Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Building My Own Preset - Quesiton

aftrshok

db5ddd71-3524-4cc0-947a-d0ce55a35a17_zps

I'm working on a preset and here is a pic of it. I have a couple of questions regarding how I should do my switching. This preset does two things, 1) Is fairly clean and then gets dirtier based on the distortions I kick in. 2) I have it setup to do swells (based on the preset from Scott @ The Helix Channel).

Path 1 A/B is set to be clean when the distortion pedals are off, then some dirt with the Minotar and then more dirt with the Scream 808. I have the each distortion pedal assigned to it's own footswitch on the bottom row (left to right based on gain). Then on path 2 A/B I have two delays (one dotted 8th and one 1/4) and have a plate reverb.  This path will be what I use for leads and everything in between.

Path 2 A/B is set up for swells only, which use (from left to right on path 2 A) delay, reverb, modulation. Path 2 B - delay, reverb, modulation.

Path 1 B - delay

I have all 7 of those and the amps channel volume (little bit of volume increase) assigned to one footswitch.

The other 2 delays and last reverb are not used for the swells.

I said all that to say this, my main issue is when I'm not using the swell part of the preset, I have to many other footswitches to click on (depending on the my needs at the time during a song) but how do I keep the toe tapping to a minimum?

There will be times I need the dotted 8th by itself or the 1/4 delay by itself or both together at times. I usually wan't the last reverb on at this time also. That's 5 footswitches that I have to be turning on and off. If I go back to the swell I have to turn those all off first.

Any ideas? I really don't want two separate presets, would like it all in this one.

• Upvote 1

Rather than turn on/off individual blocks, can't you assign multiple blocks to switches to effectively create what I believe people are calling scenes.  The only restriction which I'm not sure of is how many blocks you can toggle with a single switch.

You can assign up to 8 blocks/assigns to each switch. 

Biggest difference from what people call scenes is that you cannot have multiple switches controlling the same block, But you can just put in two identical blocks if needed and allowed by DSP. 

If you setup the split-block in path 2 to "A/B", you can make a controller assign, that changes from path 2A to 2B in one click - and with spilover.

1. Go to splitblock

2. Dial joystick to "A/B"

3. Press and hold knob 1 "Route to" until the controller assign menu comes up

4. Select the switch you would like. 

5. Set the values: Min: 100A Max: 100B 

6. BAM! 

Besides that i would put my vol. pedal after the amp for swells. But that is just personal taste.

Rather than turn on/off individual blocks, can't you assign multiple blocks to switches to effectively create what I believe people are calling scenes.  The only restriction which I'm not sure of is how many blocks you can toggle with a single switch.

I've got one footswitch maxed out with 8 blocks for the Swell part of my preset.

You can assign up to 8 blocks/assigns to each switch. 

Biggest difference from what people call scenes is that you cannot have multiple switches controlling the same block, But you can just put in two identical blocks if needed and allowed by DSP. 

If you setup the split-block in path 2 to "A/B", you can make a controller assign, that changes from path 2A to 2B in one click - and with spilover.

1. Go to splitblock

2. Dial joystick to "A/B"

3. Press and hold knob 1 "Route to" until the controller assign menu comes up

4. Select the switch you would like. 

5. Set the values: Min: 100A Max: 100B 

6. BAM! 

Besides that i would put my vol. pedal after the amp for swells. But that is just personal taste.

Also maxed out my DSP on each Path so I don't think splitting like you mentioned will work for this preset but the information will come in handy for future presets.

I agree with the vol. pedal being after the amp, for some reason I had moved it and forgot to move it back. Thanks for mentioning that!!

Hmm... 

But my guide was on how to switch directly from you normal FX-chain and down to the Swell-chain in one click ? 

It wont take up any more DSP than already used ? 

I gotcha, I think I just didn't quit understand what you were telling me. On my Path 2 A I have mod, delay, verb, delay, verb. The last delay and verb are for Path 1 is my normal FX-chain. In Path 2 B I have mod, delay, verb, delay. Last delay here is also for Path 1 normal FX-chain.

So if I understand correctly I would need to move anything related to the swell part of the preset down to Path 2 B and everything else (for my normal FX-chain) can be in Path 1 A/B and Path 2 A? That way when I one click it goes to Path 2 B and only the swell effect blocks are heard and then clicking it off it will go back to the normal fx-chain?

Am I in the ballpark? LOL

• 1 month later...

When you say this board is made for swells and gets dirtier with each kicked in pedal, it sounds like youre building a church pedalboard. I just bought a helix myself and thats exactly what im trying to do right now so any tips would be great if thats what youre doing