Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with JVM205 - worthwhile upgrade from X3 Live?

mykejb

Really the question is as the title.  I have an X3 Live  and I use it occasionally through a keyboard amp (Traynor K4) but more often than not I use it with a Marshall JVM205 combo using the four cable method. 

Would an upgrade to the Helix floor unit give me any major improvements? I know the X3 is pretty old tech now and it seems to work ok, but I do like the look of the Helix unit and I have to admit I'm a sucker for new shiny stuff :)

I play in cover bands playing rock/pop etc

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Mike

made in mexico teles can be totally re-designed: paint(lacquer or polyurethane) high grade hardware(steel or brass) custom shop pickups(bare knuckle/seymour duncan/lollar) bourns switchcraft orange drop circuit combo, professional fret rectification, bone nut, high grade tunning machines and guitarrist own choice set up, and YES, you will sound as you will never imagine

Custom Shop Masterbuilt Tele don't need too much modification and when you hear the band playing together you WILL NOT notice the difference between helix, X3 made in japan/mexico or even the player on stage; drums smash all the beautiful sound of a guitar tone rig, and also your custom shop masterbuilt may sound crap

if X3 is a ford focus and helix a lambo, I may say both do the same: transport from one place to another

X3 sounds great, it demands much much work tweaking and tweaking

helix sounds incredibly great, it demands the same effort as using the x3

go for a helix, play better, write better songs, reharsal more and well, do your soundcheck untill it's balanced and have fun =)

If you are going to use it direct, record with it, or use FRFR speakers I say yes. If you just want another multi effects floor board for into an amp then I would stick with the X3.

I completely agree.

and when you hear the band playing together you WILL NOT notice the difference between helix, X3;

The audience at 1 am in the morning may not be able to tell the difference between a sac of dung banging off a tin building as long as it carries a beat. So In regards to both boxes making noise, that is where most of the similarity ends as far as a comparisons in tone. I do agree with you that Helix sounds good. Better than everything they have released in most cases so far IMO, by miles. So to the OP, yes I think you will hear and feel the difference.

• Upvote 1

The bottom line is this.

The audience (in my case congregation) can't hear the difference between an HD 500 and Helix I think. They can't hear the difference between a Squier CV Tele and my Anderson that costs 10 times the money new.

But...

...I can, and it makes me play better and enjoy life more.

• Upvote 1

it absolutely worths every cent you pay for an expensive music device, I'm NOT presuming but how many times I've been said "dude! I can't make my squier cv guitar sounds the way you do!... "how do you do that?" even the same happens with those cheap korg processors; it's all a matter of tweaking the best possible.

BUT, if you are a professional musician it's your responsabilty to get the best of the best, AND YES, you play better, you sound incredible and you enjoy life and make the audience happy... YES I have cheap pedals 'cuz I find them useful for certain applications, but I totally notice the quality and differences. Very interesting those experiences when I have to play with other musicians and when is my turn to play the audience notice the difference inmediately; they do NOT know(don't have to, they are just listeners) what it is(not much different from the oher musicians around, they are carying almost the same expensive devices involved) but they definately get surprised and amazed by this difference; i'ts all in your playing and ears...