Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix to send tracks from DAW

jnegron123

I usually use an interface to play multitracks for a live situation (click track, synth tracks, loops, etc.) and assign the outputs to send each individual track to the FOH. But I want to know if the Helix can do this using the send/receive I/O instead of the main xlr or 1/4 outputs (these I will use for my guitar signal)?

I usually use an interface to play multitracks for a live situation (click track, synth tracks, loops, etc.) and assign the outputs to send each individual track to the FOH. But I want to know if the Helix can do this using the send/receive I/O instead of the main xlr or 1/4 outputs (these I will use for my guitar signal)?

Yes, you can easily set up the routing in the Helix to ultimately result in four distinct simultaneous inputs/outputs. You can use the four returns and sends for additional inputs/outputs in addition to the L6 Link, XLR, and 1/4 outputs and the Guitar and Aux inputs.  

The Helix has two routes ("A" & "B") and each of these can be split into two separate paths (two paths per route).  Using four distinct inputs/outputs will divide the available DSP and blocks across the two routes. I believe the DSP will be divided in two not four(half the DSP for each pair of paths). This is an important distinction as it means that half of the Helix's total DSP can be distributed as you see fit across each pair of paths (rather than 25% of the total DSP being automatically allotted to each path).  You will have a max of eight blocks available for each path (DSP allowing).

DI please correct this if the DSP usage for separate paths works differently than described.

Let me see if I understand...

1)I connect the Helix via USB to my mac => Logic

2)I have 4 tracks on logic (click, drum loop, Bass, synths)

3)I want to assign (in Logic) a separate output to each one of those tracks (click to send 1, drum loop to send 2, bass to send 3, synths to send 4)

4)Therefore the question is... are these audio tracks from logic have to be assigned to a specific path on the helix?

5)If so, If I want to use one path for my guitar (processed with amps, effects, etc.) the most audio tracks that I will be able to assign to the helix outputs are 3?

6) I won't be able to pass those audio tracks directly from the DAW to those outputs without using the paths, right?

4) Yes. You need to assign them as separate inputs to the Helix paths.

5) Yes, but I think you meant to say 'inputs' rather than 'outputs' as noted in 4)

6) Correct I think, but here I'm not sure what you mean by outputs.

Just curious ..... What sort of processing are you planning to do in Helix that you can't do directly in the DAW with software plugins?

He doesn't want the Helix to process the output signals, he wants to use the outputs on the Helix like you would use the outputs on any other USB audio interface, if I'm reading this correctly. I've only tried it in limited testing at home, but you can totally assign different tracks to different hardware outputs and have them bypass the processing in helix all-together to just send "dry" audio out of the Helix. As far as changing patches and stuff, I don't know how using the Helix for USB audio effects that, and from what I've heard, don't try to use the newest Mac OS for USB audio....

For my use, I already have some personal fears about having a bunch of digital things all going in and out off the same hardware, so I'm gonna stick with the hard-panned L/R two-track output for my backing tracks coming straight off the laptop.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Gunmetal...can you elaborate on what you did to send the individual tracks to certain outputs and by pass the Helix processing?

I want to do the same thing: take the 8 outs from USB and send them to the 8 1/4" send/returns to go to FOH

I'm doing something similar and ended up using a separate interface, which totally sucks because now I have another single point of failure on my pedalboard and ground hum I have to sort out.

"I want to do the same thing: take the 8 outs from USB and send them to the 8 1/4" send/returns to go to FOH"

You can't. There aren't 8 1/4" send and returns.