Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How many of you regularly tweek Global EQ to suit a particular room?

Graemey

Tonight is my first gig using my Helix paired with a new L2t as my on-stage monitor.

Over the years I've always had a little tweek of my amp controls to suit the room's acoustics when sound checking for the gig.

Is that something you would normally address with the global EQ, or can I usually expect to plug in and go?

Obviously I would expect the FOH sound guy to fine tune my guitar sound to suit the room.

I agree with the consensus here.  Global EQ has been far more useful adapting to a set of FRFR speakers than adjusting to room acoustics.  Chances are if the room acoustics are having that large an effect on the the sound of your guitar, you'd never know it from on-stage anyway.  You will, however, know when all of your patches have too much bass or treble when played through a given FRFR speaker because of it's response profile.  Chances are, if you're working with a decent front of house system and a decent FRFR speaker as your monitor, the front of house is likely to have the same response profile, or close to, your FRFR speaker.  So adjusting my Global EQ to compensate makes patch construction much simpler and FAR more consistent.

Any FOH PA will have its own EQ and that't the best and most convenient and consistent place to touch up FOH tones. Digital PAs make it easy to save settings for common situations as patches.

For Helix into a FRFR, many of those have digital inputs these days and their own EQ. For example, I use a JBL EON610 as my monitor and can use its EQ through a mobile app and Bluetooth to adjust the tone of the speaker. What's nice about this is that the adjustment for that speaker stays with the speaker, not in Helix. So it has no impact on Helix use with a different configuration.

Personally I'd like to see the global EQ be configurable for global or patch. I might find it more useful as a very flexible EQ in a patch that doesn't take up a block.