Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Message for a Line 6 manager

edken

The purchase of the Helix has represented for me a financial effort.

I had a lot of HOPE on this new pedal

When I bought the helix, I thought I could use this pedal as a USB interface.

So I decided to sell my helix to buy at another company a more expensive product that works as a true USB audio interface.

For me, finished the loss of time to post my comments on my discontent.

I will now be able to really work with my new equipment.

This is not a new debate, but the feeling of a ex-user and ex-client, frustrated and disappointed.

• Upvote 1

Were you using a Mac? Unfortunately, it seems Apple kind of did the MI world a real disservice with the release of El Capitan. Line 6 designed the Helix to be a class compliant USB device with Macs, but a wrench was thrown into their plans. Last I heard, Line 6 going to release dedicated audio drivers for Macs to get around it.

The purchase of the Helix has represented for me a financial effort.

I had a lot of HOPE on this new pedal

When I bought the helix, I thought I could use this pedal as a USB interface.

So I decided to sell my helix to buy at another company a more expensive product that works as a true USB audio interface.

For me, finished the loss of time to post my comments on my discontent.

I will now be able to really work with my new equipment.

This is not a new debate, but the feeling of a ex-user and ex-client, frustrated and disappointed.

I'm not sure what your point is.

The Helix is principally a guitar amp and effects modeller, and can be used as an audio interface. But, if you want a device whose primary function is a USB audio interface then yes, you would normally be better off getting something designed specifically for that purpose.

And Line 6 managers sometimes read these threads, but it's mostly a user forum, so they certainly may not read this. If you really want to send a message to a Line 6 manager, you need to contact Line 6 directly.

Yep. Right when Helix started shipping, there was a perfect storm of OS X El Capitan and Windows 10 releases, both of which have been... let's say, brow-furrowing. Had anyone in this industry known what was going to happen, dedicated driver development resources would've been desperately dispatched many months earlier by many different companies.

And it's not just USB audio; the actual USB port drivers—that is, drivers that make the physical USB ports work at all on specific mid-2012 MacBook Pros and iMacs—are also, shall we say, folicle-liberating. We're talking the inability to boot many USB flash drives.

So pleading with a Line 6 product manager to hear your woes is like pleading with a flight attendant about a shared plane crash. We can empathize with your pain and wring our hands along with you, but in the end, we still have zero control over birds flying into the engines.

• Upvote 3

So pleading with a Line 6 product manager to hear your woes is like pleading with a flight attendant about a shared plane crash. We can empathize with your pain and wring our hands along with you, but in the end, we still have zero control over birds flying into the engines.

LMAO! Ten bucks says he's still pissed, though...;)

Were you using a Mac? Unfortunately, it seems Apple kind of did the MI world a real disservice with the release of El Capitan. Line 6 designed the Helix to be a class compliant USB device with Macs, but a wrench was thrown into their plans. Last I heard, Line 6 going to release dedicated audio drivers for Macs to get around it.

I'm on 10.10, on two macs the helix USB audio corrupts.

I have quite a few other devices that send audio over USB, none of them have any problem at all.

So from my perspective this is not an apple problem it is a line 6 problem.

I'm on 10.10, on two macs the helix USB audio corrupts.

I have quite a few other devices that send audio over USB, none of them have any problem at all.

So from my perspective this is not an apple problem it is a line 6 problem.

Except that there are a TON of products out there that have problems just like this with 10.10 and .11. It really is NOT just L6.

I'm staying on Mavericks as long as I possibly can.

• Upvote 1

I have quite a few other devices that send audio over USB, none of them have any problem at all. So from my perspective this is not an apple problem it is a line 6 problem.

Line 6 has 2-channel interfaces that work great with El Cap; multichannel communication is apparently where the problem lies. Do you have any 8+ channel class-compliant (read: no custom driver necessary) interfaces that have been working flawlessly with El Cap from the get go? If so, we'd love to buy one and tear it apart. :)

• Upvote 1

I believe RME claims 8 channel operation in class compliant mode with El Cap for their relatively new Babyface Pro. I have not used the product; just studied the Specs and user documenattion while considering getting a top notch audio interface. RME's claims are usually very reliable, though I believe they use FPGAs in their solutions and may not rely on SW to handle the problematic USB functions.

• Upvote 1

I believe RME claims 8 channel operation in class compliant mode with El Cap for their relatively new Babyface Pro. I have not used the product; just studied the Specs and user documenattion while considering getting a top notch audio interface. RME's claims are usually very reliable, though I believe they use FPGAs in their solutions and may not rely on SW to handle the problematic USB functions.

Thanks, Martin—RME is indeed one of the best, compatibility-wise. I'll start digging.

Line 6 has 2-channel interfaces that work great with El Cap; multichannel communication is apparently where the problem lies. Do you have any 8+ channel class-compliant (read: no custom driver necessary) interfaces that have been working flawlessly with El Cap from the get go? If so, we'd love to buy one and tear it apart. :)

I'm not using 10.11, as I said it doesn't work with 10.10 on two machines.