Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Let's put the real name to the presets

MusicGeek

• 8 months later...
On 1/25/2018 at 3:37 PM, ghosttrooper said:

sad but true

I think there is great value in presets of songs. I have discovered great players that I did not know existed. I have learned songs that I had not heard before. I have learned new tunings with my Variax. When I tried a patch that I didn't care for, when I play it with the song, I am usually impressed. That gives me a point of reference and helps me spontaniously to choose presets when I am performing songs. The presets that I latched onto first on the Helix are 25? No, 6 to 4 (Chicago Terry Kath) and Kashmir (Led Zepplin Jimmy Page). Both patches sound pretty faithful to me.

If you are an expert at creating patches, or have found some you really love, why not share some with us?  I am open to trying presets that are not related to songs and to give credit where credit is due.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:58 AM, musical1212 said:

If you are an expert at creating patches, or have found some you really love, why not share some with us?

Hi,

There is always "Customtone" - available from the menu at the top of this page - that's where the sharing happens. Although, be aware - not all to the creators of the patches would claim to be experts.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

P.S. You were replying to a post from from January 2018 and the guy who posted it has not left another comment since November 2019 - "Sad but true" 

• 4 months later...

It's a bit weird, I don't know if this is normal but some of the listed presets are missing in my current Helix settings, whereas I made a factory reset after the last update (firmware v3.5). For instance, I'm missing the "Dream pop lead" and the "Jazz 2 me". Perhaps some of them have been replaced in the last version, anybody knows ?

On 1/15/2023 at 6:41 PM, OoBatouoO said:

It's a bit weird, I don't know if this is normal but some of the listed presets are missing in my current Helix settings, whereas I made a factory reset after the last update (firmware v3.5). For instance, I'm missing the "Dream pop lead" and the "Jazz 2 me". Perhaps some of them have been replaced in the last version, anybody knows ?

Hi,

If you followed the instructions about updating your firmware to v3.50, then you would have made a back up of the presets that were already in your Helix. 

Do a restore from backup to load the missing "Dream pop lead" and the "Jazz 2 me", then save them (and any others you may require) as individual presets. You can the load them to whatever slot you wish. Simply a process of file management and file juggling.

Always work on a copy.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 2 months later...

Hi all - cross-posting from this post (link below) so we can start to work on a (new) source of truth for the 3.5 factory presets. Rest assured, I won't be spamming the forums with this, it just hit me today that I should've thrown this link in here.

I put together an excel with descriptions of the Factory Presets in 3.5. Leveraged as much of the old file as I could from this particular thread. Link below.

Would be great if folks could go in and add their notes on the presets they're familiar with. As you can see, we've gotten some great feedback already from folks on the Helix discord.

I'd love if this could be turned into a comprehensive list that could be sent to the folks at Helix Help so they can throw it up on their site and we can all reference at any time. Not looking for fame or glory, I just want names to the presets!

Click here - OneDrive Link - Helix Factory Presets Excel

On 4/7/2023 at 4:39 PM, dolfan058 said:

so we can start to work on a (new) source of truth for the 3.5 factory presets.

Uh?

"a new source of truth" 

Kinell - I really cannot comprehend this obsession with preset name trivia. Why? What's the point?

They are a bunch of presets with whacky names - lots of which are totally meaningless. Time is better spent making your own, and playing guitar. Strip 'em out and use the slots for something worthwhile that you might actually use.

As mentioned by Digital Igloo,  many, many times in these threads - "All Presets Suck!" and he is the Chief Product Design Architect at Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. / Line 6 / Ampeg, so I guess he ought to know!

On 4/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, datacommando said:

Uh?

"a new source of truth" 

Kinell - I really cannot comprehend this obsession with preset name trivia. Why? What's the point?

They are a bunch of presets with whacky names - lots of which are totally meaningless. Time is better spent making your own, and playing guitar. Strip 'em out and use the slots for something worthwhile that you might actually use.

As mentioned by Digital Igloo,  many, many times in these threads - "All Presets Suck!" and he is the Chief Product Design Architect at Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. / Line 6 / Ampeg, so I guess he ought to know!

To each their own. You may think the presets suck, others may not. I find some of the presets interesting, and getting the "behind the scenes" on them is helpful in finding new music, or getting closer to the tones of some of my heroes that I didn't connect the dots on. 

Sorry you may feel this is a pointless exercise, but I would appreciate if we could try to keep this constructive instead of actively working to shoot the effort dead. 

Separately, I found DI's response to "why presets suck" and it's an interesting read.

I'm reading it as DI saying "all presets suck" because that's the group think because they aren't dialed into that specific rig, so the Line 6 crew has embraced that in order to push folks to venture into creating their own presets.

Of note is he says that the team will continue to try and make cool presets, and that's where I think the background behind the preset is helpful.

Instead of creating a guy's tone from scratch, if we know that the preset has been built, we can leverage it as a blueprint, which we can all benefit from.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/interesting-review-of-the-helix.1703652/post-21926615

On 4/7/2023 at 8:57 PM, dolfan058 said:

Sorry you may feel this is a pointless exercise, but I would appreciate if we could try to keep this constructive instead of actively working to shoot the effort dead.

Hmm… In case you forgot, I’m the guy who pointed you towards this thread in the first place.

“To each their own”, you say, well have fun in your search for the ultimate source of truth - now there’s a thing that has really been done to death. 

Om.

On 4/7/2023 at 6:08 PM, datacommando said:

Hmm… In case you forgot, I’m the guy who pointed you towards this thread in the first place.

“To each their own”, you say, well have fun in your search for the ultimate source of truth - now there’s a thing that has really been done to death. 

Om.

Thanks, I will. I can see it bothers you tremendously so I’ll be sure to continue this exercise with great vigor

• Upvote 1