Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New picking technique I'm trying

Learning Black Water Side by Lef Zeppelin...

Minfinger picking isn't that great and doesn't sound very articulate..

Trying a combo of using a pick, then my ring finger, sounds a lot better..

Though more difficult...

Anyone do this?

Knopfler is well known for only using thumb and first two fingers. It does help if you have nails of course!

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/how-to-play-guitar-like-mark-knopfler-619055

I use pick sometimes, and fingers sometimes and will swap between them in the same song as needed - the pick goes in my mouth which is not necessarily very hygienic, but at least I can get it again quickly when needed.

Another option to try as used by GangsterUSA (Glenn Dulaune) is a thumb pick and fingers

In country music (well older country music and modern chicken pickers) hybird picking using the middle and ring finger is quite common. I also got to see ZZ Top play last year up close to the stage. I would say Billy played more with his fingers than the pick. He would grab the pic and then drop it or throw it out to the audience quite a lot.

Knopfler is well known for only using thumb and first two fingers. It does help if you have nails of course!

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/how-to-play-guitar-like-mark-knopfler-619055

Sorry. I never meant to imply that Mark Knopler used a pick, but it happens to be the most comfortable way for me to approach it.

I've been doing that for years. Even when playing an acoustic guitar. Thumb and index hold the pick and act as thumb. Middle ring and pinky for the picking fingers. The pinky was the hardest part for me. You not only have to practice alot to get it nice and strong, you have to keep up with it or you will lose your pinky strength fairly quickly. Especially at my age. But it works for me. Definitely a personal preference.

You're one finger ahead of me.  I am very much an all-fingers player in terms of my left hand (which seems to be a rarity nowadays), but the pinky on my right hand is currently underutilized :-).