Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How does Vx Standard connect to Studio One 3 Pro

BobbyD79903

The RJ-45 cable from the Variax carries digital information using a proprietary Line 6 protocol. It only communicates with Lin6 devices and software programs. You need to use the 1/4" analog output to connect to any other devices or programs. In your case you would connect using the 1/4" to a standard audio interface to record to your DAW.

Thx.  I saw a YouTube clip which connected the Variax directly to ProTools, bypassing a 3rd party A/D converter I/O box. Hence, my desire to do the same as a Presonus Studio One v3.2 user.   The reason given is that it gets the purists sound ever coming directly from the Variax.   My initial attempts to use the supplied USB/RJ45 converter works of course, with Workbench HD.  So my computer recognizes it.  But No Go with my Presonus AudioBox iOne using the Device USB port. 

Dumbfounded for now. Thx.  Ill keep monitoring for help.

... I saw a YouTube clip which connected the Variax directly to ProTools, bypassing a 3rd party A/D converter I/O box. ....

ProTools is a software package. What hardware was the Variax connected to, and what Variax output was used? 

If you can find that video can you post a link?

For some reason, reply box won't allow me to past URL.  so i've attached pic showing URL.  The pertinent section starts at 12:50 into the clip's playback, and specifically discusses how to bypass a 3rd party I/O box, and how to connect directly (source pure) digitally to ProTools from the Variax.  Very interested in your take on it.  Thx

post-1217112-0-51070100-1457638536_thumb.jpg

He finally mentions the key bit of information at 16:15. He is using a POD HD500, a Line 6 product that communicates with the Variax using the proprietary VDI (Variax Digital Interface) protocol . The HD500 is also an audio interface that connects via USB to the computer running Pro Tools. Around 16:30 he begins to provide details about the role of the HD500 as the audio interface. The connection and signal chain is Variax VDI Output -> HD500 VDI Input -> HD500 USB output -> computer USB input -> Pro Tools.

All his talk about avoiding the A/D and D/A conversions is true, but you still need a Line 6 audio interface with the required VDI support. The POD HD500 is one example of the required interface. With any other (non-Line 6 VDI-equipped) audio interface you need to use the Variax 1/4" output, with the associated D/A and A/D conversion before you get the signal to Pro Tools.

OK.  Looks like I won't be paying the bills again, and instead buying another piece of gear.   I would greatly appreciate hearing about any success along thes lines with Presonus Studio One v3.2 Pro.  since that's my DAW.    Thx for the prompt reply.

If you're looking for an audio interface in this context you basically have two choices:

- a VDI-equipped line 6 product that will avoid the extra A/D and D/A conversions from thenVariax, or

- a more standard audio interface that is used in all non-Variax electric guitar situations.

All VDI-equipped Line 6 audio interfaces are primarily guitar multi-FX devices, and are consequently much more expensive than just an audio interface device. You are paying mostly for the amp and FX modelling. But your Presonus DAW has many similar FX already built in so much of the extra cost could be considered redundant.

Also, despite the lengthy discussion that the video provides about the loss of signal quality inherent in D/A and A/D conversions, IMHO it's not really all that important. Great recordings have been made for decades with standard analog output from guitars. The Variax is a relatively recent product and I suspect you've probably never heard it's VDI recording capability in a commercial recording. Certainly no one would be able to say.... 'Ah. Listen. Hear that extra pristine recording quality because of the way Variax VDI avoids the extra conversions?'

I guess what I'm saying in such a long-winded fashion is...... Get yourself a good basic audio interface and connect the Variax using the 1/4" outputs.

Of course if money is not a consideration then go with the latest and greats Line 6 VDI-equipped device - Helix. Not only is it (arguably) the best guitar multi-FX device on the market today, as an audio interface it provides 8 channels meaning you can, among oth things, record dry and use hardware re-amping.

Understood and appreciated. If it weren't for the $$$$ that i've already invested in 2 Spider IV amps, a longboard and an FBV Express, etc. I love a Helix.  Always seems like tons or work to save up for the best gear, then you buy it, and no longer compatible.  SImply can't afford to keep doing this. I'll enjoy the Variax but probably won't upgrade until / if a digital direct USB interface makes it to the market.   Thx