Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suggestions On Buying Equipment! :d

genaearon

Well, I have a ibanez gio and had a pod hd 400 but it got screwed!
No other pedals, or amp what so ever, i have a marshall 15w with reverb.

My dad is travelling to USA so he's bringing me a musicman JP12 7string which I always dreamed of.
Now I have to get a new effects processor, Axe fx is out of reach... so I don't know if going for the POD HD 500X, and maybe some other pedals like a dunlop wah wah, and a ernie ball volume pedal. My budget is 1k... so 500 would go to the pod...

Have any suggestions? I play progressive metal (dream theater, circus maximus, symphony X, between the buried and me, opeth and all that crap)

If you have the patience to work with the Pod and the rest of your gear, then go with the 500x.

It has all you need and then some, but it is a challenge at times to get the sounds you may want.

Its not perfect, but none of them are yet...

If you expect miracles within minutes Id stay with pedals...

My 2 cents

Are you playing out at shows, or just at home? Spend $400 on a regular pod hd500 and spend the rest on a decent low wattage tube amp such as Bugera V55 since it has an fx loop, is less than $500 and has enough wattage to play out if you need to. It also has a pentode/triode switch to drop wattage for quieter playing. There are plenty of other amps to choose from, this is just one suggestion. Unless you are crafting elaborate studio tones, you don't NEED the extra DSP. I'd save the $100 and maybe buy some pedals with it. Good luck!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bugera V55 since it has an fx loop, is less than $500 and has enough wattage to play out if you need to. It also has a pentode/triode switch to drop wattage for quieter playing. 

55 watts is enough to play stadiums, they just mic. it up and the sound comes out of the PA.

Sounds like a great amp, my guess is even with the pentode/triode switch it'd still be quite loud for bedroom playing?

s

55 watts is enough to play stadiums, they just mic. it up and the sound comes out of the PA.

Sounds like a great amp, my guess is even with the pentode/triode switch it'd still be quite loud for bedroom playing?

s

With a master volume and 4cm it can be quiet enough or loud enough. I'm just giving an idea that will allow him to stay within budget and fit any need he might have for future rock gigs. That's a lot of tube watts for not a lot of money.