Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with understanding paths

floyd99

Hi folks

Question.. Pls refer to screenshot.

Firstly - Ignore path 2B as this is set to AUX Input and is dedicated circuit for acoustic.

So.. For the electric...

Path 1A has a split which goes down to 1B. It's a Y split currently. It then comes back and outputs to path 2A where it then outputs to PA.

Something I don't understand.. If I move the Amp and Cab from the current position up to the end of path 1A (say just before the split), it sounds different. I don't understand this.. Given the placement in the chain is basically unchanged - it's just moved to a different path but there's nothing different coming before or after if I place them in either spot. Hence I don't quite understand why the sound would differ.

Clearly I'm missing something ;)

I'm also struggling with the best spot to put hi/low cut EQ. It's currently just after the distortions and before the amp/cab.

Appreciated. I'm very new to the modeling world.. I'm a pedals and amp person!

Cheers

Dave

post-561563-0-85200000-1457004982_thumb.jpeg

Obviously, something in the chain is causing it. I'm a little more concerned that your patch might be allowing some non-amped guitar through the chain in parallel (depending on how you are using that split). THAT may be causing what you're hearing, too, as a bunch of the dry guitar signal is getting through the way you have it now, potentially, and NOT getting through if you have the amp before the split.

For hi/low cut EQ, I am currently just using what's available in the cab block. it works well for me.

Also, if you aren't truly splitting FX, there's no reason for a split. Easier to just have path 1A go to path 1B and continue on.

Check the parameters on your Y-split block in Path 1A. That's the only signal chain difference between the two amp/cab placements. That Y-split block can be used to send only part of the signal to Path B. In order to get an identical output/sound in the two situations i think you should set the Route To parameter for the Y-split block to send the full signal to Path B (B=100). That should send the full signal to Path B and none to continue on in Path A.

Note that any signal that continues on in Path A reaches the output potentially affecting the final sound. It also represents a reduction in the signal sent to Path B, affecting the sound/tone of the Path B FX blocks.

Thanks Peter, I think you're right. And that makes sense.

So, the only reason I had the split was because there's no way I see to have 1A go to 1B to basically continue the chain. The only output options on 1A is to jump down to 2A or B.

Peter got the answer.

If I use a low/high cut, I'll usually use it right after the cab block. The low/high cut on the cab blocks work as well, but I find the separate EQ block to sound better. They have different slopes, with the EQ block having more of an affect.

The issue is that right now you have path 1B in parallel with 1A and 2A, when I gather that you actually want to have it in a serial configuration. That's why the amp and cab sounds different when you move it before the split. In the position you have it now, it's actually in parallel with an "un-amped" tone. To get one long serial path, move the merge block from path 1A down to path 1B. For the output block on 1A, just pick an output you're not using - USB 3/4 might be a good one. Then set the output block of 1B so it feeds into 2A. That will give a long serial path going 1A > 1B > 2A.

The issue is that right now you have path 1B in parallel with 1A and 2A, when I gather that you actually want to have it in a serial configuration. That's why the amp and cab sounds different when you move it before the split. In the position you have it now, it's actually in parallel with an "un-amped" tone. To get one long serial path, move the merge block from path 1A down to path 1B. For the output block on 1A, just pick an output you're not using - USB 3/4 might be a good one. Then set the output block of 1B so it feeds into 2A. That will give a long serial path going 1A > 1B > 2A.

OOH that's clever.

OOH that's clever.

Well, it's on page 18 on the manual (which, remember, is horrible and doesn't tell you how to actually do anything... :D ).

Also, one thing I said up above isn't really correct. You don't have to actually select a different output for the output block to 1A (that's what happens when I reply before 7:00 AM). You just need to set the level parameter of the output block all the way down.

• Upvote 1

Yep. From the Quick Start section:

1. Use the joystick to select the point where paths A and B split or merge.

"Split" and "Merge" blocks only appear when selected, but can be adjusted and moved like any other processing block.

2. Press ACTION to pick up the Split or Merge block for moving.

Choose one of the following parallel routing options: 

Super Serial

A serial path has eight processing block locations. If that’s not enough, you can use parallel path B to create one big “super serial†path.

1. Move the Merge block down to path 1B.

A duplicate Output block is created.

2. Move the Split block all the way to the right, past the last processing block on path 1A.

3. Select the Output block on path 1A and turn Knob 2 (Level) all the way down.
    That way, you’re only hearing Output 1B. 

Of course, if this still isn’t enough, you could always duplicate the above signal ow with path 2 and then route path 1B’s output block to path 2A for one gigantic serial tone with up to 32 block locations (DSP permitting - See "Dynamic DSP"): 

You could also use 8 TEMPLATES > 01C Super Serial and 8 TEMPLATES > 02D Super Serial x2 as starting points.