Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Doesn't support their OWN expression pedal properly

mkaylor

To reverse the pedal can't you just reverse the min/max settings on the controller?

So for example for a Wah, long press the Position Knob then change Min to 100% and max to 0%.

yes, but then you have to re-program all your patches when/if you update your pedal. I have one pedal that works backwards on helix. I'm just not using it (but I have 4 of those things lying around, too...)

I'm surprised the Roland doesn't work. It worked awesome for me with my M13 and also, iirc, with my HD 500.

yes, but then you have to re-program all your patches when/if you update your pedal. I have one pedal that works backwards on helix. I'm just not using it (but I have 4 of those things lying around, too...)

I'm surprised the Roland doesn't work. It worked awesome for me with my M13 and also, iirc, with my HD 500.

Different pedals have different polarity, some have a switch to change the polarity. If you use a pedal on a device that expects a certain polarity and the polarity of the pedal is reversed then the effect of the pedal will be reversed.

The helix allows you to reverse the polarity using min and max, I don't really see how Line 6 could have made the Helix magically understand what polarity the pedal is!

I would love to see the ability to assign a global polarity in Helix and set a pot value and sweep for the expression pedal, instead of fixed at 10k to 12k linear pot.

But with all that Helix is, especially for the price, im not complaining.

Can i please address the answer to the topic by the Line 6 Staff member,

can you please tell me then what is different about the Line 6 EX-1 to the Roland EV-5??? 

Is the wiring different or is it to do with a Mono or TRS cable??

Thanks

Can i please address the answer to the topic by the Line 6 Staff member,

can you please tell me then what is different about the Line 6 EX-1 to the Roland EV-5??? 

Is the wiring different or is it to do with a Mono or TRS cable??

Thanks

Both the wiring and use of a TS cable are different as follows...

EV5-L6.jpg

I hope this helps

Seeya

Joe

Our OWN expression pedal is the Line 6 EX-1. It's obviously fully supported.

...and works quite well.  I already had one, and after dicking around with an EV-5 I also have (actually lots of them...) I ordered another.

Are they "high end" pedals?  No - kinda lightweight and a tad cheesy.  But I've had the one for years (no changes in the new one) and it's still working just fine, and the Helix sees the correct throw, I get a nice volume taper from it.

Price-to-performance they're just fine....

Ric

Are you not also Yamaha?  It's obviously NOT fully supported.

No. Steinberg, Nexo, and Bösendorfer, while also wholly-owned subsidiaries, are operated completely independently, and are also not Yamaha.

DI, I hope that you guys are building functionality into your products that works with accessories from whatever company is hoping to buy Line 6 from Yamaha in 5 years... (see what i did there...?)

• Upvote 1

Besides that, IIRC the FC 7 uses a "stereo TRS" plug, and so it wouldn't work anyway.

Works fine,  seems smooth and fluid,  just backwards.  Didn't realize this would be such an up in arms topic.  I happen to like the FC 7, it's heavy, cheap, and works really well to be made of thick plastic.  I really don't want to throw it away because it's backwards,  guess it's time to cut the plug off it and rewire!

Works fine,  seems smooth and fluid,  just backwards.  Didn't realize this would be such an up in arms topic.  I happen to like the FC 7, it's heavy, cheap, and works really well to be made of thick plastic.  I really don't want to throw it away because it's backwards,  guess it's time to cut the plug off it and rewire!

Korg's EXP2 is similar in function, so I tried a couple different wire combinations to use it better with Helix, and they didn't work, so I am doubting you will be successful. It's evidently not that simple.

http://missionengineering.com/

Wiring.
Most potentiometers have three connectors; Clockwise, Counter-clockwise, and Wiper. Amazingly, there are multiple different ways these can be wired, all achieving largely the same result, which means yet more variations for expression pedals. The most common expression pedal wiring is to connect the pot to a 1/4″ stereo (TRS) instrument jack as follows:

CW —— Sleeve
Wiper — Tip
CCW —– Ring

An alternative is with the tip and the ring reversed as follows:

CW —— Sleeve
Wiper — Ring
CCW —– Tip

Yet a third way is as follows:

CW —— Sleeve
Wiper — Tip
CCW —– Tip

In this last one, the wiper and CCW are bonded together and connected to the tip and the ring is unused. This requires the use of a mono (TS) cable such as a regular guitar cable, in place of the stereo (TRS) cable used in the other two. These three are the most common that we see in expression pedals, but we keep finding more. Sometimes a dual gang potentiometer is wired in parallel to create a single pot with half the resistance. For example you may see a dual 20K Ohm potentiometer bridged into a single 10K. In this case the pedal will function the same as if it were a native 10K Ohm single pot.

OK so now we know we can do this:

This also alleviated the backwards operation problem and the 0 - 100 - 0 problem...

