Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

sometimes a footswitch is not reacting (1.6.5)

Ruben40

Hello
I have one footswitch (lower row, second after the preset footswitch), which some times does not react to the foot pressing.
After waiting some time or rebooting  it's working again.
Any experience ?

Could this be a bug or could it be a hardware failure ?

Thank you

Hello

I have one footswitch (lower row, second after the preset footswitch), which some times does not react to the foot pressing.

Any experience ?

Thank you

I would recommend opening up a ticket with customer service. Regardless of whether it is a bug, or hardware issue we will help you resolve the issue.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

Used to, before "touch sensitive switches" you could break in a switch by using it. Could be just a new switch that needs to be pressed a few times to "clean" the contacts a bit and then the problem just disappears forever. Or it could be a bad solder joint on a board. Since they are touch sensitive I just don't know now. Try working the switch about 50 times with your finger and see if there is any change. 

Hello

Any experience ?

Thank you

If the switch seems to work after a reboot, it might be worth reapplying the latest firmware and doing a global reset .

Not to scare you, but mine started that way, until two footswitches pretty much work 10% of the time only. Have to send it in for repairs as soon as they've got Helix's back in stock. Hope its a firmware issue for you!

Thank you for your responses.

Now I will try with pressing several times to "clean" the contact of the footswitch.

During this methode i also recognized also when i pressed once the switch recognized a double press.

If this does not solve the problem then i will send it to Line6 service.

Thank you for your responses.

Now I will try with pressing several times to "clean" the contact of the footswitch.

During this methode i also recognized also when i pressed once the switch recognized a double press.

If this does not solve the problem then i will send it to Line6 service.

The footswitches are not really depending on an electrical contact. They are actuators, meaning they are a plunger-style mechanism that activates a relay on a circuit board in the Helix. So spraying contact cleaner in there isn't going to help with the actual functionality of the switch. I actually think there's probably some chance it could be detrimental.

• 4 weeks later...

To the original OP of this post, did you get your problem resolved or did you send it back? Looks like I've got the same problem with the same switch. Only works about 50% of the time, I can use the bypass button once the effect is highlighted but the footswitch is getting worse over time it appears. All others are working great.

To the original OP of this post, did you get your problem resolved or did you send it back? Looks like I've got the same problem with the same switch. Only works about 50% of the time, I can use the bypass button once the effect is highlighted but the footswitch is getting worse over time it appears. All others are working great.

I had two switches on my first Helix go bad, my retailer swapped it out for me.

Hi

Yes I solved the problem with switching the button quickly several times (>100x) with my fingers.

I think here it was a mechanical problem. Now it's working without a problem so far.

You should try it before you send it for repair.

Hi

Yes I solved the problem with switching the button quickly several times (>100x) with my fingers.

I think here it was a mechanical problem. Now it's working without a problem so far.

You should try it before you send it for repair.

Thanks! I will try that first, really strange that it was the same switch as yours. Maybe it's just my luck!

• 2 months later...

I just started having issues with one switch on my Helix.  Mine is the Mode switch, it takes several tries to get it to switch.  This was my biggest fear buying a Line 6 product because I have had so many switch issues from their products.  To be a little fair I have had other effect pedals have switches go bad, but what makes it so hard with Line 6 stuff is that they are not just standard foot switches that can be serviced on the road with just a screw driver and solder iron.  Now I have to figure out how to send this thing in for service and be without it for who knows how long, and since I use this thing for my job several days a week I am not sure how I am going to make that happen, besides I just threw away the box because I did not room to keep it, stupid me.

• 1 month later...

I have one that thinks you clicked twice when you didn't, not always, but enough to notice. For now, I'm going to wait and see how it goes. Did buy from Sweetwater, and history says Line 6 is good about this too, but obviously I rather not send it back if I don't have to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Same switch :wacko:

...and the first after the preset footswitch begins to make problems, too :( (recognized a double press)

Switching the button quickly several times seems to work. But I fear it's a short term resolving?!

These problems should not appear on 1500$ board. I never had these issues on the pod500.

• 4 weeks later...

Same switch :wacko:

...and the first after the preset footswitch begins to make problems, too :( (recognized a double press)

Switching the button quickly several times seems to work. But I fear it's a short term resolving?!

These problems should not appear on 1500$ board. I never had these issues on the pod500.

I've got 3 switches that are doing the same (recognized as double presses 10% of the time), and I can't send the Helix in repair, because here in Europe, it will take at least several weeks, and I can't find a time where I don't need the Helix for a few weeks (rehearsal, gigs, studio, ...)

