Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My mic is not working

arislaf

It is a dynamic RODE, that needs phantom power (already activated on helix), and no soumd is comming at all. I used it at pod hd with external phantom power and it is ok. Should I send it back again?

Edit: it is condenser mic

Edited by arislaf

It is a dynamic RODE, that needs phantom power (already activated on helix), and no soumd is comming at all. I used it at pod hd with external phantom power and it is ok. Should I send it back again?

That's strange - a dynamic mic that needs phantom power?

When you say 'send it back again'.... What is 'it'? And why was it sent back before?

When you say 'send it back again'.... What is 'it'? And why was it sent back before?

I mean helix, since I read that also some users had problems with the mic. 

I sent it back before, because I had the scrible stripes problem

my bad! it is condenser http://www.rode.com/microphones/nt1-a

Edited by arislaf

I think it's highly unlikely that your Helix is doubly-faulty. I still think it's a setting somewhere, or perhaps a routing or monitoring issue.

Try using the Helix headphones output to monitor - take any external monitoring equipment out of play. Double/triple check all relevant settings, both preset and global. Use a different XLR cable. Verify that the mic still works on other equipment.

Can't hurt to open a support ticket in case it is another hardware problem. Line 6 will be able to tell if it is and advise you on resolving it.

I think it's highly unlikely that your Helix is doubly-faulty. I still think it's a setting somewhere, or perhaps a routing or monitoring issue.

Try using the Helix headphones output to monitor - take any external monitoring equipment out of play. Double/triple check all relevant settings, both preset and global. Use a different XLR cable. Verify that the mic still works on other equipment.

Can't hurt to open a support ticket in case it is another hardware problem. Line 6 will be able to tell if it is and advise you on resolving it.

Thanks Silver, I will try!

Try with helix and external phantom power or with a dynamic microphone so you can understand if the problem is the phantom power or the Mic input/pre amp

Thanks Paolo, but I don't have a dynamic. II tried what you said with my condenser , and no sound still.

There is no chance you have to send it to repair service.

Very sad.

I've tried mine once with a shure sm57 and it works now I'm scared to try with my røde nt3.

I'm so scared that I plugged and unplugged the mic only with power switched off

Guessed so, this will be the 2nd time i will sent it... Helix proved more like Hell ix.

Geez.., this really is a bummer for you man!! Scares the hell out of me too. I guess I don't even want to try my mic (don't use it anyway) too scared it'll let me down :-( Really, really digging my Helix too much..., keep fingers crossed and touch wood every day now ;-)  I do hope better times are ahead of you!

• Upvote 1

I've had mine back from a repair

Still concerned about it because in typical Line6 fashion there is no information on whether or not this is a systemic problem or if there has been an updated board

For all I know the process is to just keep replacing I/O boards as they blow at 3 weeks down time a pop.

So I'll ask, but keep my expectations low for an honest answer

Is there a problem with the I/O boards pertaining to the Mic input?

Is anything being fixed when these boards are repaired?

I personally think this is a wider problem but because the majority of people haven't plugged phantom powered mics in yet it isn't wildly reported

But that's only my theory. I'm sure many others will pop up in the resulting vacuum of information

Now I see my mic input isn't working either, with a dynamic or condenser mic. This is starting to look like a common problem.

I'm not sure it ever worked since I don't use that input. But it should. The Mac OS X USB issue, scribble strips and mic input seem to be the most common and persistent issues.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm.  I've often wondered if everything on my Helix, and even on the HD500X I used to own, works.  There are quite a few things I haven't even tried (SPDIF, CV Jack, Mic Input).

I don't have a microphone but I guess I could check the input by running the DI out of my DT25 into it.  Maybe I can check the phantom power with a voltmeter.

Any better ideas?

Not so odd (though he said his is a condenser).. Blu makes a very good dynamic that requires phantom power. I have one. I is a great dynamic mic for vocals . I am gong to test my mic input now. I haven't grid it yet.

Apparently Line 6 has a very serious issue with the mic input/preamp on these early Helx units. I plugged n my SM58 and got nothing. I checked everything and still nothing out of the input. I changed gain and settings. Just for a test I tried my Blue Dynamic that requires phantom power. I turned I on and no power and something fried in the mic circuit. Within seconds I smelled heating/burning. I unplugged it and turned it off. It cleared and all is fine for playing but no mic circuit. I will call Line 6 tomorrow then probably talk with Sweetwater and go,with the quickest turnaround for repair. I suggest everyone test theirs with and without phantom but do not plug in a real expensive ribbon or condenser until you are sure you won't fry the mic.

Well my test worked.  DI out of my DT into the Helix mic input works fine and I'm getting 48v when I measure between pins 1& 2 or 1 & 3 with zero volts between pins 2 & 3.

EDIT:  BTW my Helix came from the first shipment in October.

Exactly what happened to me Big Ralph

The burning is a major concern

Would you like to know if the input board that replaces it works any better

So would I but no-one will tell us... I hate this tight lipped bollocks

Here is clearly a problem ... Fine stuff happens

I'm interested in HAS THIS BEEN FIXED?

The only way I can test it is by potentially burning it another board

Since it took over two weeks to get it back last time ...

Does anyone with an account on The Gear Page want to ask anyone their if they are having problems. It's a bigger audience