Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Owner Very Frustrated

cmk6234

I'm hoping that the issues I'm having with my new Firehawk are just a reflection of my tech ignorance.  I bought the Firehawk because I wanted something very simple and intuitive.  After two days I have not been able to get it to function at all.  

When I turn it on all 4 of the A through D buttons are blinking red.  I cannot select any preset and the up and down bank buttons seem useless.  I was assuming that you could use presets without using the remote app.  However, that doesn't seem to be the case with mine.  I bought the unit partly because of the remote app so I downloaded the app and paired it to the unit.  The app says please update device--it's annoying that a new purchase must be updated immediately but oh well.  I connected my unit to my computer and opened the app again.  This time I go the spinning wheel.  After several minutes I get a message that the device timed out.

As I sit here with the unit connected to my computer, all 4 red lights continue to blink, the app appears to be frozen and the unit is useless.  It is highly possible that I am just a technical idiot but this seems ridiculous for what is touted as an easy to use/intuitive device.  Any suggestions to get this thing up and running would be appreciated.  At this rate, the unit is on its way back to guitar center soon.    

OK first off, your experience seems out of the ordinary , upon initial power up you should have been presented with bank 1 patch 1a and have been able to play and switch patches , bank up, bank down as you'd probably expect , so you definitely have a problem there, if the unit was meant to be brand new I'd probably return it as you have no idea what's caused the issue and it's possible that even if you get it working it could be a problem that might return later down the line

That being said it's always worth doing a factory reset and reinstalling the firmware, you can find the instructions on this site

You will need to download the line 6 updater for the firehawk and perform the update through a pc or laptop

Don't be tempted to do it through the app even if you get it working as it can take hours to do it over bluetooth

Copied from the manual;

Factory Reset & Pedal Calibration

Performing a Factory Reset restores the Firehawk FX to the original

factory settings and Presets. Be sure to use the Firehawk Remote app

to back up your customized Presets before performing a Factory

Reset! After performing a Factory Reset, it is recommended that you

next perform the Pedal Calibration for proper Pedal operation.

• Factory Reset: Simultaneously press and hold the Master Volume

Knob and the TAP footswitch as you power on the unit.

Thanks Mcbeddall. It sounds like I got a lemon. I had very high hopes for the firehawk but I'm afraid this is going back to guitar center. I'm now wondering if I should look at a boss gt-100.

I did try downloading the updater but got an error message on my Mac computer. I would have thought this product would play well with Apple products but it seems like a total mismatch. Very annoying to have to make the trip back to guitar center.

After nearly giving up on the firehawk I gave it one last try and finally got the firmware to update. The unit is now working as advertised. So far I'm pleased with the tones and functionality of the app. My initial experience was frustrating but I'm glad I stuck with it.