Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Stagesource L3m

lespaul79

I am currently using this with my JVM but I am thinking about getting the Stagesource L3m for home practice, band practice and playing out live. Is anyone currently using one or even the L2m? We play mostly rock and classic rock and I want to make sure that this going to be a good choice! Can anyone share some info on their experience?

• Upvote 1

It's an excellent choice. I run a Helix Rack through two L3t speakers and it's a beautiful thing.

If you do decide to go with the Stagesource I suggest you look carefully at the L3t vs. L3m. For the extra $$ the side panel mixer is a great deal. For instance, for home practice or duets you could have a vocal and an acoustic guitar with your Helix with no extra mixer required.

• Upvote 1

• Oh I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.  I started with an L3T so I would have the mixer option for my acoustic guitar.  Then I bought an L2T for monitoring my electric guitar before going to mixer at church.  I prefer the 3 and the sound quality of the 3way vs. the 2 way is worth the money.  But the 3 is kinda heavy for this old guy to be lugging back and forth twice a week to church - hence the L2T purchase.  Before buying the 2, I had already I decided I wanted a stereo speaker setup at home and a single speaker for church.  So I figured if I had one of each, I could make a more educated decision as to which duplicate speaker I should buy for my stereo purpose leaving the remainder at church. They do both sound awesome but what I ended up with is the L2T stays at church and I have an L3T and L3M at home for stereo.  Church music is contemporary requiring some gain and a lot of U2 Edge type guitar to sweet swells etc.  At home I'm playing everything from Gilmour, to SRV, to Hendrix, to Petrucci, to Mark Knopfler dumble clean.  Both the 2 and 3 can handle it all amazingly.  It's just kinda like the difference between a 1x12 and a 4x12.  Except that's not exactly right either because they (FRFR) work off a different principle than regular speaker cabinets.  You can get sweet, or big cab chunk, from either - and at 'any' volume.  I personally would ignore the various settings options on the speaker when playing through, or creating presets for, the Helix.  Leave it on the reference  monitor/pa/FRFR mode (top button).  I think the other settings might be better for when the audio signal is coming back to you from the house board and not directly from Helix > speaker > your ears.   Unfortunately, the Helix factory presets and those you can purchase or download for free, are all over the place volume-wise.  I've read somewhere on this forum that the main volume knob of the Helix should be maxed for unity gain.  Unity with what _ I don't know.  I certainly haven't found it.  I like to create/adjust my presets so that they sound good with both the Helix volume knob and the Stagesource speaker knob at 12:00.   Then I use the Helix main volume to compensate for the difference in venues and/or the interpretations of presets created by others.   But with 12:00 as a starting point, I never have to adjust Helix main volume so far that it changes the original tone much.  Contrary to popular belief, I find that even with FRFR speakers, drastic volume changes will have similar effect to changing volume levels on your guitar.  Your intended foundation tone can get clean/dirty with drastic Helix main volume changes. 

• Upvote 1

I just used the L2M for the first time at a gig last weekend and it was perfect. Used the L6 connection. Helix master at 12:00 and L2M only about a third up and it was plenty loud in a large theater. I am in an 80s band that covers everything from Madona to Motley Crue. I would also highly recommend the wheeled carry bag.

I had my first band practice last night with a helix & L2M combination.  The L2M was more than loud enough to keep up with the rest of the band, and the volume on it wasn't even at the 12 noon position (and they play LOUD!).  The other guitarist said that it sounded much better than my previous rig (H&K Trilogy + 4x12") as it wasn't so bottom heavy and there was a lot more clarity (so dialling in a low and high cut worked out nice)

Now just I just need to get more time to program more patches :)

• Upvote 1

I have both L2's and L3's because I have the Line 6 Dream stage and I found out a long time ago (a few years) messing around with them and my 11 rack I noticed that with the L3's I was only hearing the guitar out of 1 of the drivers I thought something was wrong and I tried the other and it was the same so I asked in a post on the forum for the stage source  speakers and found out from Don Boomer a line 6 tech told me that was normal because of the cross over in the speaker and if I plugged in a bass and sure enough playing on the low end there was sound from both drivers on the L3's so unless you are playing a 7 or 8 string guitar and doing dive bombs on the whammy bar or a bass you will never get down to the frequency passed the crossover to use the other driver and that kinda makes it a waste, but if you use the L3T's and L6 link them and use the mixers (2x L3T=10 channel mixer) on them to run a full band that will be worth it.

that being said the 2 L2M's with the L6 Link are real sweat and you will save a few hundred bucks and your back and they are extremely loud and clear.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the feedback guys!! What is the difference between the L2t and the L3t. I'm not looking to add the rest of the band through the Stagesource, its just me using it as a backline. I guess what I am asking is tone wise. Will there be any tonal differences between the two. Will the L3t be more punchy kinda like what JLondon said about the L2t being like a 1x12 cab and the L3t being a 4x12 cab. I know the L2t will be plenty loud enough but the L3t will give me room for larger places for the future! Thanks all!

