Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help! Muddy distortion tones with any setting, custom or factory.

ScottTyler1982

I have had the helix since December. After all of the updates and everything I'm very pleased with the functionality of the unit and reliability. It is an amazing product in my opinion. One of my problems that I cannot remedy is all of the distortion patches, no matter if it's my own that I made or a factory setting, sounds muddy on a neck pickup. It doesn't matter if I'm using a humbucker or a single coil and it's like this with multiple guitars. My tube amps don't sound like this with my guitars so those aren't the issue. With the Helix everything sounds great on the bridge but it seems whenever I introduce a pickup with bass tones to any of the Distortion settings it flattens out in a way and, although it sounds like it has gain, it has no grit or edge to it. I do not have this issue on clean settings, only when there is distortion whether it be a pedal model or amp model with the gain cranked up a bit. My thought is the units circuitry is having problems differentiating between low/low mids when breaking up and it ends up coming out as just smooth low frequency with no break up.

Is anyone having similar problems or does anyone have a remedy?

I haven't had that particular issue myself, but a couple (hopefully helpful) tips ...

For most of my gain settings I place an overdrive (usually ts808 or minotaur models) pedal infront of my amp, but I turn the gain to 0 and the level higher, to 9 or 10. It tightens up the bottom end and gives a more crisp feel. It also lets you get away with less gain on the amp's drive parameter with similar sustain and compression.  I believe the impedance for both those models is 1m ohm but I leave my global impedance at 1m anyway.  

Another option for dealing with bottom end is to raise the 'low cut' on the cabinet block to > 80

What is your setup, are you using headphones or FRFR speakers for monitoring? If yes, it could be the headphones/speakers. I had a huge problem but exactly the opposite - no way I could get warm/muddy tones, everything was so bright when using the speakers in our rehearsal room. Then I found out it was caused by the "FRFR" speakers which have very weak lower mids, huge dip around 1.5kHz and over emphasized 5-10kHz range. On another set of speakers it was a completely different story. I was surprised myself how non-flat these "flat-response" speakers are...

+1 on both suggestions above. Especially if you are using headsets. Headsets can be real flaky. It seems like high end cans are the only way to go. My Sony MDR series actually does not do well with the Helix and they are an expensive, fairly flat set of headphones designed for studio use. Thy sound flabby with the Helix bass and distort easily. It's weird because they sound great for mixing on a board. My Fischer Audio headsets, which I bought as a backup to Sony set for mixing (They are Super flat studio cans that sound great but are not as comfortable..I got them at a stores going out of business sale) sound freaking amazing with the Helix and identical to what ever I do live. Also my KRK monitors need isolation stands to sound good (not a Helix issue). It is sort of odd that only neck pickups sound muddy though. I could understand if it was all humbuckers but the fact that singles do as well is very odd.

Thanks for the input peeps. I'm using the correct impedance settings for passive pickups and I'm running the unit direct stereo out via XLR outputs direct to a mixing console. This problem is present with any PA I've performed on (Mackie, QSC, JBL, Toa, EAW, EV) as well as any console (Allen and Heath, Midas, Behringer, Presonus, Soundcraft). For live use I have in ear monitors. My JH Audio Roxanne IEM's and my JH 16 Pro IEM's all exemplify this same issue. If I record direct to my Mac via USB, or any other method, the same characteristics are present.

I have not. I guess what I'm confused about is that nobody else is having this issue. I'm wondering if it is my helix unit that is the problem. If it sounds like this on the factory presets as well, that would make sense and it would be this unit that is to blame.

Have you tried putting an EQ block in front of the amp block and cutting the low end with that? Try some severe settings just to see what happens.

I have not. I guess what I'm confused about is that nobody else is having this issue. I'm wondering if it is my helix unit that is the problem. If it sounds like this on the factory presets as well, that would make sense and it would be this unit that is to blame.

Have you tried the factory presets and can you post a clip?  Have you considered a factory reset?

I think mine is similar, easy to dial in the bridge and then front single coil doesn't sound quite right and needs more low cut. My guitars have Seymour Duncan JB and Custom in bridge and alnico single coils in the middle and neck. Dialling down the low cut doesn't seriously damage the preset for the humbucker. With an Rcf or Ev 12" monitor can cut up to 180Hz mostly on the IR block, on top of -60Hz Global low cut. Not used to this kind of bottom end with my traditional rig, think I'm getting there, but even so the discrepancy between bridge and neck doesn't feel quiet right.

I should add I'm only using Ownhammer IRs which also seemed to help, a bit more ring and even response to my ear. Helix stock cabs generally feel more smile curve eq to me, i do favour their ribbon mics for the fatness....which seems exacerbate the issue! For Ownhammer Akg 414 are my favourite

I think mine is similar, easy to dial in the bridge and then front single coil doesn't sound quite right and needs more low cut. My guitars have Seymour Duncan JB and Custom in bridge and alnico single coils in the middle and neck. Dialling down the low cut doesn't seriously damage the preset for the humbucker. With an Rcf or Ev 12" monitor can cut up to 180Hz mostly on the IR block, on top of -60Hz Global low cut. Not used to this kind of bottom end with my traditional rig, think I'm getting there, but even so the discrepancy between bridge and neck doesn't feel quiet right.

I've found this to be common in all the modelers I've owned. Some are worse than others and to me Line 6's products have a preponderance of low end compared to the others and excascerbates the problem. I typically create a patch specifically for the neck pickup in every modeler I use. I've also rewired the neck pickup on my main guitar so that the coils are in parallel not series. It's a bit too much on most modelers but not on the Helix.

exact same prob here... any preset with distortion or overdrive sounds super compressed on any low string chugs... almost like total overcompression/breakup. Its not the guitar(s), nor the impedance. I am going out into Cubase via AES. I also cannot seem to get levels hot enough coming out of the Helix. Help! There is def something going on with this... it is not just a touch of squishedness... it is like someone inserted a compressor pedal and set it full. I just bought it a few hours ago and have not touched any global settings, etc... only set the unit to send via AES. Thanks! I gotta be doing something weird... maybe the outs? thanks!!!

oh, and the aes out of unit goes into RME card in computer.

• Upvote 1

He said in the OP that it happens with multiple guitars. So that would more than likely rule that out.

Serves me right for glossing over the fine print  :(

There are only so many things that can go wrong.  If it's a global issue (now having read the fine print), I have to imagine it is one of the global settings.  Factory Resets aren't going to help if the default preset is f'd.  I seem to remember that I did have to do some global tweaking when I've done a factory reset.