Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there any guitar maintenance that could void warranty?

When we get a guitar, one of the things you have to do is maintain your guitar.

What are things acceptable and unacceptable through the guitar's warranty?

here are some examples:

-basic setup from like a luthier (action, truss rod, tremolo block)

-messing with basic hardware (temporary removing knobs, unscrewing parts for access to setup)

-fret work

-maintaining satin neck (what if I want to sand the neck to maintain a satin neck?)

-installing additional hardware to the guitar (MIDI pickup devices)

-decals or stickers

General rule of thumb, is that if it alters the functionality of the guitar,

it will affect the warranty.

You're pretty safe with decals, Fishman gadgets and such are not a problem,

so long as it doesn't interfere with the normal function of the guitar.

Pulling up a knob to get to a retainer nut,... just be careful if you don't know

what's underneath.

Don't mess with the electronics. Too many think they know what they are doing,

get in over their heads, and then end up sending me their guitar. I hate having

to work on it if it's for something preventable, like someone not heeding my warnings.

I'll have to get back to you on the particulars of some of the other stuff, but I

thought I'd give a general overall rule of thumb to start with. 

• Upvote 1

General rule of thumb, is that if it alters the functionality of the guitar,

it will affect the warranty.

You're pretty safe with decals, Fishman gadgets and such are not a problem,

so long as it doesn't interfere with the normal function of the guitar.

Pulling up a knob to get to a retainer nut,... just be careful if you don't know

what's underneath.

Don't mess with the electronics. Too many think they know what they are doing,

get in over their heads, and then end up sending me their guitar. I hate having

to work on it if it's for something preventable, like someone not heeding my warnings.

I'll have to get back to you on the particulars of some of the other stuff, but I

thought I'd give a general overall rule of thumb to start with. 

So on those you mentioned, those are absolute?

What about advanced guitar maintenance? Is this something that absolutely needs to be done by a Line 6 person?

I'm not talking about messing with the electronics, but any other hardware which may need to be maintained just like any other guitar if it wears down or gets misadjusted.

"What about advanced guitar maintenance? Is this something that absolutely needs to be done by a Line 6 person?

I'm not talking about messing with the electronics, but any other hardware which may need to be maintained just like

any other guitar if it wears down or gets misadjusted"---  

Check with Line 6 support. don't mess with the electronics, advanced repairs "typically" are something to be done

by a Line 6 authorized person who knows the product. Some things should not be left to just anyone. Like I said before,

if it goes to the functionality of the guitar, leave it us or your local Line 6 authorized service in your area.

This is not our fathers Gibson Archtop with passive electronics, this is a different beast with active electronics
that should not be messed with.

I'm here on this Forum to keep your gear from ending up on my repair bench.

Oh, what about strap locks and taking off the strap buttons?

For God's sake, it's your guitar. Change the strap buttons if you want to...and should it need a warranty repair, put the old ones back on. No one will ever know the difference if you quit advertising that you did it...

He doesn't have to go that far. I work on guitars with other strap locks all the time,

not a big deal.

All I said was,...  just don't short the circuits when you put them on. I see too much of that.

Clay-man is a sharp guy, I expect he won't be a problem in that regard.

He doesn't have to go that far. I work on guitars with other strap locks all the time,

not a big deal.

All I said was,...  just don't short the circuits when you put them on. I see too much of that.

Clay-man is a sharp guy, I expect he won't be a problem in that regard.

In what regards could you possibly short the circuit when replacing strap buttons? Static electricity?

For God's sake, it's your guitar. Change the strap buttons if you want to...and should it need a warranty repair, put the old ones back on. No one will ever know the difference if you quit advertising that you did it...

I never did it, which is why I'm asking how picky they are. Why is that so bad? I want to know the line of what I can do with my guitar without it being warranty-voiding alterations.

I already have some minor problems with my guitar so it would be nice if I can know what to not do with my guitar while I still have the warranty.

In what regards could you possibly short the circuit when replacing strap buttons? Static electricity?--- from clay-man

No, people who use too long of hardware and and bore into the boards and blow them. You're smarter than

that, so I have no concerns about you doing that.

In general, don't alter the functionality. There is one guy who uses fake inlay decals on his fret-board, another used a

string tree,.... function wasn't altered, resonances were maintained.

Different gauge strings, no problem. But since the tension is altered, it's good to take it to a L6 authorized service,

since they will have set-up info and procedures. That has to be done right since there is interactions between components,

so there are variables that have to be considered that are not dealt with, with normal passive electronics guitars.

It's not voodoo or secret sauce, it's extra things that come into play, that if not done right, have proven in the past

to just make things worse. 

• Upvote 1

No switching string gauge without sanctioned intervention from an "authorized service center"...right. Because the month that you'll be waiting to get the guitar back is really necessary. Time and money well spent. Unreal.

Toe the line folks. Toe the line...

• Upvote 1

In what regards could you possibly short the circuit when replacing strap buttons? Static electricity?

