Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Greater of many awesomes (opposite of the lesser of two...)

MikeDV1

So far, biggest gripe about the Helix - too many possibilities, too many good sounds.  Today - guitar - Helix - Mesa 2:90 - two 12" Bogner speaker cabs.  It kills like that, pretty much turn off all IR's, for me they mud up at volume with those.  But - JMP-1 and/or Triaxis as a 4CM with the 2:90 - not too shabby.  Pile o' pedals - dial up a clean model (or a slightly dirty model, or a really distorted model), and run guitar into pedal pre-Helix - mighty fine!.  Or, put a pedal into one of the Helix loops, and....how about 4CM with a Freyette Sig-X...and/or through the PA along with one of the above....how about those pedal models...crap!  They all sound good - which frackin' one?  Kind of fanboy-ish, but I guess if these are the biggest complaints (the controversy over +- 2 cents in the tuner not withstanding), I guess it could be slightly worse.  Pete Thorn's video was the best/worst of it - he made every single configuration sound good.  Of course, he does that with everything he demonstrates, but he gave great examples of the heartburn/happiness caused by this thing.  My wishlist?  No more models, no more IR's, refine and tweak the little things (like spillover or letting us decide which expression pedal is #1 or #2).  Don't add the ability to tweak the amount the flux capacitor directs to the power grid that contains the amount of steam that goes to the Chinese or Korean virtual 6L6 or EL34's we've chosen in our virtual Diezel VH5 (a virtual Diezel prototype)....I don't need a firmware update for that, and even if I understood what any of that might mean on "real" amps, I would never in a million years touch that stuff anyway.

I use one Helix patch for electric guitar, almost all the time. Unless I change instruments, I almost never change the patch in a live situation. I get the tones out of my hands and the pickups on the guitar along with a fixed set of effects in the patch. I like to concentrate on the playing and not the patches. The subtle differences in patches aren't that noticeable to the audience and as you've seen, can become a distraction.

That said, I love the flexibility and options of Helix, I just don't need to use them all all the time.