Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ordered Helix - should I sell my Pod HD Desktop and controller?

spiderbaby

Hi all,

I'll hopefully be getting my Helix delivered by the end of the month and am thinking about whether to sell my Pod HD Desktop (bean) and my FBV Foot Controller. I tend to be a technohoarder so a part of me is thinking about holding on to them since they still work perfectly. I can probably get $400 currently for the pair so the question is whether or not keeping them is worth more than that.

Edit: I also purchased the Line 6 HD Fully Loaded Bundle so the Pod has some pretty nice amps.

Does Helix completely replace that combination?

Also, can it be used to update the firmware for a Spider Valve MkII?

Not crazy about using a really new product with no backup, but I haven't needed my HD 500 since Helix arrived, so my HD 500 might be on the block, too (I can use Mainstage as a backup if things really go badly I guess).

Does the Spider Valve MkII only update firmware over MIDI? If so, it might work just fine, since it's a class compliant MIDI interface.

Hi all,

I'll hopefully be getting my Helix delivered by the end of the month and am thinking about whether to sell my Pod HD Desktop (bean) and my FBV Foot Controller. I tend to be a technohoarder so a part of me is thinking about holding on to them since they still work perfectly. I can probably get $400 currently for the pair so the question is whether or not keeping them is worth more than that.

Edit: I also purchased the Line 6 HD Fully Loaded Bundle so the Pod has some pretty nice amps.

I guess one of us needs to be the voice of dissent.

The Helix, as powerful as it is, does have some processing issues.  A stereo cali cab will eat up virtually ALL available DSP on the second channel.  I've kept my HD and am going through the process of creating two similar set lists.  The first is all 'onboard' except for looping (48 seconds doesn't do it for me).  The second one allows me more flexibility as I use some of the HD and an old digitech for the atmosphere FX (reverb, delay, etc.) as well as EQ where needed.  That one is the MIDI set list.  It's a work in progress, but I'm really looking forward to exploring what it can do when finished.

Thanks for the advice, all. It seems like the Spider should update over MIDI but since I've never tried that before, I'll wait to test that first before making any hasty moves. The bean has served me well but if I am ever going to sell it, now would be the best time.

Pi, voices of dissent are always welcome! I have never sold any of my analog and digital standalone pedals (a very modest collection) because they do what they do and have no processing limitations. And no one is getting their damned, dirty hands on my Crybaby - hours of paper delivering paid for that sucker!

Guess all I have to do now is wait for my ship(ment) to come in!

Well the only reason I would keep it (for myself) is I might use it again. It is still exceptionally relevant in the modeling world and you can't beat the form factor. Old tones revisited can feel fresh.

-B

received my Helix on Wednesday, my HD500x is sold and being shipped next week. no regrets....

I have an open ticket on my Helix which necessitates a shipment to Calabas.  I'm very glad that I held on to my HD500, though I'm going to miss the tones I've slaved over until the unit is returned.

Perhaps it's time to bust out the flamenco guitar.