Compared to the L2t, the L3t adds a subwoofer with a 250 Hz crossover and it's own 655 W power amp.

If you are pushing lots of power in the 47 Hz to 250 Hz range while simultaneously pushing lots of power in the 250 Hz to 2.2 kHz range, as you would be if you were amplifying the whole band at high volumes, then the L3t is what you want.

If you are just amplifying a single instrument that can do with out the 47 Hz to 51 Hz range and you would not be pushing the limits of the L2t's ample power, the the L2t will do fine.

StageSource L2t and L2m

- 800-watt, 2-way, bi-amped speaker system

- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 44 Hz to 19 kHz

- Frequency Response (±3 dB): 51 Hz to 18 kHz

- Maximum SPL Output: 128 dB peak @ 1 meter

- Directivity Factor (Q): 9.2 (averaged 1 kHz to 16 kHz)

- Directivity Index (DI): 9.6 dB (averaged 1 kHz to 16 kHz)

- Crossover Frequencies:

-- LF to HF Crossover - variable, 2.2 kHz to 7.0 kHz (Speaker Mode dependent) (2.2 kHz in Reference/P.A. mode)

- Low Frequency Transducer: 10†extended range woofer, 2†diameter voice coil, 4Ω impedance

- Output Channel: LF, Power Amplifier Type: Class D, Peak Output Power: 655 Watts

- Output Channel: HF, Power Amplifier Type: Class AB, Peak Output Power: 175 Watts

- Dimensions (HxWxD): 23.75†(603 mm) x 12.25†(312 mm) x 12.25†(312 mm)

- Weight: 39.1 lb (17.7 kg)

StageSource L3t and L3m

- 1,400-watt, 3-way, tri-amped speaker system
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 40 Hz to 19 kHz
- Frequency Response (±3 dB): 47 Hz to 18 kHz
- Maximum SPL Output: 132 dB peak @ 1 meter
- Directivity Factor (Q): 8.7 (averaged 1 kHz to 16 kHz)
- Directivity Index (DI): 9.4 dB (averaged 1 kHz to 16 kHz)
- Crossover Frequencies:
-- LF1 Low-pass - 250 Hz
-- LF2 to HF Crossover - variable, 2.2 kHz to 7.0 kHz (Speaker Mode dependent) (2.2 kHz in Reference/P.A. mode)
- Low Frequency Transducer: 2 x 10†extended range woofer, 2†diameter voice coil, 4Ω impedance

- Output Channel: LF1, Power Amplifier Type: Class D, Peak Output Power: 655 Watts

- Output Channel: LF2, Power Amplifier Type: Class D, Peak Output Power: 655 Watts

- Output Channel: HF, Power Amplifier Type: Class AB, Peak Output Power: 175 Watts

- Dimensions (HxWxD): 33.875†(861 mm) x 12.25†(312 mm) x 12.25†(312 mm)

- Weight: 57.5 lb (26.1 kg)

• Upvote 1

Make sure the Helix Digital In/Out setting is AES/EBU (see Global Settings, Ins/Outs, page 3). L2t speaker mode should be PA/Reference.

Do you know if using the L6Link connection alters the USB soundcard function? I was having issues, it was only allowing the Helix to run as a two channel soundcard; not sure if the issue is with my Windows 7 PC, or maybe I need to reinstall drivers. Streamed / recorded music fine using L6Link; but I didn't try running the XLR outs instead to see if that alters the soundcard options in Pro Tools..

I think Helix (like other L6 devices) can only use one digital i/o at a time. So if you're using L6 Link the USB connection to DAW may well be limited to digitized stereo audio with no additional digital multi-channel capability.

• Upvote 1

I think Helix (like other L6 devices) can only use one digital i/o at a time. So if you're using L6 Link the USB connection to DAW may well be limited to digitized stereo audio with no additional digital multi-channel capability.

Yeah, that makes sense! 

I use both USB (all 8 channels on occasion) and spdif at the same time. No limitations as far as I can tell.

