Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 randomly cuts out

bcowie

Every now and then my HD500 just cuts out ... no volume anywhere. It's rare and very random, so I can't figure out how to reproduce it. It just happens.

It happened when I was playing today. Everything was working in soundcheck, including all the patches I was using. In the middle of the set I switched patches for the next song and ... nothing! Everything was on but ... nothing. I tried some other patches ... nothing. (and the band just played on). Just before the second verse started, the sound came back. I wasn't doing anything but toggling back and forth between patches and randomly the sound came back (fortunately I had turned my volume down so it wasn't a sonic disaster). After that, everything worked fine for the rest of the set.

This has happened three or four times over this past year (since I've owned the unit). It has never happened with my other (Boss GT) mfx unit ... ever, so I'm pretty sure it's the Pod.

Any suggestions?

Every now and then my HD500 just cuts out ... no volume anywhere. It's rare and very random, so I can't figure out how to reproduce it. It just happens.

It happened when I was playing today. Everything was working in soundcheck, including all the patches I was using. In the middle of the set I switched patches for the next song and ... nothing! Everything was on but ... nothing. I tried some other patches ... nothing. (and the band just played on). Just before the second verse started, the sound came back. I wasn't doing anything but toggling back and forth between patches and randomly the sound came back (fortunately I had turned my volume down so it wasn't a sonic disaster). After that, everything worked fine for the rest of the set.

This has happened three or four times over this past year (since I've owned the unit). It has never happened with my other (Boss GT) mfx unit ... ever, so I'm pretty sure it's the Pod.

Any suggestions?

I'd guess it's the POD too, being as complicated a unit as it is, but there's a million other things to troubleshoot. You didn't mention the rest of your rig, so it's hard to guess, but could be:

1) A cable on its way to crapping out

2) Has it always happened with the same guitar? If so, a loose solder joint on 1/4" jack, or a dirty toggle switch with an intermittent connection issue maybe?

I just went direct XLR - to - PA, plus a 1/4" out to a Carvin AG100D as a monitor.

This has happened at home too, where I just go into the same Carvin amp.

I always use the same guitar and (almost always) the same cable. As I said, I have never had this happen with my Boss GT-10 unit (which I set up exactly the same), but it's happened a few times with the POD - mostly at home (this was the 1st time I've played out with the POD). There were no hints of trouble during any of the practices or the sound check, or even through the first half of the set. It was sudden, lasted about 30 seconds, and then everything worked fine after that.

I might have to send it in for service. My fear is that since it happens so infrequently, it won't happen when they test it ;)

But it makes me very hesitant to play out with it again.

I might have to send it in for service. My fear is that since it happens so infrequently, it won't happen when they test it ;)

But it makes me very hesitant to play out with it again.

Yeah...I sympathize with ya. But sending it in for service is likely a waste of time. They're just gonna tell you they can't reproduce the problem. As much as I love this stuff, the complexity is sometimes it's Achilles heel. "The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to clog the drain" -Capt. Montgomery Scott ;)

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be a problem with your switches. 

My 500HDx does this and it turned out to be the switching itself on to tuner which mutes the sound.  I fixed it once by stripping it down and spraying the switches with cleaner and it worked for about 6 months and now it's doing it again so it's back to my old analogue pedals for tonight's gig and I think the HD500 might have to go because it's just not reliable enough.  When you're being paid to play you can't have stuff that's gonna let you down regularly.

Next time yours does it look to see if it's gone to the tuner, if it has then its a switch problem and switch or switches will need to be replaced.

• 1 year later...

Similar issue. Playing through headphones the pedal was fine. Playing live the volume is cutting in and out terribly. Seems to be triggered by the expression pedal. I have tried XLR out L/R, Line out and headphone jack out. This is a disaster. I purchased new on Amazon. Will Line6 fix on a warranty?