Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Can not connect to device

kayzee

I just got my helix and i was trying to download patches but the problem is when i connect my helix to my mac. i opened "helix" program and it says "Can not connect to device."

Any idea why this stuff is happening?

• Upvote 1

"...

Any idea why this stuff is happening?

Are you running El Capitan? That OS seems to have screwed up many audio devices across the music industry. Apple has been very slow to acknowledge or attempt to fix it. As I understand it Line 6 is in the process of developing a specific driver rather than relying on the now-dysfunctional Core Audio spec.

Are you running El Capitan? That OS seems to have screwed up many audio devices across the music industry. Apple has been very slow to acknowledge or attempt to fix it. As I understand it Line 6 is in the process of developing a specific driver rather than relying on the now-dysfunctional Core Audio spec.

Yes I'm running El Capitan. Thats lame. Thanks you for responding

Again, when you run Line 6 updater, does that program see Helix and bring up its picture/icon? That would tell you if the Mac see's Helix ok, it would tell you that the USB cable is working, and it would tell you that nothings broken on Helix USB comm port side.

I finally got up the nerve to upgrade to El Capitan 10.11.4.

I tried to hook the Helix up to the Mac via USB and got the dreaded "can not connect to device" on the Helix application.

So, while the Helix application was still open, I turned the Helix off, counted to 5, then turned it on again.

That worked!  

Sorry for the highly technical details and jargon.

I finally got up the nerve to upgrade to El Capitan 10.11.4.

I tried to hook the Helix up to the Mac via USB and got the dreaded "can not connect to device" on the Helix application.

So, while the Helix application was still open, I turned the Helix off, counted to 5, then turned it on again.

That worked!  

Sorry for the highly technical details and jargon.

I have the same problem with the Helix app on Mac OSX. I will try your suggestions.

I'm running 10.11.4 and I had the problem with Helix app 1.04 and also still with the new beta 1.10 (which is very cool btw). I have an iMac and I started running it in a USB port directly in the iMac. The Line 6 updater works fine, no problems there. However, both versions of the Helix app display the "can not connect to device " message after a while. The connection appears to remain in place longer when connected through a USB hub strangely.

I also checked that in Preferences the audio input in/out is not through Helix and no other audio application is running. I hope this will be fixed soon, because I can't export "Setlist" let alone "Bundle" because the connection will be lost before the export is finished. It seems that it may be a problem of OSX though ...

• Upvote 1

I have the same problem with the Helix app on Mac OSX. I will try your suggestions.

I'm running 10.11.4 and I had the problem with Helix app 1.04 and also still with the new beta 1.10 (which is very cool btw). I have an iMac and I started running it in a USB port directly in the iMac. The Line 6 updater works fine, no problems there. However, both versions of the Helix app display the "can not connect to device " message after a while. The connection appears to remain in place longer when connected through a USB hub strangely.

I also checked that in Preferences the audio input in/out is not through Helix and no other audio application is running. I hope this will be fixed soon, because I can't export "Setlist" let alone "Bundle" because the connection will be lost before the export is finished. It seems that it may be a problem of OSX though ...

I spoke too soon.

I have been able to see and use the new editor on my 10.11.4 El Capitan Mac.  But it either loses connections within a few minutes or, more commonly, won't connect at all (even though other software can see the Helix).

Since it HAS worked, I know it's not my fault.

I'm thinking of going back to Yosemite (again - I reverted once before because of the Helix).

In the meantime, my Win10 Surface Pro 4 works swimmingly with the Helix and its new editor.

In my case, El Capitan still is very problematic.

Today, Helix (editor) is working fine with iMac, ElCap 10.11.4 because I'm using a powered USB hub.

That would be really nice if that were the solution but I'm skeptical.

Until the issues with the Helix and Mac are sorted out the easiest solution may be to set up a VMWare virtual machine or some kind of dual boot to either Windows or an earlier Mac version if you have the tech savvy and software available. Is anyone currently doing that?

As I have posted in related threads, this seems to be a problem with Mac's that have USB3 ports. Use a USB2 hub on these computers and you should have more success.

Late 2009 Mac here- I hope yer right  B)

As Amsdenj stated, people are failing to get it to hold connection using USB 3. We all know that its gots issues connecting folks, now lets figure out why. Is there ANYONE using a USB-3 port, and able to connect and keep a connection with it?

