Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I know a bunch of us want the editor, but I'm anticipating new firmware!!!

glideman

I've been in MI from all sides—retail sales, support, and now design/product management. Yes, there are contracts between manufacturers and dealers, but I've never heard of any sort of dealer-benefiting fee or repercussion if a product doesn't ship on time. If that were so, a lot of MI companies would be out of business.

FWIU, the dealers' payment terms typically don't begin until they receive product, so no harm, no foul.

I wasn't even talking about payment terms or purchases or shipping dates or fees from the Dealer/Retailer to Joe consumer... What I was talking about is what you agreed with, that there are contracts between the manufacturer (Line-6) and the dealer (Sweetwater / Musicians Friend- A.E. Retailer). 

Which is what I said...

Wow. Flabbergasted. Gobsmacked. Talk about rewriting history. What you said was the EXACT opposite of what DI wrote. DI is saying EXACTLY what I was saying: There is no financial penalty for not delivering a product on a particular date, which was your initial post, and what this whole thing has been about. Everything else is a side issue.

Let me repeat the only important point:

There is no financial penalty for not delivering a product on a particular date (other than lost business).

No Oz... You stated there were "no" contracts, period. He stated " Yes, there are contracts between manufacturers and dealers"... Which is exactly what I stated. Quit grasping at straws dude...  :P 

Edited: Actually, I believe now that we are all wrong in our terminology. I read where a "Distributor Agreement" is a contract between "Distributors and Manufacturers". A "Dealer Agreement" involves a "Distributor and Dealer".  Distributors are wholesalers who buy from manufacturers and sell to dealers, while dealers are retailers who buy from distributors and sell to the public. A dealer agreement is a legal document that outlines the terms of contract between a dealer and a distributor or vendor. The details of a dealer agreement typically include the purpose of the contract, the means of payment and the delivery date. The dealer agreement may also include the expected duties and responsibilities of the dealer, and the grounds on which the agreement may be terminated. Dealers are sometimes referred to as retail distributors.

So our "Markup" comes from the manufacturer, to the distributor, to the dealer, and everyone of those increase the final cost to us, the buyer... sigh.... Im sorry I even thought about this now.

Most implementations of what people consider "tone matching" is pretty much just an IR.

Tone matching on an Axe fx II involves more than just a cab emulated tone. I assume that's what you mean by just an IR?

If I had to choose between tons of updates and decent stability, I'd always take the latter.

The mere quantity of updates is not a sign of quality to me (there are enough toys out there).

I wanted a professional gear with professional support.

Absolutely!!

Fractals commitment to quality builds of the software is outstanding.  They are dedicated to the AX/FX software.  I believe what they produce is a quality product.  Was at the Hendrix Experience Concert over the weekend.  Sitting directly on the front of the stage was Dweezil Zappa's pedal board, it was an FX8 running 4CM.  So I think they put out some professional stuff.

Not putting down the Helix or support, I enjoy everything about, just going back to the original post, would love to see a new firmware.

Tone matching on an Axe fx II involves more than just a cab emulated tone. I assume that's what you mean by just an IR?

Impulse responses don't have to emulate a cab. They can also be used for acoustic guitar emulation, room emulation, reverb, or the frequency response of an entire song.

IIRC, the first IR capture utility was a Steinberg plugin called Free Filter. At the time it was used for applying the frequency response of one song to another for mastering multiple songs against each other, but it likely could've been used for cab emulation had any of us thought to use it that way.

Not sure exactly how Fractal's tone match engine works, but most tone match solutions are some variation of what Free Filter did back in the 90s.

other-music-software-170461.jpg

Fractals commitment to quality builds of the software is outstanding.  They are dedicated to the AX/FX software.  I believe what they produce is a quality product.  Was at the Hendrix Experience Concert over the weekend.  Sitting directly on the front of the stage was Dweezil Zappa's pedal board, it was an FX8 running 4CM.  So I think they put out some professional stuff.

Not putting down the Helix or support, I enjoy everything about, just going back to the original post, would love to see a new firmware.

Ok. I guess we made our points.

I prefer less but solid updates.

I don't want to be 'constantly' online (with my equipment or DAW or whatever).

And it makes no sense to me to compare any update frequencies (between different products - of different manufactures), sorry.

I hate 'alarm plings and rings' everywhere -

I want to play - guitar, in the first place ;) !

Impulse responses don't have to emulate a cab. They can also be used for acoustic guitar emulation, room emulation, reverb, or the frequency response of an entire song.

IIRC, the first IR capture utility was a Steinberg plugin called Free Filter. At the time it was used for applying the frequency response of one song to another for mastering multiple songs against each other, but it likely could've been used for cab emulation had any of us thought to use it that way.

Not sure exactly how Fractal's tone match engine works, but most tone match solutions are some variation of what Free Filter did back in the 90s.

other-music-software-170461.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Ive used some of Fractals tone matching patches, and seen them made on Youtube. They are outstanding to say the least about them. I get the hint that you are wanting to dismiss this as nothing more than a 90's version of some cheap software and I think its a bit more than this and worth another look. Nothing wrong with being proud of your business and their work (and I love what the competition has brought forth), but that would be a mistake to assume others are like 90's era software. In fact, I do hope that Helix will have the same quality of "Tone-matching" ability as the Axe FX II does now, at some point.  ;)

Perhaps we need a new pinned thread labeled, "Helix Sucks!!!  NO!  Fractal Sucks!!!  No!  You suck!  NO!  YOU DO!"

No, no need for that. Nothing wrong with being fair to both sides for their accomplishments either...