Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Custom Tones for Worship/contemporary Christian

dhewer

Hello Group....

This is directed more to the users of POD HD500X CustomTones that are downloading my tones for Worship, Inspirational, Contemporary Christian music.

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/dhewer

1.) Feedback? Any constructive criticism on a general level?

2.) What type(s) of guitar are you using?

3.) Are these tones beneficial to you?

Hope to hear from you guys.

Thank you.

DHewer

• Thanks 1

I'll check them out and pass on to a friend who just got his 500x.  I have the vintage and metal packs but if yours don't require that it will be useful to him.   Lately I've been doing main dual amp/dual cab patches.  I put a couple up today for that friend.  Nothing polished but it shows the basic template I follow.

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/Indianrock2020

• Upvote 1

I took a look at the first patch in HDEdit but haven't tried to listen yet.  This was the Come Alive patch.  These comments just show how I've been doing things differently and is in no way a criticism or suggestion that my approach is better.   I'm usually using a Fender strat with lower output Gold lace sensor pickups.

Differences noticed in the Come Alive patch:

Noise gate threshold not at default 50%
Bass boost on tube drive
Hall mix much higher than my 15%
Delay: I don't use tap tempo, preferring to create a patch for each song with tempo hard-coded.  Normally very low feedback.
Amp parameters --  I've been setting bass very low, based on suggestions on this forum -- the goal being to have a tone thats cuts through in a band mix.
Cab parameters I use are similar except my low cut is more like 9 o'clock

My normal effects order is:  noise gate, compressor, overdrive of some kind, parametric which may be activated by same switch as the overdrive, amp ( lately all dual amp/dual cab ), delay, reverb, volume pedal.

Delay: I don't use tap tempo, preferring to create a patch for each song with tempo hard-coded. Normally very low feedback.

Does your drummer play to a click track? If not, fixed delay times can ugly if it's a U2-ish kinda tune that relies on the repeat landing at a specific time.

Drummers, being the...ahem..."fallible" creatures that they are. ;)

Yes they do use a click track.  Sometimes they'll decide on a BPM beats per minute at rehearsal, than vary from that on Sunday, but I protest enough to keep that to a minimum.  The problem with tap tempo is when you go from song to song immediately and you have a part that starts the next song.  Of course punching in the next patch takes a few seconds too.

It would  be tempting to tell the leader, either give us a few seconds between songs, or expect the guitar to sound the same throughout.

• Upvote 1

This is great. I appreciate the feedback. I appreciate the collaboration.

I will try these options and see if they improve the tone.

Thank you indianrock2020.

Anymore users please chime in.

Cheers.

I'd check them out but as has been noted here many times, because of the wide array of ways people setup their systems as well as the type of guitars they use, you can't really go on much in terms of feedback unless just by chance they're using the same kind of setup and guitar/pickups as you are.

To me CustomTone is more of an educational tool than a tool I'd turn to for getting patches.  I find I'm better off just starting from scratch and building my own to match my setup and which guitar I'll be using for that particular patch.

However if I get some time maybe next week I'll try to download a couple and look through your parameters and maybe share some ideas about things.

• Upvote 1