Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vocals into the Firehawk?

adagosto

Hello,

Can someone please confirm this.

Can you plug a vocal microhone (e.g. SM58) directly into the Firehawk using one of the Monitor Inputs? Is this one of the intended used of this port?

And assuming you can, how do vocals sound through this amp? Can the vocal signal be adjusted through the App (basic EQ, reverb, delay...).

It seems to me that this amp should be able to do all this and would represent a complete meltdown by Line 6 if it can't do all this, but I don't see anything specific talking about this feature.

Assuming it cannot do this for the moment, the way to get there would be by running the vocal signal into a mixer that had the effects built into it and then run the mixer into the Monitor Input.  Is that correct?

Thanks!!!

• Upvote 1

The Firehawk 1500 is first of all a stage amp. We do have a stereo Monitor Input but this one does not have mic pre amps so you would need a small mixer or something else with a mic pre amp.

We have thought about this but wanted to keep the guitar application as clear as possible.

Thanks!

Yes it still seems really strange that you would go through all the work to make the Firehawk 1500 have all the nice sounding acoustic guitar ability, but then not complete the package by facilitating the vocals to accompany the nice tones.

I have looked at the L2t and that's an option, but in this case I'd still need to connect my Amplifi Table Top and now things are becoming more complicated.  The Firehawk 1500 was a simplistic way to do all this and I could justify the price tag.  Now If I have to add another device such as a mixer....there goes the simplicity. 

Then when you look at the cost of the L2t and compare it to other similar devices like the Mackie, well things get tougher.  LOTS of great options out there.

This Firehawk 1500 seems like the guy who intercepted the ball, ran it all the way down to the 1 yard line and fumbled it out of the endzone. Still a good play, but.....

I'll keep looking.

Thank you for the reply.

The L2t has an 1/8" aux input where you could connect the Amplify TT to. The Firehawk 1500 was intentionally not designed as an "all in one- personal pa"- it's a stage amp, for guitar.

Had we added a mic input we would have added some separate controls for the mic channel with gain, eq, effects and the you would look at a panel with 8 additional knobs- on a guitar amp.

• Upvote 1

The L2t has an 1/8" aux input where you could connect the Amplify TT to. The Firehawk 1500 was intentionally not designed as an "all in one- personal pa"- it's a stage amp, for guitar.

Had we added a mic input we would have added some separate controls for the mic channel with gain, eq, effects and the you would look at a panel with 8 additional knobs- on a guitar amp.

I think that is the yet to be created "'Line 6 StageHawkScape 51500'" ;) It combines Marty McFly's hoverboard technology with Doc's ginormous 1.21 gigawatt FRFRHR high powered , 67 speaker system - that levitates itself to the gig! :)

back-to-the-future-speaker.jpg

Yes I agree, but if I were designing this, I'd add that functionality to the App and save them to presets OR enable the Amp's EQ knobs to have a dual functionality just as the volume knob has when you press it in.

I think you meant to say 1/4" aux input on the L2t.  And yes, the L2t would clearly be a good option, but its priced a little high for that field.

But back to the Firehawk....so if you were to use the Firehawk as your coffee shop acoustic guitar/vocal rig, you would get what device to make that all happen well?  A small PA?  The only small PA's I have seen tend to be noisy little devils and they get quite and clean when they get bigger. 

Thoughts?

Thank you again!!

Adam

I think you meant to say 1/4" aux input on the L2t.  

L2t has two 1/4" / XLR combined regular mono inputs on the side panel, a single main XLR mono input on the back panel-  and also has RCA stereo AUX input on the back panel.. (no 1/8" though, unless I missed one on the side panel?)

750-SSL2T_back.jpg

But back to the Firehawk....so if you were to use the Firehawk as your coffee shop acoustic guitar/vocal rig, ...

..... then you would be using the wrong device. The L2/3t with its built-in mixer is a much better choice for that purpose.

..... then you would be using the wrong device. The L2/3t with its built-in mixer is a much better choice for that purpose.

Yes, and it's wayyy lighter! One L2t is really loud, and you can plug a few things in. If you have two, you can use a pair of AES cables, connect both in/out L6Link on both speakers, and that doubles your inputs, and they will automatically send each other the signals being input from both and pan them in stereo.

I can easily carry one L2t with one hand, and no back pain. Moving the FH1500 at all tweaks my lower back - though disclaimer, I have pre-existing back issues anyway; so - keep your back strong and healthy! It will never go back to not being susceptible to tweaks with just visits to the chiropractor, trust me, I was going there almost weekly for a long time. I need to do more core strength exercise to be able to lug the FH1500 around safely (hence why it's been staying at our practice spot and hasn't even gone home with me yet!)

