Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mix & Level Settings on IRs

HonestOpinion

I have a general question for users more expert on using IRs. Where do you generally set the "Mix" and "Level" parameters? In particular I am interested in where you set the Level. I would have thought that generally the Level should be set at "unity" at 0db, but I have found that particularly on the acoustic IRs, this can result in a fizzy kind of unpleasant sound. Setting the Level lower usually sounds better to my ears.

So where do you set the Mix and Level parameters for both electric and acoustic IRs? Please specify whether you are using electric or acoustic. Thanks!

Most commercial IRs are released at line level. The internal signal running through the Helix is more like instrument level, so it's a good idea to start out with the level set to -18dB. I typically just leave the mix set to 100%, even for acoustic guitars.

• Upvote 1

Most commercial IRs are released at line level. The internal signal running through the Helix is more like instrument level, so it's a good idea to start out with the level set to -18dB. I typically just leave the mix set to 100%, even for acoustic guitars.

Thanks for the response Phil! Yep, -18db has become my sort of go to Level setting although I have been more inclined to run my Mix at around 50%, at least on acoustic IRs. With your explanation regarding Helix's internal signal level it makes more sense as to why the -18db setting sounds better. I will have to experiment more with the Mix setting.  Anyone else wanna weigh in on what works best for them or what should theoretically work best with the Helix, please have at it.

I run two IRs in parallel. 

One of them is actually for classical guitar - that one sound very dark and muddy by itself, but when you mix it with your favorite it becomes rich and full. 

Then you can even pan them a bit to create some stereo image... 

Where are you running the Mix & Level parameter settings?

If I only use one, the mix is about 55-70% i think. 

I havnt found one yet, that does not take out a lot of lowend, sÃ¥ I use the mix, to bring some of this back. 

The level is just where I find it fitting volume wise. Its about the -18dB. 

When is use 2 IRs i set the mix higher as the purpose of the Second IR is to bring some of that bottom end back. I Think one of them is at 100% (The classical) and the other one is at 85%-ish or higher.