Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD600x for $750 -- what would it have?

Indianrock2020

Now we're guessing at what features a nonexistent product might have? I'd love to take a stab at it, but it's time for me to run full speed into a brick wall. And after lunch I'm attending a symposium on paint colors for the bathroom in the first geodesic dome they're gonna build on Mars.

But I'll check in later...;)

• Upvote 3

I guess a better question would be which Line6 competitors are offering something in between 500x and Helix ( both in quality and price ) ?

I mean, isn't this like Ford said we sold a buzillion Mustangs last year for $25k each, so this year we're selling the last year's Mustang with no changes ( same price ) and offering a  MustangPlus for $75k and hope to turn a profit.

I guess a better question would be which Line6 competitors are offering something in between 500x and Helix ( both in quality and price ) ?

therein lies the problem. Between the price point of HD 500 and Helix is, I think, exactly one product, Amplifire, and it's kinda different isn't it.

I would guess Helix was to compete with the Axe FX market.     So the HD500x is still the "new" Line 6 2014 model.  In Line6's defense, there are the model packs.  And the majority of HD500,   500x users probably haven't scratched the surface of what can be done with in-depth tweaking.

Well, I disagree that no one would buy it. Hell, I bet some of the tech chasers would sell their Helix to buy a HD600. ~~~ always gotta have the newest toy. 

So, just to play the game instead of dealing in reality.... 

The HD600 would have a 2nd exp pedal. A headphone volume that is independent of the master volume. And ANDROID SUPPORT. 

• Like 1

This sounds like fun! I have a small list...

To be built in a manner that we can easily take it apart and clean or replace essential parts when we need to

No wall wart

Tablet integration

adjustable volume for ALL outputs

high cut in the DEPs

3rd party IR loading

separate cab block

completely writeable footswitches

Hz, not %

Default perams stay the same when changing models

So pretty much everything we've been talking about for the longest time now and have been voting up on ideascale :p

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Here's my take.  I'm not paying anymore than $500 for anything - electronics get cheaper.  Line6 can re-vamp the 500x into the 600x for the same price point.  Then include a little better processor, user installable IRs, and more and better sounding amps/cabs.  Oh and maybe create some decent presets before shipping it out.

• Upvote 2

Here's my take. I'm not paying anymore than $500 for anything - electronics get cheaper. Line6 can re-vamp the 500x into the 600x for the same price point. Then include a little better processor, user installable IRs, and more and better sounding amps/cabs. Oh and maybe create some decent presets before shipping it out.

They could, but I'm not holding my breath. If they make it too much like Helix, they'll start to lose some of those customers who would have (however begrudgingly) upgraded to the pricier unit. They model seems to be to target very narrow demographics. There's Firehawk and Amplifi for the insta-tone/Bluetooth/app-driven crowd, HD series for the budget-minded tweakers, and Helix for the well-heeled tone chasers. Don't know of there's room in there for another product.

Here's my take.  I'm not paying anymore than $500 for anything - electronics get cheaper.  Line6 can re-vamp the 500x into the 600x for the same price point.  Then include a little better processor, user installable IRs, and more and better sounding amps/cabs.  Oh and maybe create some decent presets before shipping it out.

I totally understand (and used to agree with) this statement.

Fact is, if I had to get by with my HD 500, I could. And I'd still sound great.

Frankly, I'm not sure how high up on the priority list making a replacement for the 500X really SHOULD be with Line 6.

That said... a 750-dollar version that had HX amp modeling, but the same HD FX and routing...? that would NOT be horrible.

• Upvote 1

The things that limit how good we sound live in a band go way beyond amp models, although I would love to see some of the additions mentioned above at under $1000.    When I think of the church where I play live, the phone/tablet control of pod parameters would really be valuable because 1) hauling a laptop is a pain, 2) tweaking with the POD controls is a pain and 3) you need to tweak while the rest of the band is playing ( not in a bedroom ).

