Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacement for Gearbox

alanbee

Apologies if this has been asked numerous times before but I am really confused as to my options to replace Gearbox with my Guitarport. I have happily used this software for years but having done my best to get it to work with windows 10 have given up as I cannot find any reliable solution and tend to lose sound on/off.

I am no professional but I spend many a time jamming along to mp3 files/backup tracks, using the loop feature and generally playing with the tones and combinations. That's about as far as it goes.

Could anyone advise me of a line6 product that would work on windows 10 and would provide (using my Guitarport device) similar (or maybe better) to what Guitarport/Gearbox has previously provided me. I read about Podfarm which is maybe what I need but don't want to shell out the money only to find out it doesn't do what I want as above.

Thanks for any help

Alan

• Upvote 1

I'm sort of in the same boat, only on the Mac platform. I've been happily using GearBox with my Tone Port UX-1 and Garage Band for years, but with the upgrade to El Capitan, I can no longer launch GearBox. My understanding is that Pod Farm is what I "should" be running, but I'm just not sure and I can't seem to get a clear answer from anyone. I am not a pro musician; far from it.

My Line 6 Monkey tells me I have the latest version of Pod Farm 2 (which I have never used, and didn't even know I had until recently) but when I try and launch it, I'm told I have no license. When I read the user manual, it's mostly Greek to me about how Pod Farm acts with Garage Band (which I assume is a DAW, but have no idea what DAW actually means). Pod Farm appears to be a Gear Box-type amp modelling, but it's apparently a "plug in" to something, though I can't figure out what.

Because I only barely understand what I'm doing, it's possible that Garage Band does all the amp modelling I need (it seems to have a bunch of options along those lines, but I've never tried them), and maybe I can turf my Line 6 software and just use the UX-1 hardware.

Can someone explain what I need to do to get back to working again? I was in the middle of recording some stuff and now have ground to a miserable and unhappy halt. I've been dead in the water for weeks and am getting very frustrated with an inability to find help on what to do.

Solved. Here's what I did to get Gear Box working with my Tone Port UX1 under OS X El Capitan:

1) Under Applications > Line 6 > Drivers, run Line 6 Driver Uninstaller

2) From the Line 6 Downloads page, download Version 7.5.7 of the Line 6 Audio/Midi driver, released 11/23/15

3) Run the downloaded package. Restart the Mac.

Line 6 Monkey does NOT identify this driver update and will NOT update the driver properly without a manual uninstall of the drivers -- at least, the Monkey would not do it for me.

FYI: I could not figure out how to control my UX 1 without Gear Box. I could not get instruments to come through the instrument port, but I could get the mic to work. I still don't understand Pod Farm, what it is or what it does, or whether I have a license or not. But through this driver update, I have the UX1 feeding audio through Gear Box to Garage Band just fine.

Spoke too soon. The above fix allows Gear Box to load. But... the moment I plug in the Tone Port UX1, Gear Box crashes. If I plug it in before launching Gear Box, Gear Box freezes on launch. If I launch Gear Box then plug in the UX1, a "Connecting the UX1 to USB" message comes up, and it freezes. 

I forced Line 6 Monkey to update the USB drivers. No change.

Back to being stuck again.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an issue which sounds similar to the OP. After "upgrading" Windows 7 to Windows 10 I was no longer able to record due to random muting of the signal being sent to my recording software (I was still able to hear the signal while playing, it just wasn't all being recorded). I determined this to be a Windows 10 issue by watching it mute/unmute in the OS settings for "recording devices" at random while I played. After various attempts to resolve the issue I went back to Windows 7 (unfortunately, 30 days had passed and Windows 10 had deleted my Windows 7 rollback files so I had to do a fresh install).

• 3 weeks later...

Ryderda, I have exactly the same issues as you with my UX2. I also tried exactly the same routine. I will look at another Line6 product, failing that an interface from another manufacturer. Really loved the sounds from the UX2, but will have to use the Garageband ones which also really cool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

No need anymore for Gearbox, at last to craft your own patches and presets.

1) You can use POD Farm 2 to create the sound you want.
2) In POD Farm , you can save this as a preset in POD X3 Live-format

3) The Backup tab in LIne Monkey lets you send this patch to the hardware at a chosen location.

I was so happy to discover this .. enjoy !

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi, I bought my guitar port many years ago (and I mean a lot of years)  I was able to upload the right drivers and install Monkey.  I have a green light on the port unit, but what do I use to play?  The old DVD with Gearbox wont work with Windows 10 and it looks like Line 6 no longer has it on downloads.  Is there another program I should use to see the amps and start playing?  I am sure that this question has been asked a lot but I wasn't able to see anything in the threads about Windows users?