Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Speaker Problem/replacment

Tonka33

I have had my Spider IV for 2 years and everything has been great.  As of late on the clean channel there is a buzz when playing the high E, B, G strings.  I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  Do I need a new speaker? Also, if anyone has replaced thier speaker in a Spider IV 75 what did you switch to? Thanks

i would verify it is the speaker/amp by using another guitar. then try tightening screws and nuts that may be loose. then get another speaker with the same specs and substitute the original. i wouldn't buy one until i was certain it is the speaker. i suppose you can't hear the buzz on the distortion channel.

I have had my Spider IV for 2 years and everything has been great.  As of late on the clean channel there is a buzz when playing the high E, B, G strings.  I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  Do I need a new speaker? Also, if anyone has replaced the speaker in a Spider IV 75 what did you switch to? Thanks

Also - plug in a set of headphones into the back jack and see if you hear the problem buzz.

If you do need to swap out the speaker, I would recommend getting one of the same ones that are in it - these speakers have been designed to provide a flat even tone so that the amp modeler tonality comes through corrrectly.

Thanks for the reply.  I checked the amp with a different guitar like you said and it wasnt the amp.  I decided to switch the battery to my pickups and that fixed it.  I havent had EMGs that long and it was the first time I switched the battery.  I didn't know this may be one of the signs of a dead battery.

• 2 months later...

I've been seeing from other forums how some spider IV users are disappointed with the overall tone of the amp at gigging levels and have replaced the stock celestions with various eminence brand speakers to satisfactory effect. Has anyone heard of this?

FWIW, I use the HD150 Spider IV head with 2x12 (open back) and 4x12 Marshall cabinets (depending on the venue we're playing). Both have all G12T-75 Celestions in them and I think they both sound great cranked. I use the Hi Gain Green Diezel amp modeling.