Glad to see more info about the Line 6 Stagesource gear.

I too am considering a L2t for live monitoring of the Helix. The more I read, the more complicated all this FRFR stuff seems. mjorden above seems pretty pleased with a L2t in a large theatre setting, Helix plugged into the L6 link of the speaker. This could be the way forward for me. :)

I use both USB (all 8 channels on occasion) and spdif at the same time. No limitations as far as I can tell.

I had issues trying to use USB and AES/ (L6Link), only gave me two channels in ProTools; might be user error on my end though!

Had some issues with my PC and the Helix drivers, I need to give it another more in depth attempt.

L2t speaker mode should be PA/Reference.

I just started using the L6 link from the Helix direct to an L2m. I was surprised to see this comment. Previously I had the Helix hooked up through the mixer using the L2ms as monitors where of course they were set to Reference. I thought connecting directly to the L2m via L6 would sound better with the "Guitar" setting. Why is the PA/Reference setting better than the one intended for guitar? Is the guitar setting intended more for an analog guitar and pedals rig?

I believe it depends on whether your Helix preset uses a cab/mic model. If not, set the L2 to Electric Guitar and it adds some EQ to simulate a guitar cabinet. If you are using a cab/mic in the preset (that was my assumption) then set the L2 to PA/Reference to give more of an FRFR EQ.

Here's what the manual says about the Electric Guitar mode:

The overall frequency response emulates the sound of a 212 combo amp. The 10†speaker plays full range, with the horn adding only the smallest amount of sparkle.

Edit: So it seems to me that if you use a cab/mic in the preset and then also set the speaker mode to Electric Guitar then you are doubling up on the cab modelling. That may sound great and there's nothing wrong with doing it. Let your ears be the guide.

I had issues trying to use USB and AES/ (L6Link), only gave me two channels in ProTools; might be user error on my end though!

Had some issues with my PC and the Helix drivers, I need to give it another more in depth attempt.

Maybe it's different for the L6 Link. In some cases and for some devices (not sure about Helix's use of this), isn't this connection more than just a digital audio signal? Doesn't it contain some sort of two-way control info?

The manual doesn't say anything about USB being limited if the L6 Link is used.

I believe it depends on whether your Helix preset uses a cab/mic model. If not, set the L2 to Electric Guitar and it adds some EQ to simulate a guitar cabinet. If you are using a cab/mic in the preset (that was my assumption) then set the L2 to PA/Reference to give more of an FRFR EQ.

The overall frequency response emulates the sound of a 212 combo amp. The 10†speaker plays full range, with the horn adding only the smallest amount of sparkle.

Edit: So it seems to me that if you use a cab/mic in the preset and then also set the speaker mode to Electric Guitar then you are doubling up on the cab modelling. That may sound great and there's nothing wrong with doing it. Let your ears be the guide.

Thanks, make sense, I will compare the two.

Thanks, make sense, I will compare the two.

All this being said and yes it is correct but if you are looking to hear what your helix will sound like coming out of the FOH then well you're making presets at home with an L2 it would be better to use it on PA reference with the L6 link so that you'll have complete transparency and know what your sound will be coming out from FOH if you were to do it the other way without using FRFR set up then you are coloring the sound so it will not give you a true impression of what will come out of the XLR into FOH
  • Upvote 1

And if I was not clear enough in my thoughts on using the L2 VS the L3 I'll try to just make it real short and sweet and unless you're playing in a 7 string an 8 string or a bass just get some L2M's, you'll save quite a bit of money and you won't miss anything because if you were using the L3's you're not using the low-frequency driver. i.e. The Second 10 inch woofer because the crossover.

Wow good info here guys- Thanks!

Altho I don't have any Line-6 FRFR cabs yet (they look sweet) Am I going to regret not having L6-Link at some point?..., and since Im planning on using 2 Atomic CLR's (500 watts each and I already have them) for FRFR for my Helix, I assume that Helix needs IR's and Mic simulation ON, and outs needs to be set for PA/FRFR... Correct?

Yes to all points, except you won't necessarily regret not having L6 LINK unless you eventually get the Stagesource speakers. As for output settings, there isn't a specific PA/FRFR setting in Helix. It's either Instrument, Mic or Line (iirc offhand). Use whatever setting matches the expected input level of your Atomics.

