings...

Get basic good tones then add in effects...

I did set up a basic effects line to work with including a volume pedal, a noise gate in front of the amp, a graphic eq set to flat to boost signal on lower volume amps, and a noise gate after...

And just play with the amps....

Then transfer tones/amps to your other set list banks to add and tweek effects...

It really opens up so much, gives you an idea on what wonderful things this unit can do without coloring your tone with effect first....

Gets you to understand your amps better...

Get the upgrade package amps too...

I found that I ended up using Amps that I normally wouldn't even consider...

I KNOW it was because we tend to default to the amps we know...

I found myself using the Engl, and Bogner patches over the Soldono and JCM 800 and 2204 I would normally use...

Also I used to HATE distortion pedals, I want sounds out of my amp...

After I set up basic amp patches, I tried the effects into each one and found that the Roland Jazz amp and the Bassman sound great with different distortion and drive pedals in front...

I would also suggest getting a Line 6 L3t or L2t.... And the smart cable to attach the unit....

The options I have now, and versatility is incredible....

Don't give up, it's there...

Every time I go into guitar enter and like an amp I'm playing through, I come home and get that tone out of my HD500x...

The global EQ is also a life saver if you have a tone you love but have to play at lower volumes...

Or do a quick cut or boost of a frequency without wanting to mess up your patches...

I might eventually post all of my basic amps on the custom tone...

It was a lot of work

But well worth it

Would you guys like me to post my basic amp setups?

Thank you for your suggestion! I will definitely try what you've suggested. And, by the way, please post your basic amp setups...that'll be great!