Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt 50 harsh mids

kellythebastard

Put the Dt 50 through a good 3 hour rehearsal today, but noticed a harsh upper mid I was not able to dial out. The same upper mid distortion you get with cheaper tube brands.... Anybody have suggestions for tubes for this thing??? Going for Jtm45/100/plexi channel A and an 800/5150 type channel B. Just using amp and a 1 button foot switch.post-2338785-0-11397800-1456900682_thumb.jpeg

check your bias if you are running Class AB most of the time...If the bias drifts a bit, you will get crossover distortion that can be quite harsh and nasty like you describe...If you are running loud in AB mode, best to check it periodically...if it goes away when you switch to Class A, that could indicate the AB fixed bias has drifted...welcome to owning a tube amp!

• 1 month later...

Maybe try this:

Working the amount of DRIVE, VOLUME, MASTER -or- MASTER (Pulled Out) makes a tremendous difference in overall tone and sound. I know this sounds pretty basic, and I don't mean to be insulting, but if you are a "Turn Everything to 10" kind of player, this will have a HUGE impact on the overall tone. I have the DRIVE usually close to "dimed out" but back off of the CHANNEL VOLUME to about one o'clock. I set the MASTER just below my stage or practice volume level and then dial up the CHANNEL VOLUME until I get "the" sound and adjust the MASTER accordingly so as not to annoy the people at the airport... Ha!

If this was a no-brainer for you, again, I didn't mean to offend.  I've had tube amps for 30 years, but my other workhorse amp is a solid state Line 6 HD147 and sometimes I forget to adjust back to the "tube world" when tweaking distortion sounds.