Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Remove Vol/Tone Pots To Get Rid Of The Plastic

Hi all,

Just purchased a JTV69, arrived today.

How do you remove the volume/tone pots to get rid of the plastic they placed on the scratch plate?  Some people have said use spoons, but I don't know what they mean to pry them off...

Also, in searching I've just read of a fair few issues re the model knob needing to be superglued, a toothpick or cardboard being placed inside to set it higher if it loses contact.  Worrying!  Were all these issues fixed in later production runs?  I don't particularly know how new my guitar is in that vain though purchase new from gear4music in the UK.

Thanks, looking to test it out over the weekend.

Ash

If you are not handy with tools, just lift it from edges and work your as close to the control shafts as possible, then pull laterally away from the shaft.  It should tear far enough under the knob to be invisible.  Otherwise, pry up the knobs (a pair of spoons should work if careful), loosen the nut a turn or so with long nose pliers and peel out from underneath.

There wasn't a hole around the pots, the plastic is stuck under there.  I need to remove them to get it all out.  I don't know what is meant by use spoons...  Can someone kindly explain "how to get the pots off"?

There's also a slight black mark, a dot, on the scratch plate (pick guard) and the 5-way selector switch is scuffed, as if I've had it for a while and been heavy handed. :(

The plastic should come off without removing anything.  Just pull it from around the pots.

On my '69 the shaft nuts on the volume and tone pots were fastened over the plastic.  You can tear it away as I described above, but to remove all of it does require loosening the nut.

There wasn't a hole around the pots, the plastic is stuck under there.  I need to remove them to get it all out.  I don't know what is meant by use spoons...  Can someone kindly explain "how to get the pots off"?

There's also a slight black mark, a dot, on the scratch plate (pick guard) and the 5-way selector switch is scuffed, as if I've had it for a while and been heavy handed. :(

You use a pair of spoons with the curved side down as levers to pry the knob straight outwards from the guitar.  If you have any doubts at all about the process, please don't try it yourself.  A guitar tech should be able to do this in less than 2 minutes. 

Sorted it...!  ;)

Thanks everyone!

Any comment on the issues with the model knob, and I guess I should and will check through the threads but are there people sharing (and can you share) modelled workbench presets?  I'm hoping there is a model of the Brian May Red Special with Tri-sonic pickups available...

Cheers,

Ash 

• 3 years later...