Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First live use of the Helix tonight.

hideout

Great to hear. I'm rolling my new Helix out this coming Friday at a regular gig, and have tried to recreate the trusty patches in my X3Ls developed over the years to work with my Variax's. In doing so, I have found some great new things in Helix, and because it boils down to muscle memory -- calling up the right patches during songs, and turning the stomps on and off within them-- I wanted to program it similarly. I'm sure that the sound quality and expressiveness through the PA will be orders of magnitude better though...

Glad to hear there's others like me who go direct to the console, and monitor off a quality powered speaker. In my case that's a Yamaha DBR10 700 watt speaker taking advantage of its monitor cut for wedge style floor placement. Most of my guitar friends can't seem to get past not having a loud amp behind them, punishing the room ;-)

My own first experience using Helix at a band rehearsal was awesome!

The Helix presets I dialed-in while working alone sounded great at full volume with the band. Just needed to tweak some of the boost levels at the amp model (to compensate for the weaker signals of some of my guitars) and at the output (as a solo boost). The EQ settings I had adjusted on my Mackie Thump12 to get closer to a flat response were just right. Got thumbs-up from the other band members.

The real test was when I switched back to my tube amp, a Marshall JTM 60 2x12 combo with a 4x12 cabinet, for the first time I didn't feel a huge difference from the modelled amps. I have been using a POD HD500 on and off since it first came out, and I always felt so good switching back to my tube amp. I used the POD HD500 in a pop band where I play both guitar and keyboards and I used the Marshall combo+cab in a rock band where I play guitar only. I always felt better with the feel and tone of the tube amp, but now the Helix modelled amps sound just as good.

I'll now be using the Helix and Mackie powered speaker for guitar and keyboard with the pop band, and I'll use the HD500 for effects only (maybe with preamp models) wired with four cables to my Marshall combo+cab.

Looking forward to using Helix live on stage.

• Upvote 1