Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

7.2v VARIAX Battery vs Sony camcorder batt

BobbyD79903

And the drain rate is different. Whatever internal diode is in the Sony,

will get blown. I used to see this incompatibility problem between batteries

with Sony Discman's and Sony laptops.

Using third party batteries is a dangerous coin toss for your gear. Normally

I'd agree cruisinon2, but here, it's more about the drain rate and yes, the third

pin too,... like the 3rd rail on The Underground.

Companies want you to use their power sources because they are tailored to 

and somewhat assured to work with their product. Using a 3rd party power source,

you never know what you get or how compatible it. Always a safe bet to go with

what's specified.

And so as a result there is an electrical reason for the 3rd pin. And those different

drain rates do make a difference.

From the Line 6 Knowledge Base FAQ,...

=====================================================================

Battery

Q: What kind of battery is used in the James Tyler Variax and what is the battery life?
A: JTV guitars use a lithium-ion battery similar to that of a camcorder. A fully charged battery can deliver at least 12 hours of continuous performance. There is a four light battery life indicator on the battery compartment on the back of the JTV guitars that can be viewed by pressing the round flush black button next to the lights.

4 LEDs = 9+ hours
3 LEDs = 6+ hours
2 LEDs = 3+ hours
1 LED = less than 3 hours
1 LED blinking = less than 1 hour, recharge battery

Note: Using a non-Line 6 JTV battery will void your warranty and may damage your JTV.

This also applies to the Variax Standard.

From the Line 6 Knowledge Base FAQ,...

Battery

Q: What kind of battery is used in the James Tyler Variax and what is the battery life?

A: JTV guitars use a lithium-ion battery similar to that of a camcorder. A fully charged battery can deliver at least 12 hours of continuous performance. There is a four light battery life indicator on the battery compartment on the back of the JTV guitars that can be viewed by pressing the round flush black button next to the lights.

4 LEDs = 9+ hours

3 LEDs = 6+ hours

2 LEDs = 3+ hours

1 LED = less than 3 hours

1 LED blinking = less than 1 hour, recharge battery

Note: Using a non-Line 6 JTV battery will void your warranty and may damage your JTV.

This also applies to the Variax Standard.

Can these batteries be used for legacy model variaxes?

No. Those older ones are +9Vdc system.

See the manual regarding the options on those.

JTV and Variax Standard batteries won't fit in the compartment.

Old stuff is not interchangeable with the newer JTV's and Standard,

it's a whole other system, a different beast. 

Reply from L6 confirms only L6 batteries and cables must b used. Voids warranty if u don't. As for "new laws" compelling exclusivity, I don't buy it. I've got Sony, JVC, Canon, etc. pro cameras custing $20K+ and even generic batteries are fully compatible. Never liked paying $20 for a Stadium beer and hotdog. But if I'm at the game and I'm hungry... well enough said. A minor disincentive. Just gonna budget $100 for a couple batteries. Do competitive products force their batteries and cables too? Curious. Otherwise, I love the guitar.

This isn't stadium beer and a dog. And it's not just L6, most gear is

design that way for reasons I explained earlier. Has nothing to do with

marketing or exclusivity, it has to do with keeping your gear intact and

functioning well.

That's why I'm here, to keep your gear off my repair bench.

Got it. And I will not test your reply. Love the Variac too much to risk anything. All my L6 gear works impeccably well, year after year. So L6 quality is without question. Pricing for adding a battery chip or diode seems high, nearly double that of comparable Batts for pro video cams WITH proprietary chips that are cross platform compatible. Would also been better to allow generic RJ45 Lan cabling that's available everywhere, should something arise, accidental damage, etc. When on tour, remote jobs, immediate solutions are needed. And next day Fed-X of a L6 cable from GC or Sweetwater rests on them having your cable in stock. I already tried to buy both batt abd cable at my local GC and they won't stock it. Hence my concern is immediate and long term availability of proprietary ONLY parts. We've all had that problem before, and are in a better place when we know we have a reliable supply of essential components to L6 instruments which are otherwise built to last a lifetime. I Bragg heavily about my L6 gear all the time. Just don't liking limitations or pricing in this case. Also stirs hesitation going Fwd when considering newly introduced products. Hope ur engineers can factor my concerns. I've read forums and I'm alone in my view. Thx again. Your support us A1 always and I remain a loyal L6 customer. Thx Bob

Typo... meant to say "I'm NOT alone in my concerns". Also would a little reassuring if dealers are required to stock such important/essential parts ongoing. Is every buyer of an L6 product required to buy backup batteries and cables? Safe to say, the Variax guitars will outlast both otherwise. Hope u take my comments constructively. Not intended any other way. In my opinion, these are the only 2 glitches in an otherwise incredible product.

Back up battery,... if you want.

VDI cable is a must. Too many time a guitar comes back with a regular CAT5 cable.

Without the XLR type casing, there can be jiggling to the point of indeterminacy. And

to a supply line, transient like that are bad.

The they try force it, bent pins occur in the VDI jack, then the real bad stuff happens,...

it ends up on my bend for repairs. So using the VDI cable with XLR casings on both sides

(not the interface cable) is a good thing.

I know all these things because I've worked on hundreds of JTV's (roughly 740+ at last count),

so I've seen all the things that can go wrong with them,... and then some.