My chiropractor says I should be able to do my age in push ups, sit ups, and jumping jacks daily for a good place to start...

Needless to say, got some work to do :)

Yes I will agree with you all that the best solution for the singer song writer guy would be the L2t option over the FH1500. However, I also want one solution for all situations and accept the sacrifice in losing some of the potential tonal ability that the L2t might have over the FH1500 in the signer song writer world. 

Buying a FH1500 and a L2t is cost prohibitive and has too much functional overlap.

That being said, the FH1500 with a small PA might not be a bad albeit very expensive way to go.

I think for me, the question will come down to this, just how good of a job would the L2t do at playing the Pod farm amp models from the Line 6 Table Top Amplifi device? If you guys think it will do a convincing job at this, then I'd say that is my overall best option in this case. I's actually rather connect the Table Top to the L2t than O would connect a small PA to the FH1500.  It just seems easier and cleaner to me.  Plus it's one less piece of gear to research!!

Again, thank you for the help!

..... However, I also want one solution for all situations ..

So far you've only mentioned vocals and acoustic guitar. Are you also looking for electric guitar processing?

If so, I think your best setup for vocals, acoustic, and electric guitar is a Firehawk FX device (not a Firehawk 1500 or AMPLIFi TT but in the same vein processor-wise) and an L2/3t speaker. You're purchasing only what you need - one mixer/PA device and one electric guitar processor. No redundant big speaker, no external mixer/PA, and no chiropractor. Connect your acoustic guitar and mic into Channels 1 & 2 respectively of the Stagesource, and connect your electric guitar into the Firehawk FX with its outputs into the Stagesource rear panel.

Yes I agree, but if I were designing this, I'd add that functionality to the App and save them to presets OR enable the Amp's EQ knobs to have a dual functionality just as the volume knob has when you press it in.

I think you meant to say 1/4" aux input on the L2t. And yes, the L2t would clearly be a good option, but its priced a little high for that field.

But back to the Firehawk....so if you were to use the Firehawk as your coffee shop acoustic guitar/vocal rig, you would get what device to make that all happen well? A small PA? The only small PA's I have seen tend to be noisy little devils and they get quite and clean when they get bigger.

Thoughts?

Thank you again!!

Adam

Thanks, I meant RCA Aux input.

With an L2t you can connect your mic to one mic input, your acoustic guitar to the other pre amp input, add eq and effects, connect your AMPLIFi TT to the RCA Aux inputs and still have a line input left for a laptop or drum machine.

The L2t can cover any coffee house situation. If you need more volume you could use the L3t (disclaimer- the weight is similar to a Firehawk 1500)

Another option is a small PA, a small mixer and 6 signal cables and 3 power cables.

Ok guys. Great information and I really appreciate your feedback.  And for Silverhead, yes you are correct I did not state that in this thread.  I'm sorry about that.  I actually have a few threads out there on the Line 6 forum trying to nail down the best way to go.  I think I have it now based on what I'm really looking for (electric guitar modeling, acoustic guitar, vocals, MP3...all sound convincingly good).

To do this I should got with the SoundSource L2t and connect my Table Top using the RCA input. 

If I really wanted to make it even better, I'd sell my TT and get a Firehawk FX pedal device.  This makes sense if I want to continue using the app.  I suppose I could go with an HD500 as well, but I think the Firehawk might be better for me.

This has been a very helpful thread.

Thanks!

Another way of doing it would be to get a small vocal pedal like the voice live play from tc electronic, then all your vocal processing is separate and I think you can plug it into the 1500? It even does phantom power for condenser mics

I use a firehawk fx and voicelive pedal played through my stagesource lt3 , sounds great

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spikey (or anyone with direct knowledge/experience here),

Are you running a vocal processor into the FH1500 and playing the guitar as well? If so, how are you hooking things up? How does it all sound?

I'm still on the fence with the FH1500 vs Amplifi Table Top + L2t sound source.

My four main objectives in order are these:

1. Great modeled tone from the Amplifi device. All the amp modeling needs to sound really good (FRFR...)

2. Great sounding acoustic guitar tones plus the ability to add effects like delay, chorus, reverb...

3. At home mp3 party speaker I can Bluetooth stream to it and it sound like a decent stereo sound.

4. Sing through it. Being there is no mic in and eq for this on the FH1500 it will require a PA input. Whereas the L2t is ready to go.

I just get the feeling thst the FH1500 will do a better job at the first 3 things on my list over the L2t but that's where I hope you guys could clear up for me.

There is an added bonus going with the FH1500 in that I can sell my Table Top and use those funds to put towards the FH1500 and end up with a slight upgrade.

