Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Speaker Mic Distance

GadgetGuitar

A couple weeks ago I watched the Line 6 Support video where Rob Math built a Hendrix tone.  He used a two cab speaker block and adjusted the mic distance to 6" in both cases.

Over the past few years I have been using the Axe, and now the Helix.  I got in the habit with the OwnHammer IRs and others of using a 1" Cap or CapEdge.  Sometimes I would use a two mix IR with a room mic and something on the speaker.  Never messed with the mic distance.  In my mic'd cab days, i would put the mike just off center against the cloth.

I went back to my main patches and changed the IRs to further distance and a few with Speaker cabs I changed the distance.  Found I like this much more for my Vox/Fender or Spanky tones.  I have mainly been playing my strat lately and finding this to be avery nice sound.

Just wondering if anybody messes with he mic distance or just leaves it default to 1"

• Upvote 1

I always change it. That doesn't mean it won't be the same as the default. But you never know if something might sound better unless you try it. What the mic distance ends up being depends on the tone type and context.

• Upvote 1