You could put a tablet on a chair or music stand and get yourself in the mix much more easily than getting down on the floor with the POD or trying to use a connected Laptop.  Even with a laptop we use the USB cable so I'm not sure how the Tablet is going to connect since the POD has no bluetooth.  Wifi adapter that plugs into the POD USB port?

Some of what you guys are saying are... 

well... 

they just wouldn't be included in a "bigger" version. They would need to be included on a "newer" version. Like a 505. 

There is a difference between making a new one like a 505 and a bigger one like a 600. 

SD card port for file/set list transfer etc....

OOO.... 

I like that (and usb stick) just as much as I do an Android EDIT.

In fact, the biggest reason that I want an Android EDIT isn't to create/edit patches, it is to be able to install/move patches/setlists/bundles. Which, currently can only be done with EDIT. But if they found a way to install/move patches without EDIT, then I wouldn't need the Android EDIT. 

+1 !!!  definetly

And i would add rebalance parameter scope, i mean with some amp model treble is fizzy from 40 to 100 so.... rebalance to a usable scope

And for defaut settings, a pretty even level for amp....

This sounds like fun! I have a small list...

To be built in a manner that we can easily take it apart and clean or replace essential parts when we need to
No wall wart
Tablet integration
adjustable volume for ALL outputs
high cut in the DEPs
3rd party IR loading
separate cab block
completely writeable footswitches
Hz, not %
Default perams stay the same when changing models

So pretty much everything we've been talking about for the longest time now and have been voting up on ideascale :P

Preset spillover would require briefly having two patches loaded at the same time. The unit would need a LOT of DSP set aside just for spillover. I know this thread is all in good fun, but I don't think the price point is right.

Now a neural connection on the other hand...

:D

LOL

I really wished I knew what half of all this crap was that you guys are talking about.

All this tech jargon, just shut up and play.

But what would we have to worry/whine about then? What if next year's model of the dishwasher I just bought has more buttons, and less latency between the wash and dry cycles. Where will I be then? And how will Whirlpool compensate me? Don't they listen to their customers? !?!?!?!?! ;)

and why doesn't this thing have a 20 year life span with repair parts stocked for 30 years with projected OS compatibility for the next 10 generations? They have abandoned us.... woe is me............. :P

lollipop. :)

and why doesn't this thing have a 20 year life span with repair parts stocked for 30 years with projected OS compatibility for the next 10 generations? They have abandoned us.... woe is me............. :P

It is a peculiar time we're living in. A tech-obsessed culture that wants bigger/better/newer/faster everything, all delivered last Tuesday (free of charge), with guaranteed free updates and support until 3 years after the world ends, and a personal guarantee that the product will satiate every current and future desire. And then when something (inevitably) fails to deliver any or all of this, it's taken as a personal assault. They did this to ME!!!!!

If even 10% of the populace spent half as much time doing instead of whining, we'd already have the Starship Enterprise...

Ok, wait a minute... 

I have long spoken in favor of driver/os support. Not just for the Pod, but for many products. 

I have also addressed at it the Microsoft level, wanting them to keep compatibilty in new OS versions as well. 

I hate the fact that I had to buy a new computer; not because it was broken, but because one day I could no longer use it to do the same things I did the day before. Places like Yahoo and YouTube simply quit allowing my computer to function. It's not like I wanted to wirelessly stream 4k video to my tv (something I couldn't do when the machine was bought), I just wanted to check my damn email.

And then, because I got a new machine, I had to re-buy all of my software. And even some of my external hardware was no good. 

All of the different browsers available, including dot matrix mobile browsers, that they program their sites to work with, but they won't let an old outdated Internet Explorer work on their site?

Hey, there is a reason why people are buying 56 Chevy's and 69 Les Paul's. THEY STILL WORK. 

What good is a HD500 going to be in 20 years! It may still work, but what are you going to hook it up to. 

Because she gets tired after dancing on the pole all day. 

Well, ok, true. You got me on that one. 

I rarely do dishes because I am always eating out, or have someone do them for me. Which is usually the same person that cooks. Which is usually a stripper. Or some other struggling actress/golddigger.