Can you keep me posted if you got more infos on it? (software, hardware, if hardware how has it been repaired, ...)

Thank you very much!

I've got 3 switches that are doing the same (recognized as double presses 10% of the time), and I can't send the Helix in repair, because here in Europe, it will take at least several weeks, and I can't find a time where I don't need the Helix for a few weeks (rehearsal, gigs, studio, ...)

Can you keep me posted if you got more infos on it? (software, hardware, if hardware how has it been repaired, ...)

Thank you very much!

I have the same problems, ...from Europe and can't find a time where I don't need the Helix, too.

I will ask the dealer next week how long a repair will last.

Sometimes the switches work good and sometimes 50% double presses. Then I have to rotate the switch a little and it's better.

But the only way to fix it long term is to change the switch.

I have the same problems, ...from Europe and can't find a time where I don't need the Helix, too.

I will ask the dealer next week how long a repair will last.

Sometimes the switches work good and sometimes 50% double presses. Then I have to rotate the switch a little and it's better.

But the only way to fix it long term is to change the switch.

Yeah, but isn't it strange that 3 switches are dead? I mean, 1 footswitch, it's a faulty one, but 3 faulty switches out of 12 seems really high, so I suspect it might not only be the switches :(

Yeah, but isn't it strange that 3 switches are dead? I mean, 1 footswitch, it's a faulty one, but 3 faulty switches out of 12 seems really high, so I suspect it might not only be the switches :(

That's is very annoying. But I'm pretty sure it is a contact problem inside the switches. ...perhaps a faulty batch?

Maybe Line6 could make some sensitivity adjustments in a firmware update, but I'm not really sure this would help.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Fix-footswitch-problems/841146-23508#idea-details-tab-activity

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I have already replaced 2 footswitches on my Helix, and now the third one is also going bad. The repairman showed me that small footswitch part (underneath the chrome one that you step on), which is connected to the motherboard are very bad quallity. They are not covered with small rubber protector... This rubber protector actually prevents the oxidation (which happens on temperature changes) and causes the bad operating... I think I would have to change all 12 of them with better rubber ones to get rid of this problem. Very bad Line 6. I hope now, that when Yamaha takes over, they will start to use better quallity footswithes... 

I am dissapointed.

I don't know if a rubber protector would really prevents the oxidation. I think you need an airtight vacuum switch for this. I opened my Helix today. There are standard

4Pin 6mm push button switches on the motherboard underneath the chrome parts.

something like this> http://shortcircuit.com.my/4-pin-tactile-touch-push-button-switch.html

So (after the warranty), it is possible to repair it with a soldering iron.

I tried to get some contact spray into it, ...maybe it helps

These 4Pin switches are installed in many multi-media devices, but there should be a better solution for a 1500$ high end device

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if a rubber protector would really prevents the oxidation. I think you need an airtight vacuum switch for this. I opened my Helix today. There are standard

4Pin 6mm push button switches on the motherboard underneath the chrome parts.

something like this> http://shortcircuit.com.my/4-pin-tactile-touch-push-button-switch.html

So (after the warranty), it is possible to repair it with a soldering iron.

I tried to get some contact spray into it, ...maybe it helps

These 4Pin switches are installed in many multi-media devices, but there should be a better solution for a 1500$ high end device

I had the switch issue with my up bank a while ago. Sent it back to Sweetwater for a new one to low and behold get one that has another faulty switch. The tactile switches they use exist in some of the other line 6 products. They are cheap and unreliable!! I have the M9 and had to change all the switches as they became faulty after a while. Quite dissapointing to some of the old stomp boxes which last forever :(

I had the switch issue with my up bank a while ago. Sent it back to Sweetwater for a new one to low and behold get one that has another faulty switch. The tactile switches they use exist in some of the other line 6 products. They are cheap and unreliable!! I have the M9 and had to change all the switches as they became faulty after a while. Quite dissapointing to some of the old stomp boxes which last forever :(

Yep, they don't use special stompbox footswitches. These cheap switches, you can find everywhere(notebooks, radios, ...) Not the best solution for an effect pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I solved the problem, but it is a little tricky because you have to open the Helix and to remove the switchboard.

That’s not very difficult, but you have to remove a lot of screws and two data cables to get it out.

I cleaned the contact surfaces of the little push button switch and the one of the chrome part.

Then I dribbled some contact spray on the button switch and pressed the switch a few times to get the spray inside.

Now the switches work as they should!