• 3 months later...

I am having the same issue. I am using windows 10 and both the updater and HELIX editor are not reading my HELIX Rack.

I downloaded the recent firmware and it could not find my helix. I then downloaded an older version of the HELIX fiemware 1.12 and that found my helix in the updater but still not in the editor. I upgraded my firmware to 2.0.1 i removed the old 1.12 firmware update file off my PC and then downloaded the recent 2.0.1 updater and editor software hoping that THAT would find my HELIX and they programs still dont!

Please Line 6 sort this!

My Helix Rack is connected into the USB port on the back of my PC and not using a usb Hub. I dont understand why this is happening... :(

Try following the instructions. It appears you used an older Updater program when doing the installation. This is what is causing the problem.

You need to download the Helix app installer first. Then run this installer. It will also install the latest Line 6 Updater program and driver. Then you run the new Updater program to install the latest firmware. You do NOT need to download the firmware file at all - the Updater does this. There's another key element to performing a successful update. It's in the installation instructions that you will find on the downloads page. Read them and follow them.

• Upvote 1

---------- interlude -----------

I really admire silverhead for posting installation instructions again and again!

Please help yourself - and take the heat off him:

READ(tfinstallinstructions) ;)

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.01!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, etc.

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). If you’re running Helix FW 1.12, your current Helix application version should be 1.12.

NOTE: You may want to back up individual Setlists so you can restore them to empty setlists without affecting the new 2.01 factory presets.

3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the NEW Helix editor application (2.01), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.09).

4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.09), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.01). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX 2.01 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW:

7. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix/Helix Rack.

HELIX FLOOR ONLY: While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

HELIX RACK ONLY: While holding knobs 5 and 6 below the screen, turn on Helix Rack. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…†to appear and let go.

8. Using the NEW Helix editor application (2.01), restore the user presets you backed up in step 2.
  • Upvote 2

READ(tfinstallinstructions) ;)

EDIT: The reason I keep harping on following the installation instructions is because it is critical for this update. Hopefully the more people who see these reminders, the more will actually read and follow the instructions! Line 6 Support has been tracking update issues and to date about 95% of them are the direct result of NOT following the instructions.

downloaded the latest helix app i double click and it keeps saying ''Helix device not connected'' when it is and turned on.

Helix has the latest firmware. not good :(

But did you reinstall the latest firmware with the latest version of Line 6 Updater - the one that came with the latest Helix app installer?

Please confirm that you have followed the installation instructions as posted above - from start to finish in order. If you kinda-sorta did Step 5 before you did Step 3 you WILL have problems.

Then I suggest you open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 tech support. It seems you have a problem that's out of the ordinary, perhaps unique, and probably related to something in your computer environment.

Have you tired using different USB ports on your computer? Sometimes front panel ports have an internal hub that can cause issues. Try a rear panel port if you haven't yet.

downloaded the latest helix app i double click and it keeps saying ''Helix device not connected'' when it is and turned on.

Helix has the latest firmware. not good :(

Did you do the 9/10 reset after installing the latest firmware?

I did dude press the 5 and 6 controls.... oh man i am getting very worried now :( I have tried aload of different USB cables too and my PC is finding that the HELIX is connected but as for the HELIX APP itself always saying ''HLEIX device not connected'' :( i hope this issue is resolved asap.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I did dude press the 5 and 6 controls.... oh man i am getting very worried now :( I have tried aload of different USB cables too and my PC is finding that the HELIX is connected but as for the HELIX APP itself always saying ''HLEIX device not connected'' :( i hope this issue is resolved asap.

Solution:

I had had the exact same issue with the Helix Rack for the past week. I tried everything in the suggestions including rolling my computer back. Here is what worked for me. For whatever reason when new video/audio drivers or software are installed, windows at times but not always, reverts UAC (User Account Control) to its default setting. So long story short, Right click on your Helix updater and tick the box "Run this program as administrator" and do the same for the updater as well. I know, this baffled me as I am the sole user on my computer and am by all intents and purposes, the administrator. Regardless of this fact windows in all its wisdom sometimes reverts drivers to default UAC privileges. I hope this solves your issue. It is most certainly a weight off my mind. Back to rockin' on the Helix!