Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Pedal board ideas please!!

rossclaydon

Hi all, help please!!!!

I want to setup helix on a pedalboard for easy of use obviously with the added expression pedals now setup and the extra pedals coming in from the effects loops. I had planned on getting 1 of the larger pedaltrains but im now worring about the issue of helix obviously being angled as per any other multi effects pedal chassis layout but the pedaltrain will be on an angle as well, so is there any other good options or has anyone already set this up on a pedaltrain and found that its not an issue???

Thanks

Just got a closeout Road Cases USA case/pedalboard. $119 closeout w. free shipping. The 24" one for $109 would fit better, but I'm leaving room for an additional Mission expression pedal. Bottom tray is the perfect width for the Helix.

http://www.roadcasesusa.com/effect-pedal-case-id-28x14x6-3-8-ply-factory-closeout/

Love it!!!

Just a few velcro pieces on the bottom to keep it in place. Also installed a 3" piece of soft foam for the lid to keep it all snug.

For giggin', set it down, unlatch it, plug it in, and it's ready to go. Takes me about 30 seconds.

post-1265446-0-39004100-1457370833_thumb.jpg

post-1265446-0-18396900-1457370851_thumb.jpg

Potentially dumb question: I totally get placing Helix on a pedalboard when other pedals are involved or when it's part of a flight case, but what's up with the guys who buy pedalboards for only Helix? Just... Helix in Helix Backpack, and then a pedalboard to put it on.

Is it to raise the angle of the switches? Ensure better airflow underneath? Protect the rubber feet? :huh:

Sweet! Quick question: how do I go about getting a thumbnail / image posted like that? thanks!

If your on your computer you click the more reply options button and it will give you an option to attach a file, if you are on a mobile device, scroll down to the bottom of the thread you will see a button that says full site, but that and then follow the procedure laid out above.

Potentially dumb question: I totally get placing Helix on a pedalboard when other pedals are involved or when it's part of a flight case, but what's up with the guys who buy pedalboards for only Helix? Just... Helix in Helix Backpack, and then a pedalboard to put it on.

Is it to raise the angle of the switches? Ensure better airflow underneath? Protect the rubber feet? :huh:

Yep, mine came with the flight case so my answer may not be as relevant. I purchased the Gator G-Tour LGW case for the Helix just to protect it. It came with a pedal board however and I do use it, what the heck.  My thinking was the pedalboard added the following advantages:

1. Definitely better cooling and it keeps the Helix off of carpets which might block the bottom vent.
  2. The side handles on the pedalboard and the extra height made it a little less likely that bandmembers or audience would inadvertently kick the Helix (that's my job).
  3. Lifting it a bit off the floor meant that when someone spilled a drink or the floor was wet, the Helix would not be sitting directly in the puddle (barring a direct spill onto the Helix in which case my team of nanobots with tiny sponges and hair dryers rush in).

Plenty of gigs present the struggle of drinks on the floor - especially holiday gigs, or informal outdoor gigs where people use the stage as a counter. Pedalboard gets it up off that spilled liquid.

If your on your computer you click the more reply options button and it will give you an option to attach a file, if you are on a mobile device, scroll down to the bottom of the thread you will see a button that says full site, but that and then follow the procedure laid out above.

Yeah; got that far; for some reason it's restricting my file size of attachment to 3.22kb, which is really tiny.. not sure how to get around that? I am having trouble getting anything to resize to that limit and be viewable at all. Am I missing something?

post-1188905-0-78914300-1457546519.jpg

It's super weird, because the other attachments earlier in the thread are well over 100kb. I just tried uploading several sizes until it allowed it. Not sure what I am doing wrong.. Not a big deal I guess I will figure it out! Need to get me some Photoshop..

Yep, mine came with the flight case so my answer may not be as relevant. I purchased the Gator G-Tour LGW case for the Helix just to protect it. It came with a pedal board however and I do use it, what the heck.  My thinking was the pedalboard added the following advantages:

1. Definitely better cooling and it keeps the Helix off of carpets which might block the bottom vent.
  2. The side handles on the pedalboard and the extra height made it a little less likely that bandmembers or audience would inadvertently kick the Helix (that's my job).
  3. Lifting it a bit off the floor meant that when someone spilled a drink or the floor was wet, the Helix would not be sitting directly in the puddle (barring a direct spill onto the Helix in which case my team of nanobots with tiny sponges and hair dryers rush in).

Plenty of gigs present the struggle of drinks on the floor - especially holiday gigs, or informal outdoor gigs where people use the stage as a counter. Pedalboard gets it up off that spilled liquid.

Cool; thanks, guys. Nothing I've had to worry about, but that makes sense.

Yeah; got that far; for some reason it's restricting my file size of attachment to 3.22kb, which is really tiny.. not sure how to get around that? I am having trouble getting anything to resize to that limit and be viewable at all. Am I missing something?

attachicon.gifHelix_and_sidecar (5).jpg

It's super weird, because the other attachments earlier in the thread are well over 100kb. I just tried uploading several sizes until it allowed it. Not sure what I am doing wrong.. Not a big deal I guess I will figure it out! Need to get me some Photoshop..

Hmm that's odd, I don't know what to tell you Colonel that was my first time posting an image to a forum and there were no restrictions placed on me, just a simple upload from the camera roll off my iPhone. Maybe someone else with more experience and knowledge can shed some light on the situation.

• 2 years later...

Food for thought....

For size, weight, and ease of packing vehicle, I use a separate  smaller board to the left (or the to right if you prefer) of my Helix.  Its a few cables and done.  Then can surround myself with the boards.  Makes it easier when playing and singing to have access closer. 

I have a tuner, Drop, Freqout, expression, mini Wah (because there is room and I can wah no matter if programmed or not).

I thought of a single board, but size and weight add up fast.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 12:32 PM, Joepeggio said:

I thought of a single board, but size and weight add up fast.

That's exactly why my Roland PK-5 is on it's own board.  I thought of combining them, but that would be a monster.  :o