Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Transparent 'bypass' type tone

Nightfly

Hi all

I'm not using the amp modelling stuff just yet(I have Mesa Boogies so don't really see the point), but using the Helix into the front of the amp does seem to flatten my tone. Is the 4 cable method the only way to get the tone back ?

Thanks

Im assuming you are trying to match the sound of plugging your guitar directly into your amp as closly as possible when running through Helix with some/all blocks bypassed. You might be able to compensate for some your perceived "flatness" by adjusting the global eq (page 40 of the manual) or adding eq and adjusting levels of the preset(s).

If your trying to bypass the Helix completely and get a pure plugged in tone, you might want to look at a true bypass looper. I use a Keeley, it's really small. There are others too, even midi controllable like RJM if you want to go that far. I keep the Keeley true bypass looper on my pedalboard anyway as a safety net in case anything on the board (cables, pedals, power) craps out on a gig.

I've tried Helix with my Mesa Mark V, Stiletto Duece 2, and Triaxis/2:90 so far and haven't had really taken issue with 4CM sound quality. Plugging straight into the amp and true bypass is IMO the best possible tone usually though.

Maybe you can post your cabling method here too to double check that.

This post with some Helix send/return loop settings suggestions may help too

http://line6.com/support/topic/18791-4cm-sound-differences/

Some statements from the post

The return has to be set at 100% for 4cm. You will have phase issues if not, which is the "plastic" sound that you describe. 

You will also want to make sure you bring down your return dB level. If not you will be going into your effect loop too hot and this will cause unwanted clipping which will make it sound harsh. I have mine on -6.5dB.

I dont use an true amp (i use monitor and pa) but out of curiosity, what is the input impedance of the Mesa?

Also, does a non-bypass pedal in the off position (Ala Boss) have the same effect as the Helix?

Not sure of the Mesa input impedance. And honestly, I really don't know what the signal path and buffering technology is in the Helix.

I really don't want to start a great debate on this forum, but here are pretty good articles on buffered vs true bypass

http://www.guitarplayer.com/effects/1018/all-about-true-bypass-pedals/13031

http://www.bossus.com/community/boss_users_group/1633

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, 4CM adds A LOT of cable.  Maybe there is or isn't some buffing in the Helix that helps with this.  Maybe Nightfly's cables are really long or have other issues with them.