Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I connect the audio from my iPad to the helix so it plays out through my amp?

nippyjun

Hello

I'm considering purchasing a helix.

I currently own a digitech ipb-10 and thought I would like to try the helix.

I need to be able to send the audio from my iPad to the helix so that both the iPad audio and my guitar sound are both outputted together to my amplifier.

Is there a way to do that?

Would the AUX IN be the port I use to hook up my iPad? If yes what type of connector would allow this?

Thanks.

You can use aux in, returns, or some other fancy tricks (like USB) but in any case all these options will require you to "wire in" a signal path to output that audio. It's not an automatic thing.

Not USB - wrong connector type. The iPad wants to connect to a USB A (female) connector.  The Helix's USB connector is a "B" connector like those found in printers and audio interfaces.  He'll have to use the Aux In and sum the iPad's signal to mono.  That's the simplest route.  Or, for the complicated route, create two effects return blocks  and two pan blocks (L/R) for stereo. Each Return and Pan block would of course have its own path - Path 1a and 1b.

I'd guess going from the iPad 3.5mm output into the Aux of the Helix would work as that's standard audio.

It looks like you can from the manual if you're using USB too.

P20 - "Helix also receives input from USB 1/2, but it's dedicated for monitoring audio from your computer (or iPad®) and bypasses all processing blocks"

The routing diagram on P45 shows USB 1/2 being routed directly to the Helix output section so it looks like it should work as long as you don't want to process the output.

Not tried this as I don't have a Helix, although if I get a good deal from my guy at DV247 tomorrow I might have one soon :)

Mike

P20 - "Helix also receives input from USB 1/2, but it's dedicated for monitoring audio from your computer (or iPad®) and bypasses all processing blocks"

Note that you also need the Apple camera kit in order to use an iPad with Helix.

Not USB - wrong connector type. The iPad wants to connect to a USB A (female) connector.  The Helix's USB connector is a "B" connector like those found in printers and audio interfaces.  He'll have to use the Aux In and sum the iPad's signal to mono.  That's the simplest route.  Or, for the complicated route, create two effects return blocks  and two pan blocks (L/R) for stereo. Each Return and Pan block would of course have its own path - Path 1a and 1b.

No need to create blocks for this, just select returns 1/2 or 3/4 as stereo input.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is incorrect. You can use USB. It requires something like the CCK. It's the standard way you connect a USB camera, USB midi keyboard, or Helix, to an iPad or iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Once I connect the ipad via usb can I control the volume of the ipad's output? I believe you can't control the ipad's volume once you use the camera connection kit. Can you control the volume in the helix itself?

If you're going to spend money to make this happen you'll get far greater mileage from a small mixer. Even something like http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/502would give you far greater flexibility. Both Helix and iPad plug into the mixer and the mixer plugs into your monitoring system. You're then able to mix at will with the flexibility to add a few other sound sources like computer, other people's Helix, etc.

I don't use the USB input on my Helix so can't comment on controlling the volume from there.

Hello

I'm considering purchasing a helix.

I currently own a digitech ipb-10 and thought I would like to try the helix.

I need to be able to send the audio from my iPad to the helix so that both the iPad audio and my guitar sound are both outputted together to my amplifier.

Is there a way to do that?

Would the AUX IN be the port I use to hook up my iPad? If yes what type of connector would allow this?

Thanks.

A simple solution would be to use the min-jack (3.5) headphone output on the iPad with a commonly available cable that goes from mini-jack and splits to two 1/4 male connectors. Just plug these into two return jacks and you will have a stereo input. You would then set up an input block and path that uses the returns you plugged the iPad into. Set the output block for the iPad path to whichever output you are using for your guitar amp. If you wanted an even simpler method, and don't care if the iPad is in stereo, you could use a mini-jack to 1/4. stereo out of the iPad headphone summed to a single mono 1/4 output plug. As you are going out to a guitar amplifier you probably want the iPad summed to mono anyway. I think this should work just fine.

Mono to a single return input

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP110?adpos=1o1&creative=54989267161&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLLzvdmE-csCFRJZhgodys0ADQ

Stereo to two Helix return inputs

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP153

• 2 weeks later...

No need to create blocks for this, just select returns 1/2 or 3/4 as stereo input.

I was looking at this thread again.

I have connected my iPad to the helix using a 1/8" to 1/4" cable and run it to return 1 on the helix.

I then create a return 1 block in the patch and fiddle with the settings and it works well.

But what did you mean by "no need to create blocks for this, just select returns 1/2 or 3/4 as stereo input"?

Is there a setting that for every patch I wouldn't have to create a return block?

That would be great.

Is there a stereo input global setting?

Thanks.

I was looking at this thread again.

I have connected my iPad to the helix using a 1/8" to 1/4" cable and run it to return 1 on the helix.

I then create a return 1 block in the patch and fiddle with the settings and it works well.

But what did you mean by "no need to create blocks for this, just select returns 1/2 or 3/4 as stereo input"?

Is there a setting that for every patch I wouldn't have to create a return block?

That would be great.

Is there a stereo input global setting?

Thanks.

Not a global setting unfortunately.

Navigate to a input icon and you can change the input source. This is a setting for each patch separately.

But can you control the iPad volume with this method?

You cannot control the output volume of your iPad using the iPad Camera Kit and connecting it to your Helix via USB. Said another way, the output volume controls of the iPad are disabled when using the Camera Kit.

Hi, Thanks for all the responses.

I received my Camera connection kit yesterday. I got the new one that is usb 3 compatible (not that it matters) and it works fine. As stated above you cannot change the volume but the volume is actually quite loud which for the most part works for me.

I also had gotten a 1/8" to 1/4" cable to connect the ipad using the headphone jack and connecting that to one of the returns on the helix. With this method I have to add a return block to each patch but I can control the volume either through the ipad volume control or using the settings for the return block. So more flexibility with this method but more work.

The usb method is easier but less flexible.

The other thing I want to mention is that with the camera connection kit the sound automatically passes through to the helix and out to my amp without having to do anything. It just does that automatically.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...