The third way is the Line 6 way. (after some google searches I found this out)

which means after the conversion you don't need to use TRS cables anymore you can use TS cables. Also now with either the 12k ohm pot in the one and the 10k ohm pot in the other I get full 0% to 100% on the Helix control.

here is what I did to make mine compatible so there would be no need for re configuring. the Potenteiometer on this 1 is 10k

gcmission1.jpg

Here is before

gcmission2.jpg

here is after... so just moving 1 wire (the green/ring) and put it together with the (red/Tip) and the (black/sleeve) stays the same.

also I jumped out the black on the side pot that is for changing the "throw" of it to disable it and not doing it made it have issues when you adjusted it it would not go back to full throw. (If that makes any scents to you)

gcmission.jpg

My other one

missionEPEV1.jpg

here is after... so just moving 1 wire (the green/ring) and put it together with the (red/Tip) and the (black/sleeve) stays the same.

missionEPEV.jpg

this model had a duel 24k pot and I soldered each connection 1,2 and 3 to 1,2 and 3 (you see it better in the picture above) making it a single 12k pot

missionEPEV2.jpg

This can be done with a soldering iron with no extra solder. just heat up the green wire pull it off and put it on with the red and heat it up to connect it. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am re-posting this from another thread on the same thing

ALSO:

from yet another post....

Really you could take an old crybaby or Vox waH and just rewire it and it would work the same.

Here is one new:
http://www.guitarcen...ffects-Pedal.gc

Most wah wahs have a 100k or a 250K potentiometer, most expression pedal seem to have something around 10k to 25K, after doing a little research there is some folks that said they have used 250 K pot and rewired a Wawa pedal to work as an expression pedal and it worked fine or you can just buy a new potentiometer (thank sure it is linear and not audio taper or logarithmic) for an expression pedal and put it in if you have to but I would try to go ahead and wire it up first according to the way that I have explained above. 

Remember you don't have to worry about getting tip ring sleeve input jacks just tip sleeve is all you need and is what is already on a Wawa pedal 

• Upvote 1

Our OWN expression pedal is the Line 6 EX-1. It's obviously fully supported.

I did want to add something here. I keep seeing on various boards that Helix does not support Mission Engineering pedals. That it hogwash. The Mission Engineering pedal designed for Line 6 products (the one that says Line 6 on it) works fantastic. You have to have the right ME pedal.

http://missionengineering.com/

Wiring.

Most potentiometers have three connectors; Clockwise, Counter-clockwise, and Wiper. Amazingly, there are multiple different ways these can be wired, all achieving largely the same result, which means yet more variations for expression pedals. The most common expression pedal wiring is to connect the pot to a 1/4″ stereo (TRS) instrument jack as follows:

CW —— SleeveWiper — TipCCW —– Ring

An alternative is with the tip and the ring reversed as follows:

CW —— SleeveWiper — RingCCW —– Tip

Yet a third way is as follows:

CW —— SleeveWiper — TipCCW —– Tip

In this last one, the wiper and CCW are bonded together and connected to the tip and the ring is unused. This requires the use of a mono (TS) cable such as a regular guitar cable, in place of the stereo (TRS) cable used in the other two. These three are the most common that we see in expression pedals, but we keep finding more. Sometimes a dual gang potentiometer is wired in parallel to create a single pot with half the resistance. For example you may see a dual 20K Ohm potentiometer bridged into a single 10K. In this case the pedal will function the same as if it were a native 10K Ohm single pot.

OK so now we know we can do this:

This also alleviated the backwards operation problem and the 0 - 100 - 0 problem...

The third way is the Line 6 way. (after some google searches I found this out)

which means after the conversion you don't need to use TRS cables anymore you can use TS cables. Also now with either the 12k ohm pot in the one and the 10k ohm pot in the other I get full 0% to 100% on the Helix control.

here is what I did to make mine compatible so there would be no need for re configuring. the Potenteiometer on this 1 is 10k

gcmission1.jpg

Here is before

gcmission2.jpg

also I jumped out the black on the side pot that is for changing the "throw" of it to disable it and not doing it made it have issues when you adjusted it it would not go back to full throw. (If that makes any scents to you)

gcmission.jpg

My other one

missionEPEV1.jpg

missionEPEV.jpg

this model had a duel 24k pot and I soldered each connection 1,2 and 3 to 1,2 and 3 (you see it better in the picture above) making it a single 12k pot

missionEPEV2.jpg

This can be done with a soldering iron with no extra solder. just heat up the green wire pull it off and put it on with the red and heat it up to connect it. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am re-posting this from another thread on the same thing

ALSO:

from yet another post....

Really you could take an old crybaby or Vox waH and just rewire it and it would work the same.Here is one new:http://www.guitarcen...ffects-Pedal.gcMost wah wahs have a 100k or a 250K potentiometer, most expression pedal seem to have something around 10k to 25K, after doing a little research there is some folks that said they have used 250 K pot and rewired a Wawa pedal to work as an expression pedal and it worked fine or you can just buy a new potentiometer (thank sure it is linear and not audio taper or logarithmic) for an expression pedal and put it in if you have to but I would try to go ahead and wire it up first according to the way that I have explained above. Remember you don't have to worry about getting tip ring sleeve input jacks just tip sleeve is all you need and is what is already on a Wawa pedal 

Great info man. Thanks.