And if I was not clear enough in my thoughts on using the L2 VS the L3 I'll try to just make it real short and sweet and unless you're playing in a 7 string an 8 string or a bass just get some L2M's, you'll save quite a bit of money and you won't miss anything because if you were using the L3's you're not using the low-frequency driver. i.e. The Second 10 inch woofer because the crossover.

The irony being that I paid regular price for my pair of L2t, but then later got a pair of L3m on sale when Zzounds was clearing out their inventory - so paid a fair bit less for the L3m than the L2t! go figure.. I haven't seen them go back on sale like that since; they were like $699/ea for the L3m - I am glad  I snagged them when I did. I mostly use them at home for recording / jamming , my L2t live over at the rehearsal spot, beein using them when we jam on Fridays.

For the L3m, with the 10" up top elevated like that off the ground it sounds clear while I am sitting or standing, and when I run Superior Drummer into them, the kick drum low end sounds huge. I also use a 5 string bass when I am tracking stuff, so it definitely helps to have the low end crossover like that. Handlles the low B reasonably well

I don't need to use most of their available headroom / volume, but they sound great!! 

I too, am currently using an L2T with the Helix in PA Ref mode. Does anyone know if I will see any benefit to using the official Line 6 L6 LINK cable as opposed to a very high quality BLUE microphones mic XLR cable? hate to shell out 60 bucks if I dont have to, but willing if it is better. Eventually I will be adding an L2M for stereo.

I've been thinking about one of these as well. I'm currently running 4cm with my 5150 III and getting some great tones out of the Helix that way. I love my amp, but I can't help wondering how much of the Helix's true potential I'm missing out on by not running it with an FRFR speaker. Things I'm thinking about now are either a low cost option (such as an Alto or Mackie) or ditching the amp and going all in with something like an L3M. I have admit that I'm very hesitant to go without an amp, but if Helix can get comparable tones with a proper speaker, I would invest the money in a high quality FRFR. Does anybody have any advice?

I too, am currently using an L2T with the Helix in PA Ref mode. Does anyone know if I will see any benefit to using the official Line 6 L6 LINK cable as opposed to a very high quality BLUE microphones mic XLR cable? hate to shell out 60 bucks if I dont have to, but willing if it is better. Eventually I will be adding an L2M for stereo.

I have been using Dmx Cables for 3 years now they work great. Line 6 says the only thing they recommend is AES/EBU cables. you can use a regular mic cable as long as the ground is separate from the 3 pins but it may have bad connection issues. I have done just that when I was at the house noodling and was to lazy to get up and go get them from the other room. but to answer your question, find the best quality ones you can at the lowest price.

Use AES/EBU digital cable, got mine from BestTronics. They will make them any length you want. I have two 10', two 20', and two 30'. They have never given me any trouble. Use them with M20d, HD500x, and Helix, with L2t, L3m, and DT25. Should be less $$ than the Line6 branded 30' and 50' options.

BestTronics uses Belden or equivalent cable.

http://btpa.com/AES-EBU1-XX.html

Use AES/EBU digital cable, got mine from BestTronics. They will make them any length you want. I have two 10', two 20', and two 30'. They have never given me any trouble. Use them with M20d, HD500x, and Helix, with L2t, L3m, and DT25. Should be less $$ than the Line6 branded 30' and 50' options.

BestTronics uses Belden or equivalent cable.http://btpa.com/AES-EBU1-XX.html

Thanks for the input! I just ordered the L6 Link cable from Sweetwater. Figured I might as well keep it all Line 6.

I am currently using this with my JVM but I am thinking about getting the Stagesource L3m for home practice, band practice and playing out live. Is anyone currently using one or even the L2m? We play mostly rock and classic rock and I want to make sure that this going to be a good choice! Can anyone share some info on their experience?

For what it's worth, decent price on a used/mint L2m from Reverb.com

https://reverb.com/item/1808944-line-6-stagesource-l2m-2-way-powered-smart-loudspeaker-like-new

• 3 months later...

I have been using a L2m for a couple of years now (first with the HD500 and now with Helix). I put it on a tripod speaker stand behind me set up high enough so the tweeter isn't aimed at my head and it sounds great to me.

-Max

• 3 months later...

Just pulled the trigger on a l2m to compliment my helix. I can't believe how amazing it sounds. Thanks for all the great info!

Nice! Yeah, I am still quite happy with my L2t and L3m speakers; they are great at a wide variety of tones and volumes and sound good no matter what kind of patches I am running through Helix. I've been buying presets from Scott, Glenn and Fremen, and they ALL sound fantastic on both the L2 and L3 speakers.