Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just bought and registered my 1st Variax Standard, downloaded WOrkbench HD, and was able to connect.  On 1st connection, WB-HD downloaded presets from the guitar, and I saved that bundle under a new name. However, it is my understanding that WB-HD has a new "improved" default preset bundle.  How can I tell which bundle I have in my Variax?  And if not the most current bundle, where can I get it and upload it to my guitar? appreciate any help. 

Just bought and registered my 1st Variax Standard, downloaded WOrkbench HD, and was able to connect. On 1st connection, WB-HD downloaded presets from the guitar, and I saved that bundle under a new name. However, it is my understanding that WB-HD has a new "improved" default preset bundle. How can I tell which bundle I have in my Variax? And if not the most current bundle, where can I get it and upload it to my guitar? appreciate any help.

Afaik, the only time the Workbench software ever contained any updates for the guitars themselves was when they made available models of the hotter mag pickups on the JTV89 for use in the other JTV guitars. The preset bundles are really just the raw, unedited guitar models. Updates for those come via new versions of the Variax firmware. Workbench

is universal, and has no idea which Variax you've got until you plug it in. That's why it downloads whatever is on the guitar as a first step. Until it knows what it's dealing with, there's nothing to edit. Variax firmware updates do sometimes contain entirely new guitar models, but there hasn't been a "big" update like that in quite a while.

Load Monkey and  connect.  It will tell you what FW version you have and you use that to load new FW when it is available.  You can find out from the Line6 website what FW is available for your Variax STD.  Not sure if there has been any FW update since the standard came out so there may not be any.