I never did it, which is why I'm asking how picky they are. Why is that so bad? I want to know the line of what I can do with my guitar without it being warranty-voiding alterations.

The "line" will never be reasonably defined because it's not in their best interest to do so. They will just continue to warn of the dangers of failing to go to an "authorized service center"...no matter how simple or mundane the issue. This will never end. Want a set of 9's on it instead? Well now you need an appointment...and maybe FedEx, depending on your proximity to the place. Boggles the mind. What should cost $5 for strings, and a half hour of your time, is now days to weeks, plus shipping costs for some folks. It's the musical equivalent of taking your car back to the dealer for a $75 oil change.

Don't cut it in half with a hack saw. That'll be hard to hide. Don't run it over with a truck. Other than that, have at it. It's yours. You bought it. Want different strap buttons? Go bananas...no one cares, and no one will ever know. If you're still losing sleep over it, save the old ones. Put them back on in the highly unlikely event that you ever need to camouflage your "alteration"...if you can even call it that.

You're obsessing over nothing. I had a new neck on mine after about six weeks...the sun was still there the next morning. Only required turning 2 more screws than a strap button job (I did that too), and just as easy to undo if the Warranty Police show up with a warrant.

Then came the pick guard. Bunch of screws that time. It was touch and go...almost called for backup on that one. ;)

The "line" will never be reasonably defined because it's not in their best interest to do so. They will just continue to warn of the dangers of failing to go to an "authorized service center"...no matter how simple or mundane the issue. This will never end. Want a set of 9's on it instead? Well now you need an appointment...and maybe FedEx, depending on your proximity to the place. Boggles the mind. What should cost $5 for strings, and a half hour of your time, is now days to weeks, plus shipping costs for some folks. It's the musical equivalent of taking your car back to the dealer for a $75 oil change.

Don't cut it in half with a hack saw. That'll be hard to hide. Don't run it over with a truck. Other than that, have at it. It's yours. You bought it. Want different strap buttons? Go bananas...no one cares, and no one will ever know. If you're still losing sleep over it, save the old ones. Put them back on in the highly unlikely event that you ever need to camouflage your "alteration"...if you can even call it that.

You're obsessing over nothing. I had a new neck on mine after about six weeks...the sun was still there the next morning. Only required turning 2 more screws than a strap button job (I did that too), and just as easy to undo if the Warranty Police show up with a warrant.

Then came the pick guard. Bunch of screws that time. It was touch and go...almost called for backup on that one. ;)

Thanks Cruisinon. I shouldn't probably overthink it, and just don't do things that are pretty obvious and bad.

I mean, in the long run, if I really need to fix something in the future, it'll probably be more affordable than I think when my warranty ends.

I still need to send it in to get the VDI door replaced (It just broke off randomly one day) and probably need the model pot replaced (glitches every once in a blue moon though simply turning the variax on and off makes the problem go away).

I just like to be able to have something to fall back on while still doing what I want to do with MY guitar.

In what regards could you possibly short the circuit when replacing strap buttons? Static electricity?--- from clay-man

No, people who use too long of hardware and and bore into the boards and blow them. You're smarter than

that, so I have no concerns about you doing that.

I

Just to "prove" psarkissians point, I opened my JTV-69 today - it has strap buttons from Dunlop I think (I did not mount them) 

As you can see int the pictures, if you dont have a clue what you are doing you can do pretty much damage - this screw is pretty close to the mainboard. 

picture

• Upvote 1

Just to "prove" psarkissians point, I opened my JTV-69 today - it has strap buttons from Dunlop I think (I did not mount them) 

As you can see int the pictures, if you dont have a clue what you are doing you can do pretty much damage - this screw is pretty close to the mainboard. 

picture

Holy crap no kidding. I'll be sure to measure the screws when installing. Perhaps I can just use the original button's screws instead. 

DING DING DING!!!!

Just because the strap buttons come with their own screws, doesn't mean you have to use them...I won't tell Dunlop.

But then I'll loose the warranty on the straplocks from them then?  :D

20 bucks versus 1 grand.

small pieces of metal vs a guitar with a computer inside of it which can have problems.

It was a joke, in retrospect of the discussion of psarkissian and yourself. But I'll butt out of the discussion now  :rolleyes:

(BTW, I have a US model so its more than 1 grand) 

It was a joke, in retrospect of the discussion of psarkissian and yourself. But I'll butt out of the discussion now  :rolleyes:

(BTW, I have a US model so its more than 1 grand) 

I know, but you know, I just want to know what I can do with my guitar.

As for having a US model, that's even worse. I wouldn't even want to deal with shipping the guitar in the first place just to get it repaired.

I personally wouldn't ever get a US model just because of the slight higher chance of the guitar's functionality failing compared to a normal guitar,

though in the long run, people just assume that, and a Variax could maybe last many decades, and most of the problemed Variax guitars come up with problems right away for being defectives out of the factory.