Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Brand New Standard Starts Making Airy Noises

RJKaneao

Hello, I just purchased and received my first Variax (Standard) Sunburst. First of all, it's a beautiful guitar and plays very well and feels great. I bought this guitar because I really needed a guitar that I could take to a gig and have so many different guitar types and tuning available like I'm sure many of you are thinking alike. Well, I was getting to know my new guitar absolutely stoked out. It played good for about 3o minute then it made a quick screeching sound and I just shrugged it off as it is working with some complex modeling systems and I kept playing. Well, maybe 10 to 15 minutes later this large airy noises started coming out of the guitar. When I turn the modeling system off and just use the regular SSS (Single-coil) system it fine but every time I push down on the modeling pot to on that guitar modeling system it starts that airy sound again. It's pretty loud and something I can't get by with. I also notice the 4th string (D string) is quite softer then the rest. I guess a new set of strings and setup might help with that but I'm totally bummed out with the noise problem. Please anyone of you can help me please let me know. I'm thinking that this could be a common situation but not sure. Much aloha from Hawaii and mahalo (Thank You) in advance.

I think you likely have a hardware failure somewhere. While not common, it happens. And in all electronic systems any faulty parts or workmanship tend to fail early in the life of the device. Based on when this happened I suspect that's what you're dealing with.

First thing I would do is check whether you can just return it to where you bought it and get a replacement. If not, I would open a support ticket.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

Ok.. I contacted Zzounds and they told me to contact Line 6.. Unfortunately we're 2 hours behind the pacific coast line and 5 hours behind the Eastern Coast so I gotta do this in the morning. I'll probably end up sending it back.. Too bad I had an awesome gig to use it at tonight but it'll have to wait if it is as you said (hardware) problem. Disadvantage of living in Paradise is everything's so far away and shipping is a beast to pay. But the airy "white noise" I guess you could call it is a "no go!" Hopefully they'll be able to send a new one while I'm sending the other back cause I feel like I've paid the one day express fedex (higher cost) shipping only to have it malfunction. Thanks again.

Ok.. I contacted Zzounds and they told me to contact Line 6...

This is ridiculous. They're passing the buck. Sounds like you've only had it for a day or two. They must have some kind of return policy for defective merchandise.

And if you don't want to go that route, I'd try re-flashing the firmware before you start shipping the thing all over the world for repair. ..for whatever reason, that fixes a lot of glitches on these things. It's worth a shot...can't make it any worse.

Thanks, I'm new to this I'll try and do what you say in the morning before giving in to the shipping gods. I must say that the guitar is top notch.. I've never owned a Yamaha and I have friends who are endorsers for the company even for line 6 so I know how awesome the gear is.. By trade I'm a working musician, producer etc and I just thought this would be a good Swiss Army knives to have in my collection of guitars. I will have to look up what you've said to try "reflashing" the firmware. If there's still an issue then it's going back. Thank for your advice..