Both are expensive options so I need to get it right!

I think the lt2 would do a better job of your vocals as it has reverb built in, I use a voicelive play vocal pedal by tc helicon into my lt3 and it sounds awesome, obviously that's more cost than you were probably counting on but I think it depends how much singing your planning on doing

I only do backing vocals so it's a bit of a luxury

Does anyone else have experience running vocals into the FH1500?  How are you doing it and how does it sound?

Overall, I'm leaning towards the FH1500 over the L2t/L3t option. This is mostly because I can end up with effectively three amplifiers (e. gutar/a. guitar and bass). I can then thin the hurd at home and this will make the wify happy (I just wont tell her how much I paid!!)

I assume you get the vocal sounds into the FH1500 via the left/right monitor XLR inputs.  Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone else have experience running vocals into the FH1500?  How are you doing it and how does it sound?

Overall, I'm leaning towards the FH1500 over the L2t/L3t option. This is mostly because I can end up with effectively three amplifiers (e. gutar/a. guitar and bass). I can then thin the hurd at home and this will make the wify happy (I just wont tell her how much I paid!!)

I assume you get the vocal sounds into the FH1500 via the left/right monitor XLR inputs.  Is this correct?

Thanks for the help.

I meant to test vocals with FH1500 last night, but got sidetracked doing the Helix-FH wet/dry/wet setup. Next time I jam with the guys I will bring the FH1500 and set it up as my monitor, run their vocals into it, see how it holds up.

I ordered some cheap Shure mics from Gtr Ctr yesterday; the had the SM48 on sale for $30 each, got a couple of them on the way, should be a the store for pickup on Monday. 

I don't sing much; so it won't be a great test for me to do it at home, but I can at least sort out how loud you can get without feedback, and how close the mic can get; not sure what to expect.. I won't have time 'till Tuesday afternoon to give that a test run; I'll report back if I get to it any sooner!

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive this old topic, but I´m thinking about making the same move. Currently I play with a Boss GP-10 (for guitar modeling and alt tunings only) through a TC Voicelive 3 extreme. Vocal signal goes to powered speakers and guitar signal to a Fender Champ 100, but besides having the extra gear to carry, I would love to improve on the guitar sound, and the Firehawk 1500 looks like the perfect solution. 

I sing and play lead guitar and the rest are backing tracks, would I be able to run the backing tracks and the vocal signal (harmonies and all) through the 1500?

I have been trying different ways to accomplish this and for the most part it works but I have run into some noise cancelling issues when doing so. I ran my helix, my beatbuddy, and my mic (through my digitech gnx4 for vocal processing) into the Firehawk 1500 in many different ways to test it; but it seems, every so often, the sound would drop out while I sang while playing guitar and the drums going. I ran the helix and the digitech into a mixer and into the XLR ins on the FH1500 (with a 1/4" from the helix into the guitar input of the FH1500) and than the beatbuddy into the fx return of the FH1500. I have also ran my beatbuddy, and digitech into the helix and than into the FH1500's XLR ins and the guitar in via 1/4" helix out. Still had the same problem. I still love the amp but it doesn't do what I was hoping it would. I will still try some more tinkering with it and if I figure a way I will let you know. 

Thanks for the reply. The sound drop you get is on the whole amp itself, or is just some parts of your setup? (Meaning, maybe the guitar keeps working but the vocals drops or something like that?). I'm about to pull the trigger and get the amp, since the guitar tone alone is worth it IMO, but it would be fantastic if it can also work as a all-in-one sound solution. Once I get mine I will try some thing out and report back :-)

• 2 months later...

I have been trying different ways to accomplish this and for the most part it works but I have run into some noise cancelling issues when doing so. I ran my helix, my beatbuddy, and my mic (through my digitech gnx4 for vocal processing) into the Firehawk 1500 in many different ways to test it; but it seems, every so often, the sound would drop out while I sang while playing guitar and the drums going. I ran the helix and the digitech into a mixer and into the XLR ins on the FH1500 (with a 1/4" from the helix into the guitar input of the FH1500) and than the beatbuddy into the fx return of the FH1500. I have also ran my beatbuddy, and digitech into the helix and than into the FH1500's XLR ins and the guitar in via 1/4" helix out. Still had the same problem. I still love the amp but it doesn't do what I was hoping it would. I will still try some more tinkering with it and if I figure a way I will let you know. 

Hi guys- Just wanted to bump this thread since I'm considering a FH1500 for use as an FRFR (heard it works great) and to double as a floor monitor using the stand on the back.  Has anyone had better luck than zivdud?